Possible First Build Help

Teslas Fate

Background Info: 14 year old who wants cheap gaming/ everyday pc.

I found a $30 (aprox. $44 after shipping and tax) usd Dell Optiplex 3020 without CPU,Ram,and HDD/SSD on ebay, I'm wanting to put an i7-4790k in it but not sure about Ram and SSD and Gpu.

I want to upgrade its 250ish w psu with a 400w tfx psu but am uncertain if it will fit.

HELP: Finding the Cpu,Ram,and SSD for cheap, GPU that will fit, and fin 400w tfx psu for cheap and will fit in it for sure

EDIT: Its an sff not a regular size

Are you sure the motherboard suports devil's canyon and also doesn't have proprietary motherboard power connectors?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

10 minutes ago, Teslas Fate said:

Background Info: 14 year old who wants cheap gaming/ everyday pc.

I found a $30 (aprox. $44 after shipping and tax) usd Dell Optiplex 3020 without CPU,Ram,and HDD/SSD on ebay, I'm wanting to put an i7-4790k in it but not sure about Ram and SSD and Gpu.

I want to upgrade its 250ish w psu with a 400w tfx psu but am uncertain if it will fit.

HELP: Finding the Cpu,Ram,and SSD for cheap, GPU that will fit, and fin 400w tfx psu for cheap and will fit in it for sure

Likely not worth bothering with anything like that.

What's your full budget/country for a PC?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

You're probably going to run into issues upgrading the PSU on a system like that unless you get another one from Dell. A lot of the time builds like this get proprietary connectors for the Motherboard and PSU so finding replacements is difficult.

If you already have to supply the CPU.RAM and SSD, PSU and a GPU might as well just get a cheap case and a used z87/z97 board (or one of the H variants) and skip the headache of trying to hunt down compatible OEM parts. 

1 hour ago, fasauceome said:

Are you sure the motherboard suports devil's canyon and also doesn't have proprietary motherboard power connectors?

The 4790k is supported and I can get an adapter for the power connectors

15 minutes ago, Teslas Fate said:

What motherboard is it? Also, I've never seen those adapters be particularly easy to come by.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

21 minutes ago, Teslas Fate said:

I'm pretty sure that VRM is going to die trying to run an i7, you should completely abandon this project my man, it's not worth the headaches.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Teslas Fate said:

That's LGA 1155, you can't put a 4790k in there.

Primary PC:

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I'm pretty sure that VRM is going to die trying to run an i7, you should completely abandon this project my man, it's not worth the headaches.

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Then what would be a good 100-150 usd build I could possibly do??

6 minutes ago, Teslas Fate said:

The 4790k alone is above $150, not sure why you planned on that in the first place. That motherboard with an i5 3570 and a gtx 1050 from eBay could work.

Primary PC:

2 minutes ago, Teslas Fate said:

Basically nothing, as a bare minimum $300 Athlon GE system would be what you'd want to buy

but if you just want something, that can techncially load up some games

look for an OEM system with an A8/A9/A10/A12 APU inside of it. And if it has dual channel RAM, it will at least be able to run some games.

Just check for benchmarks maybe, and shipping on ebay would be a bitch

assuming it works this one may not be entirely horrible.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkCentre-M78-SFF-AMD-A8-5500B-3-20GHz-8GB-500GB-Win10Pro-Installed/183478275850?hash=item2ab8284f0a:g:gMYAAOSwAghazPZQ

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Teslas Fate said:

This is what you should save up for as a bare minimum PC, doesn't need a case

the $55 Athlon 200GE exists but I don't think it's worth buying, so the R3 2200G becomes the bare minimum CPU to buy.

PSU pricing still sucks atm, but you don't want to cheap out on that either.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/D2Bsjy
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/D2Bsjy/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($98.79 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($79.61 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory  ($67.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Silicon Power - 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($23.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master - MasterWatt 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($47.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $318.27
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-10 18:50 EDT-0400

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

The 4790k alone is above $150, not sure why you planned on that in the first place. That motherboard with an i5 3570 and a gtx 1050 from eBay could work.

how much would that cost??

Just now, Teslas Fate said:

how much would that cost??

How about you see for yourself? It's all gonna be on either eBay or craigslist, and those prices will vary based on your locale.

Primary PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

22 hours ago, fasauceome said:

I'm utterly confused because I seen a post on Dells website if it would work and someone confirmed it will.

https://www.dell.com/community/Optiplex-Desktops/Optiplex-3020-SFF-support-i7-4790-CPU/td-p/6071480

https://www.cnet.com/products/intel-core-i7-4790k-4-ghz-processor-cm8064601710501/specs/

8 minutes ago, Teslas Fate said:

I'm utterly confused because I seen a post on Dells website if it would work and someone confirmed it will.

https://www.dell.com/community/Optiplex-Desktops/Optiplex-3020-SFF-support-i7-4790-CPU/td-p/6071480

The motherboard you linked says lga 1155. To be certain, you can find out what CPU is currently in the system

Primary PC:

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

The motherboard you linked says lga 1155. To be certain, you can find out what CPU is currently in the system

there isn't one in it

2 minutes ago, Teslas Fate said:

there isn't one in it

Are there any chipset labels of any kind, such as h81 or something?

Primary PC:

Just now, Teslas Fate said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263955915853

Idk I haven't bought it yet

You should ask the seller what CPU used to be inside then.

Primary PC:

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

I just asked I'll tell you when I get a reply

9 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Actually this might help you till I get an answer

LGA 1150 Socket H3 Motherboard, DVDRW, Power Supply, HDD Caddy and Heatsink with Fan.

43 minutes ago, Teslas Fate said:

Actually this might help you till I get an answer

LGA 1150 Socket H3 Motherboard, DVDRW, Power Supply, HDD Caddy and Heatsink with Fan.

Ok if it has lga 1150 as opposed to the lga 1155 you listed earlier, it should work with any haswell CPU, but a 4790s should be your consideration. They're no slouch in modern games, and the low TDP will help with the single power 4 pin input

Primary PC: