DIY Lithium Battery - What could go wrong??

I was watching the video with the constant fear Linus would loose a finger to the battery.

I love these tech/hacky videos. But Please don't mess around with angry angry pixies...
Safety first folks and you'll be fine.

#LinusDriftTips

I always wanted one of these things as a kid, but we never had the money for it. I'm surprised you can still sort of fit in one as a grown man, though at that point it'd probably be better just to get an electric go-kart.

OWNED CONSOLES [ INTV | NES | SNES | GG | N64 | GBCPS1 | GCN | GBA/GBA SPDC | PS2 | Wii | DS Lite/DSi | Wii U | 3DS/XL/nXL | Switch ] PLANNED ( XSX | Amico ) TV: E420VL + CT-26WX15N

GAMING PC/WORKSTATION [ Aether Case: FD Focus G Mini | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3950X (16c32t @3.5GHz) | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3600MHz | Mobo: Aorus X570 mITX | PSU: SSR-600TL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: WD SN750 1TB NVMe | HDD: 4TB WD Black | KB/M: Dell Multimedia USB Hub Keyboard (SK-8135) + Logitech G903 HERO | Display: ASUS VE248H + Dell E177FP | Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB Wireless

HTPC/HOME SERVER [ Phazon Case: Antec 900 Two | CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black (4c4t @3.67GHz) | GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB | RAM: 12GB (2x4GB+2x2GB) DDR3 @1400MHz | Mobo: MSI 870A-G54 | PSU: SSR-450PL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: Crucial 240GB SATA | HDD: 8TB HGST Ultrastar + 750GB WD Caviar Green + 200 GB Seagate | KB/M: Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000

1 hour ago, VinLAURiA said:

#LinusDriftTips

I always wanted one of these things as a kid, but we never had the money for it. I'm surprised you can still sort of fit in one as a grown man, though at that point it'd probably be better just to get an electric go-kart.

Same, it puts a smile on my face wherever I see kids enjoying gadgets like that! Some of them didn't exist or were overly expensive back in the day... That said, Linus is very fit and slim. You can see him shirtless in a summer video on Channel Super Fun.

8 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

With speed... no.

With electrical fire... yes.

Hi Alex,

Electrical Engineer and battery expert here that watched the whole video with some cringe. I have got a few helpful tips for your next li-ion experiments:

• Chargers are not the same as Adapters
    • Chargers can handle overcurrent and go into constant current mode
    • Adapters are destroyed
  • Lithium battery should be called Li-ion battery
  • The cells were not "3500mA"-ones, they were 3500mAh ones.
  • 7S3P -> 3P7S because parallel first

You should get a lab-power supply like this one:

•    Manson HCS-3204 1-60V 0-10A

You should get a wire stripper like this one:

You could try creating your own massive powerbank or even spotweld 18650 cells for your next experiments. You could re-salvage cells from laptop batteries or even run a computer on 18650-cells. 

14 minutes ago, Ahaber said:

The thumbnail is showing up weird for some reason now @nicklmg

Hit Ctrl+F5 should fix it

3 hours ago, VinLAURiA said:

I'm surprised you can still sort of fit in one as a grown man

Nah not really, anyone under 5' 10" can fit in them as long as they are lean and not built up with heavy muscle mass or have large bone density. That said I think Linus is around 5' 8" which puts Alex around 6' 2" - 6' 4" which is why he needed to use his hands.

You can confirm he sits around 5' 8"-10" by counting stairs since each stair is about 7" apart :P You can also compare the F-150 to him too by using Jake as a reference to size since the F-150 sits around 75-77"

image.png.39e41506c639fb5e7d5bf1318ce4b5bf.png

3 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Nah not really, anyone under 5' 10" can fit in them as long as they are lean and not built up with heavy muscle mass or have large bone density. That said I think Linus is around 5' 8" which puts Alex around 6' 2" - 6' 4" which is why he needed to use his hands.

You can confirm he sits around 5' 8"-10" by counting stairs since each stair is about 7" apart :P You can also compare the F-150 to him too by using Jake as a reference to size since the F-150 sits around 75-77"

The thumbnail is still showing up wrong for me. Even on the LTT website.

:)xD9_9:D:PB|

3 hours ago, FunDeckHermit said:

...You should get a wire stripper like this one:

I have a couple similar to that one. They are life, wire, sanity, and hand savers.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

What could go wrong? <snort, gasp>

That has to be the funniest video I've seen in a while!

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

I use 18650 batteries all the time in my vape thing, (wait for jokes to die down...) and I've thrown one of those things in a fire with the intent to blow it up...and mother fucker, when those things go they GO. (we were outside in s field, upwind from the fire, we were fine, maybe not the smartest people. but fine)

12 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

Fair enough, I eat way too many sweets to not bog that thing down, then.

OWNED CONSOLES [ INTV | NES | SNES | GG | N64 | GBCPS1 | GCN | GBA/GBA SPDC | PS2 | Wii | DS Lite/DSi | Wii U | 3DS/XL/nXL | Switch ] PLANNED ( XSX | Amico ) TV: E420VL + CT-26WX15N

GAMING PC/WORKSTATION [ Aether Case: FD Focus G Mini | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3950X (16c32t @3.5GHz) | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3600MHz | Mobo: Aorus X570 mITX | PSU: SSR-600TL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: WD SN750 1TB NVMe | HDD: 4TB WD Black | KB/M: Dell Multimedia USB Hub Keyboard (SK-8135) + Logitech G903 HERO | Display: ASUS VE248H + Dell E177FP | Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB Wireless

HTPC/HOME SERVER [ Phazon Case: Antec 900 Two | CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black (4c4t @3.67GHz) | GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB | RAM: 12GB (2x4GB+2x2GB) DDR3 @1400MHz | Mobo: MSI 870A-G54 | PSU: SSR-450PL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: Crucial 240GB SATA | HDD: 8TB HGST Ultrastar + 750GB WD Caviar Green + 200 GB Seagate | KB/M: Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000

On 10/11/2018 at 4:56 PM, Egg-Roll said:

5' 10"

On 10/12/2018 at 5:04 AM, VinLAURiA said:

5' 8"

5' 8"-10"

7"

75-77"

What?!

Why use some Batteries when Accu are avaiable.

And when I look into the UK Ebay Account cant find any Products available:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/lion.products/m.html?_nkw=&amp;_armrs=1&amp;_ipg=&amp;_from=

From AT. :x

• 3 years later...

I've designed an easy lithium box which has 5-10 times more powerful metals (uses pure copper and not springs for electrical contacts) and uses steel bolts, insulator pieces and and mechanical springs to keep everything together... 

If you think this technology is cool, i need your help! Google would ask me 30,000 dollars for advertisement to get 1 million YT viewers. If Linus wants to help tell people about the technology, i'd give him a % of the startup company/foundation (I don't mind if it's a non-profit foundation, I will still have designed a new technology!).