Is 6/8 memory slots occupied bad?

I have an Asrock Taichi x399 MB with 6x16GB G.Skill Trident RGB RAM which would total to 96GB. Is it bad in any way to populate 6/8 slots on the motherboard with RAM? Will it affect the system badly? In the memory configuration recommendations for the MB the table only shows 2, 4 or 8 sticks. Will Quad Channel still be activated with 6 sticks of RAM?

I ask because usually I have only seen like 16, 32, 64 or 128GB but not 96. Is there a reason behind that?

Any help is much appreciated!

You will be knocked down to dual channel since you're leaving 2 open

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, btng said:

I have an Asrock Taichi x399 MB with 6x16GB G.Skill Trident RGB RAM which would total to 96GB. Is it bad in any way to populate 6/8 slots on the motherboard with RAM? Will it affect the system badly? In the memory configuration recommendations for the MB the table only shows 2, 4 or 8 sticks. Will Quad Channel still be activated with 6 sticks of RAM?

Any help is much appreciated!

Yes you will still get quad channel.  T His should not negatively effect your system as long as all the RAM is recognized in BIOS and the OS.

? So one says that I will be knocked down to dual channel and one says I will still have quad channel.

1 minute ago, btng said:

? So one says that I will be knocked down to dual channel and one says I will still have quad channel.

It probably varies based on motherboard actually. I only have my own personal experience with consumer boards and dual channel.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

7 minutes ago, btng said:

? So one says that I will be knocked down to quad channel and one says I will still have quad channel.

you can still use quad channel. I'm using 3x8 now and I can use dual channel I have no reason to suspect that on quad channel this would be different.

ask me about your system builds, AIO's, CPU's, PSU's, and GPU's.

Just now, ricksteendam1 said:

you can still use quad channel. I'm using 3x8 know and I can use dual channel I have no reason to suspect that on quad channel this would be different.

This.

I have an x399 and have had 1, 2, 4 and 6 sticks in it over the last year testing and tuning.  

1-single channel

2 dual

4 quad

6 also quad.

At least that's what showed up in CPUZ.

Managed to find this from the manual:

If only two memory modules are installed in the DDR4 DIMM slots, then Dual Channel Memory Techonology is activated. If three memory modules are installed, then Triple Channel Memory Technology is activated. If more than four memory modules are installed in the DDR4 DIMM slots, then Quad Channel Memory Technology is activated.

This means that 6 slots are ok?

If it is ok, then it does not matter in what slots I insert stick 5 & 6 in since it says nothing about that in the manual?

3 minutes ago, btng said:

more than four memory modules

This is what I saw on an x399 Designare.  Never tried 3 Dimms, but based on what you see in your manual I bet it would have said triple channel in CPUZ.