Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Horthal

Where do I get started?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Good day

So, I want to try coding to see what it's like and if I like it. However, I have no experience whatsoever (except writing a simple HTML code at a open day at a school, pardon me I don't know the translation), so I have no clue where to start. I've looked at the programming resources thread by the way but it didn't really help me. So I'm asking for some advice; For someone who wants to try coding, possibly as just a hobby, where should I start? 

• Which program should I use?: I know that different programs have different uses, Unity for games, Eclipse seems to be for Minecraft mods and Android apps, from what I know. And Python for AI (which I want to try to make as well, neural networks, since it seems really fascinating to me) I was thinking Microsoft Visual Studio but I don't know how good that is and how well it fits my current purposes
  • Which language should I use?: I've dibbled a bit in C# when messing with Unity, I've coded a bit in Notepad++ (I'm assuming that was C++) on that open day I mentioned and that's all I messed with. 
  • As for what I want to at least try: I definitely want to make simple apps just for myself. As example;
    • My own Icon Packs to customize my phone with
    • An app to get daily riddles (1 riddle a day)/alarm that you have to solve a riddle to make it shut up
    • A simple Artifical Neural Network. Perhaps let it learn colors and words, as in Red is Red etc

So far that's all I want to try, both to see how coding is and also because for number 2 I can't find any app like it so I want to make it myself, lol. Anyways, any advice is greatly appreciated :)

10 minutes ago, Horthal said:

A simple Artificial Neural Network

The programs already exist to do this, it's all in the data and how you present it to the RNN (Recurrent Neural Network. I work with these as an aside)

Beyond that, C++ is a good start, though I"d go even further back to learn the basic foundations of programming (good coding techniques) with Pascal, Fortran, make general purpose things, and understand how it works, before moving up from there.

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

codeacademy is a starter site. but it only teaches syntax and simple ideas, with lots of hand-holding

udemy sometimes has sales on their courses. not all of them are quality tho. udacity is similar, but with more free courses (some are taught by Google). the nanodegrees they offer are iffy

coursera has a Machine Learning and AI course by Andrew Ng https://www.coursera.org/learn/machine-learning heard very good things about it, not much math either 

edX has some pretty good college-equivalent courses. i think there's one taught with Python and serves as an intro to computer science. but as you can see some of these choices are MOOCs

Google has a Machine Learning crash course, tho there's a difficulty spike halfway through

for mobile apps, you can either go native - which means learning Java / Kotlin (android) or Swift (iOS). or pick a framework such as React Native (javascript) that emulate native behavior but can run on both OS. i believe udacity as an entire free intro course with android, and Apple has an intro series on iTunes as well as free books

for any beginner to get a good feel for it i would try to play around with python.
python is imo the best way for people to get in to and try python, because of its logistic and simple basics.

python is a bit complicated at first but very rewarding for beginners.

the basic to know is: if this then that and variables, just try some variables and echo's in a script like:

import time

print("hi what is your name")
time.sleep(1)
name = input()
print("hi, " + name + " nice to meet you")

as for an editor... i use atom alot of the time.

or go back to basic:

10 print "hello"

20 goto 10

run

and watch the magic

Current build: Ryzen 7 1700x, asus prime x370-pro, 16gb gskill trident z rgb, asus rog strix gtx 1070 ti, corsair rm650x, nzxt s340 elite, samsung 840 pro 256gb, 1.5tb hdd.

Disclaimer HTML is not a programming language, and take everything I say with some grain of salt I'm no expert in any shape or form !

--------------

For editors pick either Sublime or even better (as of now) Visual Studio Code both are free.

Everything depends on what you want to do with your knowledge. You said you want to do apps and icon packs. I guess starting with the good old HTML/CSS and from there Javascript will be best for you, as you will be able to further use framework to push them as apps for the phone, so you won't have to learn Java. 

Good reads can be found below (watch them in this order if you're total beginner or you can try doing some html/css codecademy course to see if you would even like coding" you can find it here. )

~
The Fundamentals in video format:
Teaches you Computer science fundamentals from a great teacher

Teaches you valuable stuff that you would wish you had know before starting - no joke

You did a bit of C# so I guess you can use that too (not needed)

~

Now the boring part (reading):
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript

https://www.reddit.com/r/learnprogramming/comments/61oly8/new_read_me_first/

https://www.reddit.com/r/learnprogramming/wiki/online

https://www.thinkful.com/blog/why-learning-to-code-is-so-damn-hard/

https://www.reddit.com/r/webdev/wiki/faq

~~~

YouTube channels like The coding train are great place to start too. Reply if you want something more specific or you have some questions!

With time and practice you will understand that most of the time you will find yourself reading about the problem and you will systematically find new resource to read and my links would be no longer enough/right for you. So don't worry if you bring yourself to a wall and you don't know how to overcome it, just start with the basics again and you will find yourself on the right track right away.
Cheers!

---

Edit I would try adding more stuff whenever I remember to

You can upload your website online for free via Github Pages (It's not complicated)

-
You can build .APK/.Exe/iOS apps without even having to do anything via adobe phonegap. (again not complicated) - there is better frameworks but for a beginner this is a great start as you won't really seek performance or you won't really actually know how to optimize your app.

-

Google is your friend, but don't wait for someone to answer you in stackoverflow try understanding on your own.
-
Ask programmers for some additional help if you need (you would be surprised how a single word that you don't know what means and search it on google can boost your knowledge).
-

Motherboard: MSI BM250-PRO-VD           <-- Build 1    Build 2 -->        Motherboard: ASRock Z370M Pro4                     
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700                                                   CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K
GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080                                          GPU: Gigabyte Windforce OC GTX660 (Saving money for GTX 2080)
RAM: 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz                                                     RAM: HyperX Predator 8gb DDR4 3000mhz (Saving money for another 8GB)
PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620w Bronze+                                      PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold Plus 650W
CPU Cooler: Gammax 400                                                    CPU Cooler: Gammax 400
SSD: Kingston A400 250GB                                                  HDD: 3 * 1TB WD blue
Headphones: ASUS STRIX 2.0                                                                                               Case: Thermaltake V200 RGB
Monitor: LG 24GM77                                                                                                               Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 110
CaseFans: 3 140mm                                                                                                                Phone: Samsung Galaxy S8+
HDD: 1TB 7200RPM
Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 500
Phone: Nokia 7 plus

hehe yeaaah boy
https://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/monthly_2018_09/111.PNG.5713b4f39cae3a5badac216b30d99e65.PNG

You want to code but don't know how ? (Personal list)

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

19 hours ago, Martijn Klerks said:

python is imo the best way for people to get in to and try python

Yes, Python is the best way for people to try Python. That does not mean that anyone should do that.

If you are a beginner, all languages are equally hard for you. For "Artifical Neural Networks", Lisp (usually, Common Lisp) has been proven rock-solid and easy enough, but C would also work. 😉

Python is designed to be a learning language, similar to BASIC - reminding me of a bike with support wheels: It can get you to where you want to be, but you'd probably prefer a real car if you'd know how to use it. Don't waste time with that.

Write in C.

21 hours ago, Horthal said:

Which program should I use?: I know that different programs have different uses, Unity for games, Eclipse seems to be for Minecraft mods and Android apps, from what I know. And Python for AI (which I want to try to make as well, neural networks, since it seems really fascinating to me) I was thinking Microsoft Visual Studio but I don't know how good that is and how well it fits my current purposes

This entirely depends on what language you use and what your target platform is.

EDIT: I take that back, somewhat. You should find an advanced text editor. Preferably something that has cross OS support.

• Which language should I use?: I've dibbled a bit in C# when messing with Unity, I've coded a bit in Notepad++ (I'm assuming that was C++) on that open day I mentioned and that's all I messed with. 

That again depends on what you want to do. If you're looking for something that the industry is consistently looking for, it's been C/C++, Python, Java, JavaScript, or PHP. I suppose SQL counts too since data is a big thing.

However, if you learn one language and understand its basics, transitioning to another isn't too hard.

I'm studying Python on Udemy, I'm learning from a series of courses by Jose Portilla, he's the number 1 instructor on Udemy and you can see why. He's clear in his explanations, offers a lot of supplementary material and tests and is active on the Q&A threads. I don't think he teaches C# but from my experience on Udemy, I would definitely recommend it. Codeacademy is a good option too! Just jump in and fun and just remember the more you code the better you'll become!

On 10/10/2018 at 11:49 AM, Dat Guy said:

Yes, Python is the best way for people to try Python. That does not mean that anyone should do that.

If you are a beginner, all languages are equally hard for you. For "Artifical Neural Networks", Lisp (usually, Common Lisp) has been proven rock-solid and easy enough, but C would also work. 😉

Python is designed to be a learning language, similar to BASIC - reminding me of a bike with support wheels: It can get you to where you want to be, but you'd probably prefer a real car if you'd know how to use it. Don't waste time with that.

I also find that Python's error messages can be a bit cryptic at times.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Samson SR 850 | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

On windows most people install visual studio community (free version) and you can program C#, C++ and Visual Basic which are all great languages (the only bad languages are the ones intentionally made to be annoying to code in.) 

i use notepad++ for web development. You don’t compile certain web code. HTML and css make things look pretty and show text to the screen. Web browsers interpret that code in real time. 

Jacascript and php are functional languages you don’t have to compile however you might need a web server. I never used JavaScript but in order to use php, you need to have a server setup appropriately. I use wamp cuz it’s the first one I saw and it works. 

Python in my opinion is a bit tricky. Same story with java. 

Unity is really great as it has a lot of guides, tutorials, code & assets. It’s one of my favorite engines. 

LTT Fan Fiction:

PC game list: 

On 10/9/2018 at 10:14 AM, Horthal said:

Good day

So, I want to try coding to see what it's like and if I like it. However, I have no experience whatsoever (except writing a simple HTML code at a open day at a school, pardon me I don't know the translation), so I have no clue where to start. I've looked at the programming resources thread by the way but it didn't really help me. So I'm asking for some advice; For someone who wants to try coding, possibly as just a hobby, where should I start? 

• Which program should I use?: I know that different programs have different uses, Unity for games, Eclipse seems to be for Minecraft mods and Android apps, from what I know. And Python for AI (which I want to try to make as well, neural networks, since it seems really fascinating to me) I was thinking Microsoft Visual Studio but I don't know how good that is and how well it fits my current purposes
  • As for what I want to at least try: I definitely want to make simple apps just for myself. As example;
    • My own Icon Packs to customize my phone with
    • An app to get daily riddles (1 riddle a day)/alarm that you have to solve a riddle to make it shut up
    • A simple Artifical Neural Network. Perhaps let it learn colors and words, as in Red is Red etc

So far that's all I want to try, both to see how coding is and also because for number 2 I can't find any app like it so I want to make it myself, lol. Anyways, any advice is greatly appreciated :)

Hello Horthal,

(Ik hoop dat alles goed is!)

The hardest part in exposing yourself to coding and learning is figuring out what you want to do.

I took the approach of wanting to learn how to manipulate the operating systems I was using. Windows was and still is such a big black box that I switched over to Linux (started with Ubuntu and then turned to Arch).

Linux is natively built on C. So I learned C first and got good. Then I realized I wanted to write little scripts here and there (most of them one time use) and not full-blown compiled code that becomes part of the system (poor bin folder). I learned Python and fell in love with it. Then learned Ruby and forgot all about Python. Ruby is like a swiss-army knife that can be dangerous since you can make your code do things most languages won't let you.

The point that I am trying to make is that you start somewhere and you learn. That exposure and learning lead to other languages (I've never met a coder/programmer that only knows one language exclusively).  My best advice is to take it one step at a time, see if you like it, and if you do, continue to grow your skillset. You'll be surprised how quickly you pick up another language after you already learned one.

I learned C++ for example about five years ago. It was easy for me since I already had a solid C background. I recently learned C#, and that was super easy because I already understood the fundamentals of object-oriented programming because of C++. In school, for the last two semesters, I was forced to learn Java, and it was a joke. The languages are not the same, but the structure and programming flow tend to be.

I would start with the basics and build your way up to things that you listed you want to do. Jumping in to make a skyscraper before knowing how a house is built is a little counterintuitive.

I wish you the best on your journey!

Alles van die beste!

I know I am a month late but whatever

You got some programs/languages things mixed up there in your post lol.
Eclipse if a program for writing code in (like notepad++ but waaay more advanced).
Python is a language and can do almost literally fucking anything (including AI)

Anyway to get started with programming I super recommend the python language. It's easy to understand and has a great community and source of tutorials guides. And Python will stay with you forever, because you can do very advanced things in it. You could try www.codecademy.com to start an interactive course on the Python basics. I will NOT recommend you get into app development directly, just don't even try. You can keep writing in notepad++ but maybe you should give an editor like Atom a try. I recommend following the basics of that codecademy course and if it starts to bore you go play around with python yourself for a bit, maybe start a little project. But get back to the course cause finishing the whole will pay off. A fun project idea might be your very own discord bot, with the help of this very beginner friendly library (you can find a lot of tutorials on how to use it online).

You could also try to make your very own website with HTML and CSS, codecademy also has a great course on that.

If you need help with anything, I have a couple of contact details on my profile (including Discord).

Ik wens je veel succes!

On 11/8/2018 at 1:29 AM, LevitatingBusinessMan said:

Eclipse if a program for writing code in (like notepad++ but waaay more advanced).
Python is a language and can do almost literally fucking anything (including AI)

So would I be able to do python stuff in eclipse? 

I have no idea what to do with python, but im trying to learn it to broaden my horizons a bit, and maybe have a bit of fun along the way in learning the program 

I make intelligent lights do cool things

7 hours ago, YaBoiWill said:

So would I be able to do python stuff in eclipse

I have no idea what to do with python, but im trying to learn it to broaden my horizons a bit, and maybe have a bit of fun along the way in learning the program 

I'm not familiar with Eclipse, it appears you can download a plug-in, PyDev. Again I'm not familiar with it but it appears if you download that plug-in it allows you to program Python within the Eclipse Application

image.png.ec07400b56aa3299c4aa82bdbc734302.png

1 hour ago, ZacoAttaco said:

I'm not familiar with Eclipse, it appears you can download a plug-in, PyDev. Again I'm not familiar with it but it appears if you download that plug-in it allows you to program Python within the Eclipse Application

image.png.ec07400b56aa3299c4aa82bdbc734302.png

I use PyDev in Eclipse and it works quite well.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Samson SR 850 | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Pycharm for pythob, clion for c++, intellij for Java, atom text editor for HTML and CSS. Best OS, Linux especially if you are developing pythons. Pythons on Windows is shit. I mean you gotta add pip to path and all those nonsense on Windows, something which I don't usually do even on linux. If your software target specific platform though, it is best to code in that platform e.g. windows for Windows application, Macs for Mac applications. 

Oh, don't use eclipse. That thing is shit. Don't use netbeans. That thing is also shit, especially on Windows. Linux netbeats is much better and bug free but still shit compare to intellij for either Linux or Windows. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 11/11/2018 at 3:41 PM, YaBoiWill said:

So would I be able to do python stuff in eclipse? 

yes, but like I said it's advanced and wasn't made for Python. You should try Atom (what I had also mentioned). It's very beginner-friendly, if you are looking for something more advanced I can recommend you vscode. There are a lot more out there but these are the most popular and the ones I've tried. 

On 10/13/2018 at 12:43 PM, Fetzie said:

That's true for lots of languages.

On 11/14/2018 at 9:07 PM, LevitatingBusinessMan said:

yes, but like I said it's advanced and wasn't made for Python. You should try Atom (what I had also mentioned). It's very beginner-friendly, if you are looking for something more advanced I can recommend you vscode. There are a lot more out there but these are the most popular and the ones I've tried. 

Vscode is far better than atom, the extensions it has are superb and very quick to find and install.

Use it at work for development in nodeis.

5 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

Vscode is far better than atom, the extensions it has are superb and very quick to find and install.

Use it at work for development in nodeis.

All of them are shit. It is just a matter of which one is less shitty. I know people who write codes in nano or vim. Yikes...  

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 hour ago, wasab said:

All of them are shit. It is just a matter of which one is less shitty. I know people who write codes in nano or vim. Yikes...  

I've done that but only as a quick fix inside a docker container :P

Vscode is actually very nice.

On 11/16/2018 at 2:19 PM, vorticalbox said:

Vscode is far better than atom

I personally do agree, but for beginners who aren't even sure if programming is their thing I highly recommend atom over vscode. Vscode can seem complicated and overwhelming at times but with atom a user can find like they have complete control over it in no time.

On 10/13/2018 at 1:43 PM, Fetzie said:

Understanding how the stack works in a programming language will help you understand why errors look the way they do.