How do I Completely disable Windows 10 updater?

Euphoria
Go to solution Solved by voiha,

This,

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop-updates-installing-automatically-windows-10

and in services (open the search bar and type services) stop the Windows Update service

Hey everyone, so I need a bit of help with completely disabling Windows 10 updates so that the updater doesn't even look for updates, it doesn't run, it doesn't do anything unless click check for updates?

When I upgr downgraded to Windows 10 on my main 2 systems I used a guide (I couldn't find it again) to do a registry edit that 100% disabled the updater, that seemed to work great and I had no issues with W10 for the first year, I was pleasantly surprised that I liked it and wondered what people were talking about with it being so broken. Then came a major update, the 1803 update, so for the first time in over a year I clicked check for updates, look them over to see what they were for and installed them... which is where all my problems started. Since that update everything went downhill - all my little changes and tweaks got wiped/reset, Windows would just update itself, all the data-mining crap was enabled again, BSODs started happening, crashes, sluggish performance, random massive performance hitches, apps/games not running... etc - I should have known better this is Microsoft after all, and yes I did try rolling back but it true Microsoft style the backup point was MIA, gone, nowhere to be seen.

Fast forward to now and here comes the next big update and here we go again, Microsoft is at it again now with deleting everyone important data, *slow clap. This has sealed it for me, in a few weeks when my new hardware and parts arrive for my man cave renovation I will be wiping and doing a fresh OS install of the previous version to 1803 and I will Not be updating either system unless I see a massive unanimous "This update is completely fine and safe" from the enthusiast community.

So for now, and for when I reinstall I would like some help with the best way to 100% completely and utterly disable Windows 10 updater, please??

Build: "The Cake Is A Lie" - (Portal 2 Theme)  Wall Mounted (in a ThermalTake Core P8 all sides removed)  Ryzen 5900X • 64GB Team Group Dark Pro (B-Dies) 3600MHz CL16 • ASUS X570-E Gaming • EK Quantum Plexi Monoblock  MSI RTX 3090 Suprim X  EK Quantum Plexi Block  2TB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 NVME  8TB Samsung 870 QVO  Corsair RM 850X 2x EK P480M Radiators   PrimoChill Fittings  2x D5 Pumps  Monsoon MMRS Pump Housing  2x HeatKiller Tube 200 Reservoirs  

13 minutes ago, Euphoria said:

Hey everyone, so I need a bit of help with completely disabling Windows 10 updates so that the updater doesn't even look for updates, it doesn't run, it doesn't do anything unless click check for updates?

You have two options, both can be done through services.msc

1. Disable Windows Update completely - set startup type to disabled and stop the service

2. Set Windows Update to startup type manual, and stop it if necessary.

If you want full control you'll want option 1, as in some cases in scenario 2 some program will trigger a check for updates thus starting the service again. You need to set the service back to manual to be able to look for updates.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

@NelizMastr: Sorry to say that, but disable Windows Update or BITS service has no sense, since Windows re-enable them when he wants. :) It's old method for win7 or win8.1 that no longer works in win10. That's why using win10 is constant fight against it.  But it's fight you can win. :)

If you want to disable it completely, then you must not only disable Windows Update and Background Intellingent Transfer Service, but also (for be sure) Windows Defender Firewall (Windows update don't work without that, but some other functions like Microsoft Store too). Then, if you want to stop Windows from re-enabling updates, you must prepare bat that stops services and create action in Task Scheduler that stops BITS service few seconds after it starts.

And that's all. :)

If you need detailed info - let me know.

you install a Linux distro ;)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

@NelizMastr: Sorry to say that, but disable Windows Update or BITS service has no sense, since Windows re-enable them when he wants. :) It's old method for win7 or win8.1 that no longer works in win10. That's why using win10 is constant fight against it.  But it's fight you can win. :)

I ran W10 LTSB 2016 for a long time and it worked fine that way, though. My hardware dislikes any 170x and 1803 so I can't say I've tested the current annoying force feeding of updates haha :P 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

3 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

I ran W10 LTSB 2016 for a long time and it worked fine that way, though. My hardware dislikes any 170x and 1803 so I can't say I've tested the current annoying force feeding of updates haha :P 

LTSB may works different, but re-enabling Windows Update and BITS services in standard Windows editions is a fact. It only gives you false sense that you have control over your operating system and allows you to disable what you want. For a while.

2 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

LTSB may works different, but re-enabling Windows Update and BITS services is a fact. It only gives you false sense that you have control over your operating system and allows you to disable it. For a while. :)

RIP. In other words, either consequently update, or get the fuck off Windows, lol.

my laptop is old so i installed the LTSB version, works like a charm. If you like a particular W10 update you can get a W10 LTSB version for 2015, 2016, 2017. 

Sorry for the delayed reply, stupid life and responsibilities getting in the way of nerdy stuff.

I appreciate the responses and big thank you to voiha, I'll give that a try as soon as I can. I think that might be the same way I did it before which seemed to work fine until I installed 1 frickin' update.

Build: "The Cake Is A Lie" - (Portal 2 Theme)  Wall Mounted (in a ThermalTake Core P8 all sides removed)  Ryzen 5900X • 64GB Team Group Dark Pro (B-Dies) 3600MHz CL16 • ASUS X570-E Gaming • EK Quantum Plexi Monoblock  MSI RTX 3090 Suprim X  EK Quantum Plexi Block  2TB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 NVME  8TB Samsung 870 QVO  Corsair RM 850X 2x EK P480M Radiators   PrimoChill Fittings  2x D5 Pumps  Monsoon MMRS Pump Housing  2x HeatKiller Tube 200 Reservoirs