Is virtual surround any better than Stereo?

Kooixh
Go to solution Solved by Aphexx,

as it stands and after having used SRS dolby headphone dolby prologicII EAX ReYzOr surround DTS and all the other 3 letter abbreviations. I like none of them. I use none of them

to me all they do is make sounds hollow and echoey and do nothing to add depth and immersion in sound. 

I would much rather take the in game binaural sounds and hear that reproduced through my open backed headphones to get that full immersion into the game's soundscape. 

to me virtual 7.1, virtual 5.1 is just a marketing gimmick its just reverb and echos never have I enabled virtual surround and thought that I could locate sounds better than the native binaural recordings. 

that said

I am looking forward to Headphone X from dts which might be launching this year the IOS and android app that came out demoing it was alright perhaps its just my need to see the latest and greatest or perhaps its the love of bigger numbers (virtual 11.1  four entire numbers greater than 7.1) but I am optimistic on this new thing. 

maybe its this new virtualizer plus AMD's new graphics cards populating the soundscape with substantive objects that I need or perhaps I'll just add it to the list of failed virtualizers that don't impress me much. 

I'm looking for a new headphones.I wonder is Virtual 5.1/7.1 any different than stereo for gaming?

I find virtual sound on headphones to be very uncomfortable and other sounds are sort of washed out. when I play bf4 I only use stereo on headphones, but on my speakers 5.1 is nice

Yes, it gives you a sense of direction for things like FPS shooters and some movies

I wanted a Steelseries Siberia v2. should I get the normal version + Razer surround or get the USB version?

No.

Why dont you try it out by yourself and see?

But stereo headphones are a lot better than 5.1 or whatever

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

I wanted a Steelseries Siberia v2. should I get the normal version + Razer surround or get the USB version?

Everyone on this forum will tell you to get the non usb version so you can upgrade your sound card or add a dac and not be stuck with the onboard sound of the headset

• Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
  • I7 3770K @ Stock
  • Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
  • AMD Radeon R9 290
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212+
  • 16gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 
  • 2x 1tb WD Green Drives (RAID 1)
  • 256gb Samsung 840
  • Peripherals
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Core
  • Ducky Shine 3 - Blue LED, Brown Switches
  • Samsung SyncMaster 2443
  • Custom Mousepad http://imgur.com/xJWASQM
  • Logitech G35
  • Altec Lansing Octane 7

Everyone on this forum will tell you to get the non usb version so you can upgrade your sound card or add a dac and not be stuck with the onboard sound of the headset

I uses the on-board audio.So will I get better sound if I get a better soundcard than the USB soundcard?

I uses the on-board audio.So will I get better sound if I get a better soundcard than the USB soundcard?

Really depends on the board but at least if you are not pleased you have the option to change rather than being stuck.

I would say the onboard is most likely better anyway

• Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
  • I7 3770K @ Stock
  • Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
  • AMD Radeon R9 290
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212+
  • 16gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 
  • 2x 1tb WD Green Drives (RAID 1)
  • 256gb Samsung 840
  • Peripherals
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Core
  • Ducky Shine 3 - Blue LED, Brown Switches
  • Samsung SyncMaster 2443
  • Custom Mousepad http://imgur.com/xJWASQM
  • Logitech G35
  • Altec Lansing Octane 7

Surround Sound has always been better that stereo as it's accurate to some extent. Helps a lot in games similar to counterstrike where sound is a very important thing.

And even in movies, you will experience a totally different thing.

• CPU i5 3570k - 4.0 Ghz | Motherboard Intel DZ77SL50K | RAM Corsair Vengeance 4GB 1600 BUS DDR3 4GBx1 | GPU 2x Sparkle GTX 570 OC editionCase CM 370 EliteStorage Seagate 1TB 3.5" SATA HARD DRIVE 64MB CACHEPSU Cooler Master GX series 550W (80+ bronze)Display(s) Samsung 46' series 5 TV(1080p), Dell 20' (1280x1024)Cooling 3x Corsair SP120 QUIET EDITION HIGH STATIC PRESSURE 120MM FAN TWIN PACKKeyboard DELL original default keyboardMouse A4 Tech x2 800dpi | Sound On board~!

Razer surround does virtual surround for any headphone and it works as good as dedicated surround headsets, just needs tweaking. Get a headphone with a good sound stage and when you game Activate it, I could be wrong but I think this is the best option if you are looking for surround sound.

:/

No.

Why dont you try it out by yourself and see?

But stereo headphones are a lot better than 5.1 or whatever

I like how they ignored you.

To make you feel better I thought that I would let you know that I feel the same way.

No, it makes everything sound like you are in a tin can.

Plus most games have it built in, so it's a waste of money.

Sponsored by Twitch and DxRacer.

It's perfectly fine to enjoy virtual surround effects, but please do it on a good headphone instead of a typical shoddy gaming headset.

I say get the USB version, it's just 10$ extra.

Virtual surround can be done with Razer Surround, a free software. but I'd recommend just using regular stereo, using the headphone setting in the audio in games, and in the audio settings in Windows. I don't think it's worth it, getting more expensive stuff just because they say "surround sound" when it can be done for free with software. oh and also, most likely, the USB version will sound worse, as the onboard on most newer motherboards is usually pretty good. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

I use it with my Steelseries Siberia Elite's for games, but nothing else really. 

Case: Fractal Design R4  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Plus  Processor: Intel i7 4770K  GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X  RAM: Corsair Vengenace Pro 16GB  PSU: Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 750W  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB   Monitor(s): LG 24GM77  Keyboard: Logitech G410  Mouse: Zowie EC1-A  Mousepad: Puretrak Talent White Ed.  Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II

Some people like it, some people don't.  It's not a bad thing to have on your setup but I wouldn't spend a bunch of extra money specifically for it.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

as it stands and after having used SRS dolby headphone dolby prologicII EAX ReYzOr surround DTS and all the other 3 letter abbreviations. I like none of them. I use none of them

to me all they do is make sounds hollow and echoey and do nothing to add depth and immersion in sound. 

I would much rather take the in game binaural sounds and hear that reproduced through my open backed headphones to get that full immersion into the game's soundscape. 

to me virtual 7.1, virtual 5.1 is just a marketing gimmick its just reverb and echos never have I enabled virtual surround and thought that I could locate sounds better than the native binaural recordings. 

that said

I am looking forward to Headphone X from dts which might be launching this year the IOS and android app that came out demoing it was alright perhaps its just my need to see the latest and greatest or perhaps its the love of bigger numbers (virtual 11.1  four entire numbers greater than 7.1) but I am optimistic on this new thing. 

maybe its this new virtualizer plus AMD's new graphics cards populating the soundscape with substantive objects that I need or perhaps I'll just add it to the list of failed virtualizers that don't impress me much. 

I say get the USB version, it's just 10$ extra.

haha but in my country it's 100$ more.

Well it's a personal preference, you would have to personally try them out.

haha but in my country it's 100$ more.

Where do you live?