BenQ EX3501R 35 100hz via usb-c?

Gnasher

Hi

I've just purchased a BenQ EX3501R 35-inch monitor for work, and gaming. 

I don't have a DisplayPort cable handy so I hooked it up to my gaming rig via HDMI and Windows allows me to select 100hz at 3440x1440. I thought I would need a DisplayPort cable for this but it seems I don't.

I have a 2017 15" touch bar MacBook I use for my work so I'm trying to get this working at 100hz also.

The BenQ has a USB-C port (one of the reasons I got it over others) so I hooked it up to the MacBook with USB-C to USB-C and was expecting to get the full 100hz at 3440x1440.

OSX only lets me select 3440x1440 60hz, no option for 100hz. I had thought USB-C was essentially DisplayPort underneath and this should work?

Does anyone know why? Is USB-C to USB-C not capable of 100hz at this resolution?

I can buy a USB-C to HDMI cable which is rated for 4k at 60hz but I'm still not sure if this would do the job?

Thanks

On 10/7/2018 at 2:42 PM, Gnasher said:

Hi

I've just purchased a BenQ EX3501R 35-inch monitor for work, and gaming. 

Hi, 
I think that via usb type c you can only output 60 Hz and in order to output 100 Hz you will probably need a type c to display port adapter for your macbook.
P.s. I am thinking to buy the exact monitor. Are you satisfied from your purchase? 

• 2 years later...

The default configuration for the USB port is WQHD@60 + USB 3.1, but you can set it to WQHD@100 + USB 2.0 in the monitor OSD settings. After that you can set the frequency to 100Hz using the included cable.