Why do people hate Windows Vista so much?

Charlie

I have no long personal experience with vista but my father's and brother's old laptop are both pre-installed with Vista.

For Me personally it feels heavy, slow and not ready also I prefer Windows XP before Windows 7 released.

Only my brother's laptop had problem once but other than that no big problem.

My father laptop got tons of virus the other day and asked me to change it to XP because its faster...

and I prefer Windows XP before Windows 7 Installed

MB :MSI Z77a G45 | Proc: I5 3570K (Stock) | HSF : CM 212X turbo | RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2X4GB) | VGA : MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr | PSU : Corsair GS600 | Case : CM Storm Enforcer | Storage :  OCZ Vector 128GB, WD Blue 500GB , Samsung 840 Evo 120GB, WD Blue 1TB

To be honest I love the way that Windows Vista looks. At least as far as looking at the desktop goes that is. I love the XP taskbar a great deal more than the Windows 7 one, but I admit the Windows 7 one does look better. Vista combines the two to create an wesome looking black taskbar with the blue orb and it looks amazing. But that's also part of the problem. More time with Vista's development was spent making it look good instead of ensuring functionality. The actual code was much larger than XP because of all the new things added in, making the system requirements much much higher. WIndows 7 is almost a more streamlined version of Vista, as it functions very similar, but it has lower requirements and runs much faster. Vista is more stable now with the service packs (I have had to use it quite a bit) and it really isn't a bad OS but it's still uses the most resources of any windows operating system available so it sort of got skirted to the side. It really isn't that bad but if you are going to pay for an OS it's not the best choice. It's just the OS that people love to hate.

I hate Vista because it's a crappy OS with lack of performance.

It just has a bad sigma attached to it's name, from when it first came out and it was absolutely abysmal. Now it's been patched and it runs fine.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

I've been using vista since 2008 and i've honestly had no OS related problems....ever.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

When I used it a few times it seems a little slow. Plus I think most of the issues was that most of the computers Ive came across were too under powered for vista. Vista needed a decent computer to run good. If you had the hardware it wasnt bad.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I haven't read all of the thread, and I don't plan on it. I will tell you my take however. I LOVE Windows Vista. I still dual boot into Vista from time to time. First I will tell you that I got Vista the day it was released, I can also tell you I never had any problems with it that weren't created by my own fault.

Now let me tell you why it was hated on so much. It came with poor initial driver support for generic drivers. This caused uninformed users many hardware problems. It wasn't the "noobie friendly" OS that everyone wanted. It was too much of a change from the norm at the time. I hate to say it but I feel people that didn't like Vista, just weren't savvy enough to use it.

The same reason why people hate Windows 8 - people are stupid. No offense' date=' but Windows 8 is great and Windows Vista when patched up and updated is good. Its just the fact that people start ripping on stuff they havnt even touched or they start ripping on it because 'they heard people say it somewhere else and now theyre gonna say it aswell' Anyways, yeah :D[/quote']

I personally never had any issues with it and actually liked it quite a bit. Only reason I upgraded to 7 was because it was lighter on resources and overall generally faster.

Both of you +1

People don't realize that Vista required more powerful hardware than what was recommended. On a modern system, Windows Vista will run fine. The other problem is that User Account Control was not configurable and gave users a consent prompt before they could do almost anything. Windows 7 was basically a repackage of Vista with improvements in Windows Aero and UAC.

i don't hate it but i still did an upgrade. However i don't like windows 8 it just doesn't appeal to me.

People have a hate on for Vista because when it first came out, a lot of computers suffered in performance because of their less than adequate hardware. That's the main thing, I think. In order to run Vista, people needed to update their hardware. The OS was expensive already, let alone an additional video card, hard disk drive, etc. So you have an idea of what they were upgrading from, these people were running computers from the XP day, most of which can't run Win7 either. Think single core processors, 1 gig of DDR ram etc. I honestly can't remember what the final install size was, but back in the days where most people had 180gb hard drives, Vista looked every bit the fat cow that it was.

Combine that with all the features that would irritate the non computer literate: the UAC was new and unheard of, updates took hours to install (and the computer isn't usable while it's doing it), little cosmetic bugs here and there (icons changing sizes, etc), and hell, the buying process was convoluted because of all the different versions that were out. Once word got out, Vista never stood a chance.

The things that made it a great operating system, stability, optimized multi-threading support, security... these are things the average user never sees, therefore to them it's not so important.

I got a free copy of Vista Business from my University. I love it. I still use it on my main rig. Service Pack 2 was already out when I started using it though, which is probably the reason I think it's so great.

• 8 months later...

I never used it on a personal machine, went strait from xp to windows 7. Though the few times I did use it, wasn't all that bad.

AMD FX-8320 @ 4.3 ghz | Corsair H60 (Push/Pull)|  8GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 1.6 ghz | Sapphire HD 7870 Oc'd | Biostar TA970 MOBO OCZ 750w  PSU | 2TB HDD + 120gb Kingston V300 SSD| Coolermaster CM Storm Enforcer Case | SoundBlaster Audigy SE  Windows 7                                                                                      "I am a leaf on the wind, watch me..."   "You know nothing Jon Snauhh" "Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."

/Steam Profile/Folding@home stats/TekSyndicate Fourms/  \m/  RIP David Gold (1980-2011) \m/ RIP Peter Steele (1962-2010) \m/ RIP Chuck Schuldiner (1967-2001) \m/ RIP Dio (1942-2010) \m/ RIP Cliff Burton (1962-1986) \m/ RIP Dime (1966-2004)

i was quite young/didn;t know as much about computers when my dad put vista desktop (P4 HT, 2gb ram) a few weeks after it came out. I never really had any problems and I don't even remember how it was different than windows 7 (i feel like I only had vista for a short while). However, my friends tell me how their vista computers were slow and took long times to boot up so i really think the issue was insufficient hardware on pre-built machines. Those friends then switched to mac because they ran smoother.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Even though it would work ok today with all the patches and updates, Vista has a bad reputatuion that will stick with it for the rest of forever.  I had a laptop with Vista on it, if I hadn't given that laptop to someone else to use I would have put 7 on it the day the beta was available.  As it turns out, the computer I am using right now has had Windows 7 on it since 7 was in beta.

PS. That Vista laptop now runs 7.  It's better than new now. Thanks to me.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads