Why do people hate Windows Vista so much?

Charlie

Well guys, I have been a Windows Vista Business user since I got my first laptop back in 2007 or 2008 and since then I have been using Vista in almost all of my machines (yeah I upgraded the old XP machines to Vista Business too) until 2 years ago when I got my Acer laptop with Windows 7 Professional on it. What I am trying to say is that Vista isn't so bad, after Installing Service Pack 1 it was quite stable and Service Pack 2 made it super stable, and people still see me using the old HP 6710b notebook and say "oooh i'm sorry you use Vista" or they go like "Vista sucks.." so guys tell me what was so bad about Vista? YES I still use Vista now, since 2 months that old laptop runs almost 24 hours 7 days a week as a Left 4 dead 2 dedicated server and yeah Vista does not give me any problem.

What are your thoughts about Windows Vista? Did you guys ever use it after installing Service pack 2? and what all problems did you face with Windows Vista?

To me vista felt like it was just a beta of windows 7 but I think don't think I ever got round to using it much with the service packs since I used another PC most of the time with xp on it. So yeah I mainly didn't like it because it felt unfinished.

I'm still running Vista on my laptop from 2008. It was a little shaky at first, with 2 or 3 blue screens of death, but I haven't had a problem for at least 3 years now, and I prefer the layout to the Windows 7 layout.

I think that people hate on Vista as it was a poor product when launched, and got a poor reputation. Microsoft fixed the issues, but most people had already written off Vista, and then jumped to Windows 7, never looking back and still thinking that Windows Vista was a horrible OS.

Just my £0.02

The reason that most people hated windows vista from what I heard is that it was a resource hog. Causing the computer to slow down to much so people just wrote it off either going back to xp or holding out until 7 was released.

I prefer the layout to the Windows 7 layout. I think that people hate on Vista as it was a poor product when launched' date=' and got a poor reputation. Microsoft fixed the issues, but most people had already written off Vista, and then jumped to Windows 7, never looking back and still thinking that Windows Vista was a horrible OS.[/quote']

100% agreed with the part that Windows 7 Aero layout is a lot better and yeah before Service Pack 1 it was quite unstable.. The only time I had trouble was when I encountered a BSOD once while it was shutting down, which lead me to running recovery and re-installing the whole OS :( but yeah After Service Pack 1 it was hell lot better.

Windows 7 on the other hand was rock solid even at launch :)

The main reason would probably be because at the time XP ran on so little resources, many believed their old computers would still be able to run a new OS. As you could imagine, the lack of resources such as RAM, and significantly old CPUs added to peoples hatred towards Vista. Reasonably speaking Vista was a great OS, it was mainly the hardware's fault.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Had Vista Business preinstalled on my laptop when i got in Feb 2009 and it would just randomly BSOD and it was really "smooth".

The main reason would probably be because at the time XP ran on so little resources' date=' many believed their old computers would still be able to run a new OS. As you could imagine, the lack of resources such as RAM, and significantly old CPUs added to peoples hatred towards Vista. Reasonably speaking Vista was a great OS, it was mainly the hardware's fault.[/quote']

If there was a return of the resources it used then I would agree, however Vista used a lot of RAM and CPU time to just sit on the desktop just to look 'pretty' and nothing else.

So why would you use an OS which uses more resources than needed and makes your computer run hotter and harder while doing nothing? You wouldn't.

The main reason would probably be because at the time XP ran on so little resources' date=' many believed their old computers would still be able to run a new OS. As you could imagine, the lack of resources such as RAM, and significantly old CPUs added to peoples hatred towards Vista. Reasonably speaking Vista was a great OS, it was mainly the hardware's fault.[/quote']

yeah, like it barely ran on 1 GB of RAM while XP was running fine on 512 MB of RAM, and a lot of people were unaware of this and while Vista did run with 1 GB of RAM it did become super sluggish after launching 1 or 2 applications :( what I have noticed that a lot of home users would not upgrade the RAM, so whatever the OEM provided them they were happy with it and instead blame the OS.

The first thing I did with when I got my Vista laptop was upgrade the RAM from 2 GB to 4GB and then there was the "Aero" capable Graphics requirements.

it was just too slow for the hardware available that time.

Like others above, I think it may be because the majority of voices used it on inappropriate hardware.

Didn't have any issues when I was using Vista. Only thing I notice is that it feels a bit "heavy" when installed in the computer. When Windows 7 got out, tried it out immediately and I feel it is much lighter in the system. OR maybe its just that I use it on a computer that was bought back in 08'.

Vista is actually a good OS especially on its SP2 update, and like RLemon and the other guys from the top said, it is probably because of using it on inappropriate hardware.

More like an unfinished product of the to be at the time, W7 that lags up all the time and hardly works.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

Vista with service pack 1 was a great os, but before that it was just rubbish.

I personally never had any issues with it and actually liked it quite a bit. Only reason I upgraded to 7 was because it was lighter on resources and overall generally faster.

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

Windows always release a good os, then a bad os.

XP = Good

Vista = Bad

7 = Good

8 = Bad

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Windows always release a good os' date=' then a bad os. XP = Good Vista = Bad 7 = Good 8 = Bad[/quote']

I actually think that they broke the bad release cycle this time with Windows 8, it's been getting bad press from many people, but most haven't tried it for more than a day or two, give it a week and it will grow on you.

​I think that Vista got such a bad wrap because it was very buggy and resource intensive until at least after SP1.

Vista is not bad, but my dad upgraded to win7 32-bit (for some reason he could only upgrade to that, and a whole new os was much more expensive) and his laptop now runs 10 degrees cooler and is much faster.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

No. Vista failure was many factors: OEMs, users, manufactures and Microsoft poor execution are at fault.

Here is why Vista failed:

-> Lack of any advertisement. This is and always been a HUGE problem for Microsoft. Either their ads are poor, or not really visible to the mass users, especially outside of the U.S. The excellent, iPod supposed killer Zune is an exact example of Microsoft problems in pushing hardware, and advertisement. Microsoft learned some things with Zune failure, but not enough in my opinion.

-> Incomplete documentation at release of Vista for IT and developers.

-> 64-bit Vista public beta was the most downloaded and tested. Yet Microsoft pushed the 32-bit version of Vista to OEM and users for device compatibility. They should have not focused on providing compatibility for such devices, as for many users with such old devices, don't have the specs to run Vista properly. So the 64-bit Vista was more polished than the 32-bit version.

-> Vista was ahead of its time. It was only enjoyable to use if you had a serious gaming system. Most people barely had the minimum requirement of Vista. You needed 3GB of RAM, dual core 64-bit CPU (At the time you only had AMD Athlon X2 64-bit.. and later Core 2 Duo as options)

-> Microsoft Vista minimum specs were too low for what it needs. So, with the users looking for lowest price over anything, that made OEMs make system with too low specs. This resulted in users having a poor experience with Vista.

-> High level of hype after waiting 6 years for a new version of Windows, which under deliver.

-> Vista focus was on its new core. End users didn't see or understanding what was new, as beside a few handful of new features, it's all work on the core of the OS. While the decision to scrap everything and restart working from essentially scratch was excellent, and DEEPLY needed (XP was based on 1993 Windows NT 3 core... the internet was not and what it is, so security level was laughable in 2006 standard, let alone, new technology support. So it was deeply needed).

-> Microsoft released too many early beta build to manufacture to requirest driver support, with too many core changes, it made manufacture ignore making drivers for the OS, and wait for its final release.

-> Aero. With the users looking for the lowest price PC over anything, it made many users have Intel integrated solutions, which were unable or had a really hard time drawing Aero. This caused laptops reduce their battery life as the Intel integrated solution was hard at work all the time. While any low end Nvidia or ATI GPU could handle Aero without lifting a finger. On my 4 years old laptop. People that picked the Nvidia GPU, had longer battery life under Vista and later Win7, than with Intel graphic solution, as Aero was nothing for Nvidia GPU, but semi-hard for Intel with, at the time, Intel latest graphic solution offering. If I disabled Aero, my battery life droped, as it would use teh CPU to draw the interface. And I think I should not explain how CPUs sucks at drawing. Mix with that, with Intel sucky driver support got their graphic card, you have user having a poor experience with Vista.

-> Vista is the most inconsistent Windows ever made... its like no department was communicating between each other... look!

Capture5.JPG

PICK ONE!

Mix all that with people that want change but don't like change effect, and you have Vista troubling reception.

Once it's patched up it's okay but on release it wasn't great

The same reason why people hate Windows 8 - people are stupid.

No offense, but Windows 8 is great and Windows Vista when patched up and updated is good.

Its just the fact that people start ripping on stuff they havnt even touched or they start ripping on it because 'they heard people say it somewhere else and now theyre gonna say it aswell'

Anyways, yeah :D

When I use Vista I had no problem with it, the computers specs weren't that great either. To be honest I like it while I used it, but then again I didn't use it for long to maybe see the bad effects of the OS.

Why do you quote yourself?

I was running vista on my computers when it was released, and it just made windows explorer crash like every 10 minutes

My personal experiance with windows vista has not been great, it is quite slow and froze alot on me. Windows 7 is awesome and i also like wiondows 8.

Maybe i just had trouble upgrading from windows xp as it is still pretty awesome.