Question about radiators

Go to solution Solved by Lurick,

From what I could find, the Nemesis GTR has shorter fins, allowing for it to have more coolant tubes (lower restriction), more fin arrays (higher fin surface area) and overall higher airflow scaling compared to the Nemesis GTX. This is aimed more for people wanting med-high airflow, or push-pull fan configuration. The Nemesis GTX is still going to outperform this at low airflow/noise.

So i was just wondering about the difference between hardwarelabs nemesis gtx and gtr radiators. What's the difference? When should i use one over the other? I am a complete watercooling noob, however wanted to do a project in near future maybe and im curious, any better radiators out there? I'd most likely  go with 140mm variant just because i already have a bunch noctua chromax 140 fans. Anyway whats the difference between the two? if anyone could explain? Thanks 

From what I could find, the Nemesis GTR has shorter fins, allowing for it to have more coolant tubes (lower restriction), more fin arrays (higher fin surface area) and overall higher airflow scaling compared to the Nemesis GTX. This is aimed more for people wanting med-high airflow, or push-pull fan configuration. The Nemesis GTX is still going to outperform this at low airflow/noise.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Thanks for that, summed it up very well in a clean a quick response that made sense. However being that the gtr has lower restriction in the coolant flow, wouldnt that mean i could run the pump at a lower speed than the gtx? Perhaps im need to look a little more into pumps now?

The GTR has higher surface area and less restricted airflow.

The GTX is meant for lower noises, as it has lesser airflow and surface area. It outperforms the GTR at lower airflows.

Upcoming Build

Intel i9 9700K

Custom Loop

ASUS Z390-F Gaming Motherboard

16 GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz G.Skill Trident Z RGB

RTX 2070 Super

Samsung 970 Evo M.2 SSD

Intel Optane 32 GB

Seagate Firecuda SSHD

Daily Driver

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.3 Ghz

NZXT Kraken X62

ASUS X470-F Gaming Motherboard

16 GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2933Mhz G.Skill Trident Z RGB

RX Vega 56 8GB

Samsung 970 Evo M.2 SSD

Samsung 860 SATA SSD 

Seagate Firecuda SSHD

7 minutes ago, gigabytesmatter said:

Thanks for that, summed it up very well in a clean a quick response that made sense. However being that the gtr has lower restriction in the coolant flow, wouldnt that mean i could run the pump at a lower speed than the gtx? Perhaps im need to look a little more into pumps now?

Depending on your budget I would go with a D5 pump or maybe a DDC if you can keep it cool. I always run pumps at full speed and just adjust my fan speeds but that's just preference

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Depending on your budget I would go with a D5 pump or maybe a DDC if you can keep it cool. I always run pumps at full speed and just adjust my fan speeds but that's just preference

See ive heard ddc is better for restrictive situation and has more pressure but i also heard that theyre louder and produce a whine, having owned neither i cant judge, if i could keep a ddc cool would it be better than a d5? Would i lose much flow rate? Curious about this now. Thanks again

8 minutes ago, gigabytesmatter said:

See ive heard ddc is better for restrictive situation and has more pressure but i also heard that theyre louder and produce a whine, having owned neither i cant judge, if i could keep a ddc cool would it be better than a d5? Would i lose much flow rate? Curious about this now. Thanks again

id' go d5 just because i've heard the DDC run at full speed.

both will serve your purpose   head pressure = how high it can pump vertically. flow is a measure of rotation of the fluid in side the loop.

it will come down to a aesthetic aspect of your build DDC is smaller and a heatsink is recommended to keep it from getting to hot.  D5 is significantly larger. but much quieter as well it keep its self cooled by pumping the fluid.

6 minutes ago, Neo-revo said:

id' go d5 just because i've heard the DDC run at full speed.

both will serve your purpose   head pressure = how high it can pump vertically. flow is a measure of rotation of the fluid in side the loop.

it will come down to a aesthetic aspect of your build DDC is smaller and a heatsink is recommended to keep it from getting to hot.  D5 is significantly larger. but much quieter as well it keep its self cooled by pumping the fluid.

D5 it is then so, noise is a no no for me, hense the interest in the gtx radiators to begin with