a Pixel 3 XL was found in Hong Kong, ahead of the Google event

1 hour ago, Emberstone said:

The Pixel started out as the king of Android phones, but now it's no better than a bad iPhone clone.

It never did though. It was basically a Nexus with a higher price tag and slightly more features.

The reason it was even considered a "king" in the first place is because the Note7 blew itself out of existence. And idk about you, but I think how people say Pixels are the fastest Android phones around are just a fallacy at this point. Every Android phone I've used in 2018 has been no less than perfectly usable with very little annoying lags and hitches.

Given that a Nokia 7+ already perfectly satisfies 99% of my smartphone requirements, what does Google offer that justifies the price jump? A flagship SoC that I likely wouldn't notice much in daily use? Faster updates versus a phone that already isn't very far behind what Google does (and usually breaks something in the process)? A camera whose brilliant software is now available as an almost-perfect port for most flagship and midrange Android phones?

Someone said it before, but Google should've been the one to show how they think an Android phone should be. Instead, we have Google just following dumb trends.

There was a time where I would consider a Nexus mostly for the stock software due to its design and fluid performance. That time is no longer with us.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 hours ago, Emberstone said:

Honestly, I'd rather use my iPhone 5 with its bezels and chins (and its glorious headphone jack) than a high-end phone with a notch.

The Pixel started out as the king of Android phones, but now it's no better than a bad iPhone clone. If you're buying an expensive Android, just go for an S9 or Note 9 IMO. That way, you get the full package at least.

I was thinking that until I realized how cheap you can get the LG G7 and Huawei P20 through phone carriers. I mean I could buy the P20 new for $340 Canadian right now. I don’t even know why you’d buy a Pocophone or any midrange phone. The LG G7 is about half the price of the Samsung S9 and is comparable. 

Oh well.

I decided a while ago that I never will buy a flagship phone again.

That means if I where to buy a phone now it would be Nokia 7 plus or some other phone around that range.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

38 minutes ago, Mihle said:

Oh well.

I decided a while ago that I never will buy a flagship phone again.

That means if I where to buy a phone now it would be Nokia 7 plus or some other phone around that range.

Nah! You can do better than a Nokia 7 for the price. Just don’t buy full retail. 

there is only one ugglier modern phone tbh:

Moto-G7-5K1-696x435.jpg

YOU DONT GET TO HAVE A NOTCH IF YOU HAVE A FORHEAD!

i dislike the notch in general, but the Pixel 3XL and the Moto G7 pictured above are probably the worst two examples, and look at their chins too ???

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, kokakolia said:

Nah! You can do better than a Nokia 7 for the price. Just don’t buy full retail. 

?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 

-Stephen Hawking

13 minutes ago, Mihle said:

?

It’s a midrange phone and you may as well buy a flagship from last year instead.

3 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

It’s a midrange phone and you may as well buy a flagship from last year instead.

As for example?

-Stephen Hawking

12 minutes ago, Mihle said:

As for example?

In Canada you can get a Huawei P20 through Koodo for $360 through their tab system. You pay $15 every month for 24 months. I challenge you to find a better phone for the money. 

Uninteresting phone overall. If I wanted an iPhone then I'd just get an iPhone. There are other flagship Android phones that serve better the overall platform than what the Pixel does.

1 hour ago, kokakolia said:

In Canada you can get a Huawei P20 through Koodo for $360 through their tab system. You pay $15 every month for 24 months. I challenge you to find a better phone for the money. 

That isnt in my country.
P20 is 500 € here.
Nokia 7 Plus is 390 €:
And before you ask, no those that you pay per month is not cheaper.
Well, they are if you lock yourself to a company, AND have subscription with them on 5 GB, then P20 is still 475€. (cheaper if you go up on GB, but I do not need more, 5 GB is still more than enough)

Only the 128 GB version is available at that but 64 is what I need, so I compare it to the new price of 64 gb version.

Also, P20 does not have headphone jack if I remember right.
And, Nokia 7 Plus have bigger battery.
And if Huawei P20 skin is anything like it was 3 years ago or something, no, just no.

-Stephen Hawking

5 minutes ago, Mihle said:

That isnt in my country.
P20 is 500 € here.
Nokia 7 Plus is 390 €:
And before you ask, no those that you pay per month is not cheaper.
Well, they are if you lock yourself to a company, AND have subscription with them on 5 GB, then P20 is still 475€. (cheaper if you go up on GB, but I do not need more, 5 GB is still more than enough)

Only the 128 GB version is available at that but 64 is what I need, so I compare it to the new price of 64 gb version.

Also, P20 does not have headphone jack if I remember right.
And, Nokia 7 Plus have bigger battery.
And if Huawei P20 skin is anything like it was 3 years ago or something, no, just no.

In Canada, every phone sold as of December 1st, 2017 has to be sold unlocked.  You're still subsidizing the cost through your plan, but you're not getting a carrier-restricted device.

5 minutes ago, Commodus said:

In Canada, every phone sold as of December 1st, 2017 has to be sold unlocked.  You're still subsidizing the cost through your plan, but you're not getting a carrier-restricted device.

I don't know if it's locked or unlocked here but still, if you do the subscription that subsidizing the phone, even if the phone isn't locked (don't know), you are still locked to the subscription itself. 

-Stephen Hawking

So here's the Pixel 3 XL versus a OnePlus 6

Jeez, that notch... 

DSC06331.jpg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

17 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

So here's the Pixel 3 XL versus a OnePlus 6

Jeez, that notch... 

DSC06331.jpg

see_that01.jpg

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 hour ago, TopHatProductions115 said:

A notch below the rest...

a notch so big, it made the status bar wider 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

18 hours ago, Commodus said:

In Canada the 3 big mobile companies Telus, Rogers and Bell are fixing the prices so high for data plans that you may as well get a French cell plan and pay roaming fees. Whenever I see someone talk in euros, I am thinking “congratulations, your data plans are very affordable”. 

So yes, you may have to pay more for your phone but you save hundreds of euros on your data every year.

Joining the notch horde, sad

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

If BlackBerry comes out with a phone with a notch, I'm going to loose it. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

Ya, but again, they're not doing it to copy Apple as those 5 other brands did.  It's just Google's way of keeping the speaker and camera on the front.  If a company does it for that reason I don't really see a problem with it.  

Still, it looks stupid and can be avoided with a tiny, tiny bezel on the top

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

On 10/6/2018 at 9:53 AM, TopHatProductions115 said:

That is incorrect. Google it:

Nothing against you, but I've been seeing lots of people lately that will say  'facts' without verifying them first (especially as of late). Please be more careful.

What I mean is, the way how notifications are handled. On iOS, notifications don't take up space in the status bar... Android? The status bar used to have 8 notifications displayed before it truncates them. But with Pie, the maximum number of notifications is reduced to 4 for non-notch phones (thanks Google...) and... 2 for the Pixel 3 XL.

I don't like it.

It really says something about Google's confidence in this product when they've been so systematically leaking this thing out to gauge the public's reaction. I'm not a huge notch hater (don't like them either, to be fair) but even I think that's way too much.

edit: I can't wait to see the audience reaction during the keynote this week though haha

Also, I can't help but feel that the notch area is a heap of wasted space