Find My Iphone App misleading

Tocsin_786

so today i get home from school couple hours later a cop shows up asking me if i stole somebody's iphone, i havent stolen anything in my life and the explanation the cop gave me was that the find my iphone app shows my location on the stolen thing. im scared for my life as so i can be arrested for something i didnt commit and i was wondering if apple users find the service faulty

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

I've used it a number of times and it has been a little dodgy recently but it was only out a couple of hundred meters.

It's only as accurate as the location sensors. It could be your neighbours, not you.

well im in new york so couple hundred meters is a matter of the 3 houses surrounding mine

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

You can't be arrested for an iPhone app locating your house. If you didn't steal the phone, then you'll be fine.

In my experience, Find My iPhone is good only for giving a general idea of where the device could be. I would never trust the location data it gives alone as justification to knock on someone's door and accuse them of taking the device. You can kind of see where the phone is, but once you're in the vicinity you would have to either call it or use the app to force a notification ring at max volume. The app's location data would really only be accurate in places where the houses are pretty far apart, and even then I wouldn't trust that as enough justification.

I'm pretty sure you would only be arrested for it if they actually proved you stole the phone; therefore, it would have to be in your possession or sold by you to someone else after taking it. They would need more solid evidence than Find My iPhone to prove that. If the police is smart where you live, they would realize that the data is not completely reliable. The app should only be treated as a helpful investigation tool, not a reason to go around and harass individuals whose homes fall within its hundred meter range of error. As long as you didn't take the phone, you have nothing to worry about.

In my experience, Find My iPhone is good only for giving a general idea of where the device could be. I would never trust the location data it gives alone as justification to knock on someone's door and accuse them of taking the device. You can kind of see where the phone is, but once you're in the vicinity you would have to either call it or use the app to force a notification ring at max volume. The app's location data would really only be accurate in places where the houses are pretty far apart, and even then I wouldn't trust that as enough justification.

I'm pretty sure you would only be arrested for it if they actually proved you stole the phone; therefore, it would have to be in your possession or sold by you to someone else after taking it. They would need more solid evidence than Find My iPhone to prove that. If the police is smart where you live, they would realize that the data is not completely reliable. The app should only be treated as a helpful investigation tool, not a reason to go around and harass individuals whose homes fall within its hundred meter range of error. As long as you didn't take the phone, you have nothing to worry about.

thank you and i dont think the cop understood the concept to begin with hes kind of old

I use a special software program in order to track my phone, and it's got more features then find my iPhone but its accuracy is about the same. You have nothing to worry about. It's not accurate enough to get in any trouble

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

found the phone someone threw it in my neighbors backyard so it registered as my address not my neighbors