Can anyone ID this port?

djnutty

I bought a regular Ethernet cord to plug into my dorm's router without checking the port first. Big mistake. Can anyone ID this port? Does it work similarly to Ethernet?

Thanks

1005181235a.jpg

2 minutes ago, James Evens said:

RJ11

Does this port have the same functionality of an Ethernet port? I'm asking because I've found a RJ11 male to female Ethernet cord and I just want to make sure it'll work as expected

EDIT: it does not.

That's a Console port on an AP, it is not ethernet and is for accessing the CLI of the AP directly

That AP is most likely powered by PoE so just getting a switch will not work either since you'll end up on the wireless VLAN most likely which will be configured differently (IE what you're allowed to access) than a standard student data VLAN.

Either get a switch and plug it into a data port on the wall, or deal with wireless.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, James Evens said:

no. It is for modem/phones.

Buy a Ethernet hub if you need more lan ports.

Switch, not hub!

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

11 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Switch, not hub!

For the love of all things fluffy, Please Do Not (if you even can) buy a hub. Get a switch

7 hours ago, skippytheturtle said:

For the love of all things fluffy, Please Do Not (if you even can) buy a hub. Get a switch

What do you mean, Hubs are the greatest thing I mean why not send the data to everything connected to it.

2 hours ago, Metable said:

What do you mean, Hubs are the greatest thing I mean why not send the data to everything connected to it.

You mean like a wifi router? That sounds good indeed, gotta get me one of those !!!