Surface Go Soldering More RAM

So I bought the Surface Go 64GB version with 4GB of RAM. Now I Realize that was a mistake even thought I thought I could get away with 4GB cause of the video Linus made about RAM usage and how 4GB is enough for web browsing and 8GB is good all round with 16GB being near overkill but better for gaming and content creation. I have the tools to remove the current RAM chip in the Surface Go and solder an 8GB or even 16GB chip. My question is do I need to flash the chip or Surface Go at all or will it automatically recognize the RAM and work. Any help is appreciated.

8 minutes ago, Turretgaming said:

I thought I could get away with 4GB cause of the video Linus made about RAM usage and how 4GB is enough for web browsing

web browsing is very subjective. most people have a max of 5 tabs open at a time. I sometimes have more than 50. so... life isn't as simple as 4gb is enough for web browsing, because I've seen my browser use more than 8gb of ram on it's own. 

She/Her

3 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

web browsing is very subjective. most people have a max of 5 tabs open at a time. I sometimes have more than 50. so... life isn't as simple as 4gb is enough for web browsing, because I've seen my browser use more than 8gb of ram on it's own. 

Ya I have 10-15 at a time for work and school. mostly documents but still it pins the ram

19 minutes ago, Turretgaming said:

RAM chip

A single chip for the RAM..?

6 minutes ago, Turretgaming said:

Ya I have 10-15 at a time for work and school. mostly documents but still it pins the ram

oh yeah it will. if I have to use systems with 8gb even then I struggle with 15 tabs. can't imagine on 4gb...

She/Her

3 minutes ago, bobbyd52 said:

A single chip for the RAM..?

ya haha its soldered to the pcb. but if anyone knows if it will take to new ram I can solder a new chip. look up the tear down and it marks it on the pcb

4 minutes ago, TopHatProductions115 said:

I'm the worst RAM offender here...

why? do you have 2GB of it or something cause I thought this was the worst

5 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

oh yeah it will. if I have to use systems with 8gb even then I struggle with 15 tabs. can't imagine on 4gb...

tell me about it. I do IT networking and use it to speed test wired connections and it sucks. its nice and small so testing the switches and lines to them is nice as I run around peoples home testing all the lines to find the issue but its hard to get a consistent speed even on a known good line

@Turretgaming (in relation to the "worst RAM offender" comment) It's actually the exact opposite. 

Also, I'd look online to see if anyone else has done PCB work on the Surface Go first before going in if I were you. But, that's neither here nor there...

I doubt it will work...

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

just sell it and buy another one, this way you at least recovered some money, after you are done soldering it will just be a paperweight.

30 minutes ago, TopHatProductions115 said:

@Turretgaming (in relation to the "worst RAM offender" comment) It's actually the exact opposite. 

Also, I'd look online to see if anyone else has done PCB work on the Surface Go first before going in if I were you. But, that's neither here nor there...

I've looked around and it's been done to phones and other laptops I just don't know if Microsoft software locked it. So if I add more the software will see it and go no or won't even see it if it was flashed a certain way

14 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

just sell it and buy another one, this way you at least recovered some money, after you are done soldering it will just be a paperweight.

It's still cheaper this way tho

so completely destroying the surface go is cheaper than selling it and buying the better model?

how should that be possible?

Honestly if you can somehow magically get through the adhesive without breaking the screen or rupturing the battery the ram is not something that can be hand soldered even if you can get a chip that might be compatible. After all of that it still most likely won't work.

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:22 AM, Pixel5 said:

so completely destroying the surface go is cheaper than selling it and buying the better model?

how should that be possible?

trying is worth a shot cause I can keep the cheaper model for only a few extra dollars vs paying another 200$