Easy tips to prevent some accidental Plagiarism?

Fasauceome
Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,

Well I had a graduated friend give me a once over and he said I was clean so I'll just leave it at that.

I wrote a matlab code to graph some data, and a friend of mine showed me code they used to help me understand the Theory part of the assignment. In my opinion, the calculations are really simple and it's to the point where if I put my code side by side with the lent code, it looks a little too similar in my opinion. I'd rather retype my whole script than be expelled for plagiarism (college is expensive) so what are some things to keep in mind to change my problem solving method to be sure I'm not just copying?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Is it really that big a deal.
Lots of my classmates in university got away with cntrl + c, cntrl + v with nothing more than a "Don't do it again".

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

1 minute ago, bleedblue said:

Lots of my classmates in university got away with cntrl + c, cntrl + v with nothing more than a "Don't do it again".

As a matter of principle I'd still rather have a clear cut case of "I didn't do anything wrong." Even though I could probably actually plagiarize and get away with it, I'd rather not.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, VegetableStu said:

//comments? maybe to explain your working

Plenty of comments describing the variables and what the loops are doing. My primary concerns are thus: I want to be accessing array indices differently, I want to be iterating my data differently, etc. (I don't want to post any syntax since I'm not just allowed to up and ask for help on assignments here.)

Primary PC:

Well I had a graduated friend give me a once over and he said I was clean so I'll just leave it at that.

Primary PC:

8 hours ago, bleedblue said:

I know someone who got expelled for plagiarizing their own work. They didn't properly cite an assignment that they did previously.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

3 minutes ago, trag1c said:

I know someone who got expelled for plagiarizing their own work. They didn't properly cite an assignment that they did previously.

That is an entirely different and ludicrous issue. Also, I thought you didn't need to cite preexisting knowledge? How would it be possible to plagiarize previous work if you basically count that as personal knowledge?

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

That is an entirely different and ludicrous issue. Also, I thought you didn't need to cite preexisting knowledge? How would it be possible to plagiarize previous work if you basically count that as personal knowledge?

Because the university technically owns your assignments.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

4 hours ago, fasauceome said:

Not being able to plagiarize yourself usually is just for making sure you can't just take a previous assignment and use it to compose a significant portion of a new assignment. It's a bit less clear than "It's wrong because you are using someone else's work to get your assignment done", but it still KIND OF makes sense as "It's wrong(ish) because you are using previous work to avoid significant parts of an assignment, and getting credit while not "doing" the full assignment"

Not saying it isn't weird, but it still kind of makes sense inside the world of academia, as long as it's not enforced to a ludicrous degree. For example, if you have to write a 10 page paper on a topic in undergrad, and later need to write a 12 page paper on a very similar topic in grad school, you shouldn't be able to just take the exact old paper, add some fluff material, and present it as new work.

I've never heard of this kind of stuff mattering for code assignments though.

Gaming build:

CPU: i7-7700k (5.0ghz, 1.312v)

GPU(s): Asus Strix 1080ti OC (~2063mhz)

Memory: 32GB (4x8) DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000mhz

Motherboard: Asus Prime z270-AR

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W

Cooler: Custom water loop (420mm rad + 360mm rad)

Case: Be quiet! Dark base pro 900 (silver)
Primary storage: Samsung 960 evo m.2 SSD (500gb)

Secondary storage: Samsung 850 evo SSD (250gb)

Server build:

OS: Ubuntu server 16.04 LTS (though will probably upgrade to 17.04 for better ryzen support)

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700x

Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB

Motherboard: Asrock B350 m4 pro

PSU: Corsair CX550M

Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 evo

Storage: 2TB WD Red x1, 128gb OCZ SSD for OS

Case: HAF 932 adv

My primary concerns are thus: I want to be accessing array indices differently, I want to be iterating my data differently, etc. (I don't want to post any syntax since I'm not just allowed to up and ask for help on assignments here.)

Honestly, for stuff like that its just a bit pointless to change and in my opinion both worse for learning code and might make you look suspicious when you are not.

If the code is really that simple, then almost everyone is going to have the same code. Like sure there are lots of ways to do basic things, but arguably doing them in a different way for the sake of it is worse for people learning to code, and makes it look like you were trying to distance your code because you've copied it.

I've done 4 years worth of programming exercises and sure I bet some of my code looked the exact same as everyone elses, but the marker would be expecting that.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

Solutions to programming assignments are usually similar anyway. The only way that makes your code "yours" at this point is your styling.

And if anything, copying and pasting someone else's code and turning that in only hurts them since they'll likely fail tests.

Particularly when the problem is simple to solve, there's really only very few ways to do it, and maybe only one, so it might be unavoidable.  If you're concerned, style it differently, change variable and function names, and add comments to show you understand what it's doing.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

18 hours ago, fasauceome said:

(General academic note) Personal knowledge cannot count as preexisting knowledge, naturally. You'd never have to cite anything if it did. It can be a gray area, however, what can be considered  common knowledge and what not.

As for coding, like people have said, depending on the difficulty of the problem, it can be pretty much unavoidable to arrive at the same solution, bar any coding style maybe.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB