[UPDATE] Windows 10 October Update Potentially Deleting Files and a Warning for Intel Users

PlayStation 2
8 hours ago, mr moose said:

How do you make an artificial thing artificially better than another artificial thing?  They are both man made systems, one is more widely accepted and understood while the other isn't.  

Simple. Windows is used a lot (A LOT) more than Linux on desktops, so Windows gets way more software support. But that doesn't actually make Windows as an OS better, just more widely adopted. Linux is easily the better built OS, but Windows is more viable. Which is why I say Windows is only "artificially" better.

You don't have to split hairs by pointing out the definition of the word "artificial", you know what I meant. Like, come on, really now.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

4 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

Linux is easily the better built OS

Pfft, no, it's not. It's more modukar and fits some niche use cases better, but it's not better built.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Pfft, no, it's not. It's more modukar and fits some niche use cases better, but it's not better built.

Uhhhhh, yeah, it is. Not only is it more modular, it's also faster and more secure while also being lighter on resources and a lot more stable. It does everything better, except being accessible. So unless being more successful in the desktop market is your definition of being built well... Screw it I'm stopping right here because:

1. This is completely off topic.

2. I don't have time to argue about something that's already been debated 50,000 other times.

3. Two minutes of Google will solve this.

Have a great day, everyone. And no I'm not saying that sarcastically. lmao

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

4 hours ago, 2Buck said:

Simple. Windows is used a lot (A LOT) more than Linux on desktops, so Windows gets way more software support. But that doesn't actually make Windows as an OS better, just more widely adopted. Linux is easily the better built OS, but Windows is more viable. Which is why I say Windows is only "artificially" better.

You don't have to split hairs by pointing out the definition of the word "artificial", you know what I meant. Like, come on, really now.

so because you think it is better, that makes it unquestionably better?   I'm not splitting hairs. your entitled to your opinions, but you can't stamp them out like facts and then post  insulting videos becasue you think the other person should just know/accept this. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

so because you think it is better, that makes it unquestionably better?   I'm not splitting hairs. your entitled to your opinions, but you can't stamp them out like facts and then post  insulting videos becasue you think the other person should just know/accept this. 

Can't believe I'm keeping on even after I said I wouldn't, but oh well.

Things I've said:

Spoiler

Windows has way more software than Linux. - Factual.

Windows is easier to use than Linux. - Factual.

Windows is more viable as a main Desktop OS currently. - Factual.

Linux distros are lighter on resources than Windows. - Factual.

Linux is more stable than Windows. - Factual.

Linux is faster. - True in most cases. (Main exception is running Windows programs in Linux.)

Linux is more secure. - Factual.

Hell, I didn't even get into stuff like Windows rot.

Those aren't opinions. I brought these facts up because people were pointlessly arguing about Windows VS Linux when it shouldn't even be necessary. And yeah, I'm a hypocrite for partaking in this now, I'm aware.

And we're on a tech forum, so yes, I expect that people know basic knowledge such as this. Is it wrong that I expect higher of people here than people in the Youtube comments section? I hope not.

The video was directed at:

Spoiler

How do you make an artificial thing artificially better than another artificial thing?  They are both man made systems

which it was quite fitting. Wasn't "insulting" you as you put it, merely pointing out (in a fun way) that you took the word "artificially" completely literal.

So yeah. It's all up to opinion on which OS you choose to use, but you can't change or deny the pros and cons of each.

4 hours ago, 2Buck said:

Can't believe I'm keeping on even after I said I wouldn't, but oh well.

Things I've said:

Hide contents

Windows has way more software than Linux. - Factual.

Windows is easier to use than Linux. - Factual.

Windows is more viable as a main Desktop OS currently. - Factual.

Linux distros are lighter on resources than Windows. - Factual.

Linux is more stable than Windows. - Factual.

Linux is faster. - True in most cases. (Main exception is running Windows programs in Linux.)

Linux is more secure. - Factual.

Hell, I didn't even get into stuff like Windows rot.

Yep, you point out the good bits of both OS's,  that doesn't make one better than the other.  What makes one better than the other is end use scenario. Just like what make diesel better than petrol or a big ute better than a small truck.  End use.  not the opinion of one person and not the fact it might be better at specific tasks.

4 hours ago, 2Buck said:

Those aren't opinions. I brought these facts up because people were pointlessly arguing about Windows VS Linux when it shouldn't even be necessary. And yeah, I'm a hypocrite for partaking in this now, I'm aware.

So why are you participating? 

4 hours ago, 2Buck said:

And we're on a tech forum, so yes, I expect that people know basic knowledge such as this. Is it wrong that I expect higher of people here than people in the Youtube comments section? I hope not.

The video was directed at:

Reveal hidden contents

How do you make an artificial thing artificially better than another artificial thing?  They are both man made systems

which it was quite fitting. Wasn't "insulting" you as you put it, merely pointing out (in a fun way) that you took the word "artificially" completely literal.

So yeah. It's all up to opinion on which OS you choose to use, but you can't change or deny the pros and cons of each.

Claiming it's not insulting because you don't understand the difference between being unnecessarily literal and an bringing up an actual issue with your logic doesn't make the video any less insulting.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

15 hours ago, 2Buck said:

Uhhhhh, yeah, it is. Not only is it more modular, it's also faster and more secure while also being lighter on resources and a lot more stable. It does everything better, except being accessible. So unless being more successful in the desktop market is your definition of being built well... Screw it I'm stopping right here because:

1. This is completely off topic.

2. I don't have time to argue about something that's already been debated 50,000 other times.

3. Two minutes of Google will solve this.

Have a great day, everyone. And no I'm not saying that sarcastically. lmao

it misses the most important aspect.

It reminded me of chrome, it isn't faster, it isn't more secure, it isn't more stable, it isn't lighter on resources, and still.

9 minutes ago, asus killer said:

It reminded me of chrome, it isn't faster, it isn't more secure, it isn't more stable, it isn't lighter on resources, and still.

Agreed it's internet explorer or bust

Image result for internet explorer

24 minutes ago, asus killer said:

chromium (and chrome) on my systems is the only browser i haven't had issues with on some sites. (apart from netflix with chromium, but that's because of DRM support)

i use chromium, and it's a lot faster than firefox. 

i will agree on the resources. with 1 tab open chromium uses 400+mb of ram.... Manjaro Linux without a gui uses about 100mb. a whole OS!

She/Her

12 hours ago, mr moose said:

that doesn't make one better than the other. 

What's funny is, I said that. That's what really gets me here. I said Windows is more viable, while Linux is built better. Each have pros and cons. Read slower next time.

Spoiler

Bad self control. :D

Spoiler

Claiming it's not insulting because you don't understand the difference between being unnecessarily literal and an bringing up an actual issue with your logic doesn't make the video any less insulting.

An actual issue with my logic, hm? Do elaborate. I'd love to hear it. If it's so illogical to say that Windows is a more viable and easier to use OS while Linux is better in all other ways, then let's hear it, how is that illogical? I mean surely if I'm such a dumb asshole, it shouldn't be hard, right?

16 hours ago, 2Buck said:

What's funny is, I said that. That's what really gets me here. I said Windows is more viable, while Linux is built better. Each have pros and cons. Read slower next time.

I don't need to read it slower to read you say:

On 10/12/2018 at 2:15 AM, 2Buck said:

But that doesn't actually make Windows as an OS better, just more widely adopted. Linux is easily the better built OS

You can throw in as many qualifiers as you want, but some statements of fact are only perspective driven,  Is windows on better because it has a larger user base? or does it have a larger user base because it is better?    I get why many people prefer Linux, I used it for years as my only OS until I started gaming again and my sons started school and needed less confusion in their lives.  but that doesn't necessarily make either one better built, better quality or better anything.  It's horses for courses.

Hide contents

Bad self control. :D

Fair enough.

Hide contents

An actual issue with my logic, hm? Do elaborate. I'd love to hear it. If it's so illogical to say that Windows is a more viable and easier to use OS while Linux is better in all other ways, then let's hear it, how is that illogical? I mean surely if I'm such a dumb asshole, it shouldn't be hard, right?

Because you claim I was being unnecessarily literal and then posted a video mocking such a trait. I assumed you used the word "artificial" to mean that the windows was seen as better due to the conditions of it's use and not the inherent design of the OS ( if this is not true then I apologize).  To me there was nothing unnecessary about my wanting to understand why you thought its usage was arbitrary to its actual design.  In my understanding Its adoption and usage are a direct result of its design and can't be separated any more than we can claim Linux is only better because more software/product use it (this would be to ignore why they use it).   

On 10/12/2018 at 4:36 AM, 2Buck said:

and a lot more stable

Well that can be disputed, especially when it comes to using it as a full time desktop and trying to make do all, I mean all, the things you can do on a Windows desktop. I'm not super recent with using Linux as a desktop but when I did stability was a big issue, or more correctly getting something to actually work at all was a right pain i.e. high quality surround sound.

I'm no stranger to Linux, as a server, but often usability as a desktop is akin to smashing a hammer on your hand once every few months (3-6). It's not often but when it happens it bloody hurts. That fear of pain is more than enough to prevent usage, even for the knowledgeable person.

Even stability on Linux servers can be a problem but that more comes down to packages, but it's all one ecosystem, so when you get stuck in a failed deployment with dependency inception loops of doom I really don't give a damn about how modular or 'better built' the OS is it's still fucked and easier to restore from backup than try and fix it.

I don't need to read it slower to read you say:

Oh, but you do. You see, there I said Linux was "better built", not that it was the better choice. Guess you didn't read:

So yes, read slower, it helps. In fact, in my first post about Linux on this thread, I said "Windows is far more viable than Linux" and pointed out the two main reasons why, so maybe if you had been paying attention from the get go this conversation wouldn't even be happening. Hell, I'm posting this from Windows 7, so I don't think I'm a blind Linux elitist like you imply.

Again, the video was pointing out the fact that you felt like you had to explain that Windows and Linux are both man made, taking the word "artificial" completely literal. The literal definition of "literal":

"made or produced by human beings rather than occurring naturally, typically as a copy of something natural. "

I clearly explained my non literal use of the word twice.

Also, if you really believe that WIndows got where it is because of it's design, then you should really go back and learn what Microsoft has done to get the monopoly they have now.

Now I'm just repeating myself, so I'm done for real now.

8 hours ago, leadeater said:

I'm not super recent with using Linux as a desktop but when I did stability was a big issue, or more correctly getting something to actually work at all was a right pain i.e. high quality surround sound.

Well surround is pretty easy to setup(you just need to set your sound card to the correct mode), as for quality AFAIK it switches the sound card to the same bitrate and sampling rate as the source.

4 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Well surround is pretty easy to setup(you just need to set your sound card to the correct mode), as for quality AFAIK it switches the sound card to the same bitrate and sampling rate as the source.

It's really not that simple when your both trying to play a DVD/Bluray and use DTS and not a simple unencoded bitstream multi-channel source. I know it's a lot better now but that sort of thing has always been rather garbage on Linux.

Getting plug in play, flawless, simple to setup surround sound decoding of all modern codecs (up to DTS:MA or even DTS:X/Dobly Atmos) is absolutely not on the same level as Windows.

One I had to do work, not difficult work but still a decent amount of time finding the best solution, and the other I can do nothing and it works.

8 hours ago, leadeater said:

It's really not that simple when your both trying to play a DVD/Bluray and use DTS and not a simple unencoded bitstream multi-channel source.

Correct me if im wrong but decoding those are the job of the software that plays the media. So it should boil down to is if that software supports that particular encoding or not.

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

Correct me if im wrong but decoding those are the job of the software that plays the media. So it should boil down to is if that software supports that particular encoding or not.

Sort of, without going on a long rant about it here's just one example of the stuff you have to do.

https://medium.com/@gamunu/enable-high-quality-audio-on-linux-6f16f3fe7e1f

Then for me I actually don't want the software to decode it and actually want it to pass it through to my Receiver, but for non encoded audio I also need to mix the sub/lfe channel in to the front and rear L/R.

This was also complicated at the time I was doing it because a lot of the advanced codecs and plugins were still having the battle of ALSA or OOS sound kernels.

TL;DR If you have the equipment to both care and notice the difference and also don't just accept 'good enough' the Linux audio experience is not as good as Windows or Mac OS, it's another one of those typical can be but only if you make it so Linux things.

17 hours ago, 2Buck said:

Oh, but you do. You see, there I said Linux was "better built", not that it was the better choice. Guess you didn't read:

I did read that, I also read you making claims about Linux being better built.  According to whom, you, half a dozen fans? Linus Torvalds?  Notice there are a few people who question such a claim not just me being too literal.

So yes, read slower, it helps. In fact, in my first post about Linux on this thread, I said "Windows is far more viable than Linux" and pointed out the two main reasons why, so maybe if you had been paying attention from the get go this conversation wouldn't even be happening. Hell, I'm posting this from Windows 7, so I don't think I'm a blind Linux elitist like you imply.

I was paying attention, I really only question one aspect of you logic, to be quite honest I don;t know why you are so upset about the rest of it. .

Again, the video was pointing out the fact that you felt like you had to explain that Windows and Linux are both man made, taking the word "artificial" completely literal. The literal definition of "literal":

"made or produced by human beings rather than occurring naturally, typically as a copy of something natural. "

I clearly explained my non literal use of the word twice.

I have already explained all of that but you haven't addressed it, in fact you cut it out of the quote, here it is again:

On 10/13/2018 at 7:51 PM, mr moose said:

Because you claim I was being unnecessarily literal and then posted a video mocking such a trait. I assumed you used the word "artificial" to mean that the windows was seen as better due to the conditions of it's use and not the inherent design of the OS ( if this is not true then I apologize).  To me there was nothing unnecessary about my wanting to understand why you thought its usage was arbitrary to its actual design.  In my understanding Its adoption and usage are a direct result of its design and can't be separated any more than we can claim Linux is only better because more software/product use it (this would be to ignore why they use it).   

So even though I have posted this you are still trying to argue it's not insulting because? why?

Also, if you really believe that Windows got where it is because of it's design, then you should really go back and learn what Microsoft has done to get the monopoly they have now.

I don't actually believe any of this is absolute, it was a postulation that explained the link beyond your claims of artificial popularity.  In fact it if you read my whole post you might have understood that it simply demonstrates that the foundation of claiming an artificial advantage does not exists as a concrete because you rely on Linux being an intrinsically superior design before such a claim has any merit. 

EDIT: so to take this back to my original post on the subject, arguing over which is better is like arguing of which car is better.  You can argue GM are built better than Ford or that Nissan are better than Mazda or the Citreon are better than Dodge.  I don;t personally care which one is better for you because it will be different for every other person out there.

2 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

This could be outdated, Kubuntu 18.04 do not have a '/etc/asound.conf' file...

See if you can configure it via /var/lib/alsa/asound.state

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture#ALSA_and_Systemd

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

3 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

See if you can configure it via /var/lib/alsa/asound.state

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture#ALSA_and_Systemd

It seems to be a different file, no such section in that the article mentions:

Spoiler

root@patakija-NUC6CAYH:/home/patakija# cat /var/lib/alsa/asound.state
state.PCH {
        control.1 {
                iface MIXER
                name 'Headphone Playback Volume'
                value.0 87
                value.1 87
                comment {
                        access 'read write'
                        type INTEGER
                        count 2
                        range '0 - 87'
                        dbmin -6525
                        dbmax 0
                        dbvalue.0 0
                        dbvalue.1 0
                }
        }
        control.2 {
                iface MIXER
                name 'Headphone Playback Switch'
                value.0 true
                value.1 true
                comment {
                        access 'read write'
                        type BOOLEAN
                        count 2
                }
        }
        control.3 {
                iface MIXER
                name 'Headphone Playback Volume'
                index 1
                value.0 87
                value.1 87
                comment {
                        access 'read write'
                        type INTEGER
                        count 2
                        range '0 - 87'
                        dbmin -6525
                        dbmax 0
                        dbvalue.0 0
                        dbvalue.1 0
                }
        }
        control.4 {
                iface MIXER
                name 'Headphone Playback Switch'
                index 1
                value.0 true
                value.1 true
                comment {
                        access 'read write'
                        type BOOLEAN
                        count 2
                }
        }
        control.5 {
                iface MIXER
                name 'Loopback Mixing'
                value Disabled
                comment {
                        access 'read write'
                        type ENUMERATED
                        count 1
                        item.0 Disabled
                        item.1 Enabled
                }
        }
        control.6 {
                iface MIXER
                name 'Mic Playback Volume'
                value.0 0
                value.1 0
                comment {
                        access 'read write'
                        type INTEGER
                        count 2
                        range '0 - 31'
                        dbmin -3450
                        dbmax 1200
                        dbvalue.0 -3450
                        dbvalue.1 -3450
                }
        }
        control.7 {
                iface MIXER
                name 'Mic Playback Switch'
                value.0 false
                value.1 false
                comment {
                        access 'read write'
                        type BOOLEAN
                        count 2
                }
        }
        control.8 {
                iface MIXER
                name 'Capture Volume'
                value.0 39
                value.1 39
                comment {
                        access 'read write'
                        type INTEGER
                        count 2
                        range '0 - 63'
                        dbmin -1725
                        dbmax 3000
                        dbvalue.0 1200
                        dbvalue.1 1200
                }
        }
        control.9 {
                iface MIXER
                name 'Capture Switch'
                value.0 true
                value.1 true
                comment {
                        access 'read write'
                        type BOOLEAN
                        count 2
                }
        }
        control.10 {
                iface MIXER
                name 'Mic Boost Volume'
                value.0 0
                value.1 0
                comment {
                        access 'read write'
                        type INTEGER
                        count 2
                        range '0 - 3'
                        dbmin 0
                        dbmax 3600
                        dbvalue.0 0
                        dbvalue.1 0
                }
        }
        control.11 {
                iface MIXER
                name 'IEC958 Playback Con Mask'
                index 16
                value '0fff000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000'
                comment {
                        access read
                        type IEC958
                        count 1
                }
        }
        control.12 {
                iface MIXER
                name 'IEC958 Playback Pro Mask'
                index 16
                value '0f00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000'
                comment {
                        access read
                        type IEC958
                        count 1
                }
        }
        control.13 {
                iface MIXER
                name 'IEC958 Playback Default'
                index 16
                value '0400000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000'
                comment {
                        access 'read write'
                        type IEC958
                        count 1
                }
        }
        control.14 {
                iface MIXER
                name 'IEC958 Playback Switch'
                index 16
                value true
                comment {
                        access 'read write'
                        type BOOLEAN
                        count 1
                }
        }
        control.15 {
                iface MIXER
                name 'IEC958 Default PCM Playback Switch'
                value true
                comment {
                        access 'read write'
                        type BOOLEAN
                        count 1
                }
        }
        control.16 {
                iface MIXER
                name 'Master Playback Volume'
                value 87
                comment {
                        access 'read write'
                        type INTEGER
                        count 1
                        range '0 - 87'
                        dbmin -6525
                        dbmax 0
                        dbvalue.0 0
                }
        }
        control.17 {
                iface MIXER
                name 'Master Playback Switch'
                value true
                comment {
                        access 'read write'
                        type BOOLEAN
                        count 1
                }
        }
        control.18 {
                iface CARD
                name 'Mic Jack'
                value false
                comment {
                        access read
                        type BOOLEAN
                        count 1
                }
        }
        control.19 {
                iface CARD
                name 'Headphone Front Jack'
                value false
                comment {
                        access read
                        type BOOLEAN
                        count 1
                }
        }
        control.20 {
                iface CARD
                name 'Front Headphone Surround Jack'
                value false
                comment {
                        access read
                        type BOOLEAN
                        count 1
                }
        }
        control.21 {
                iface CARD
                name 'SPDIF Phantom Jack'
                value true
                comment {
                        access read
                        type BOOLEAN
                        count 1
                }
        }
        control.22 {
                iface MIXER
                name 'Beep Playback Volume'
                value.0 0
                value.1 0
                comment {
                        access 'read write'
                        type INTEGER
                        count 2
                        range '0 - 31'
                        dbmin -3450
                        dbmax 1200
                        dbvalue.0 -3450
                        dbvalue.1 -3450
                }
        }
        control.23 {
                iface MIXER
                name 'Beep Playback Switch'
                value.0 false
                value.1 false
                comment {
                        access 'read write'
                        type BOOLEAN
                        count 2
                }
        }
        control.24 {
                iface PCM
                name 'Playback Channel Map'
                value.0 0
                value.1 0
                value.2 0
                value.3 0
                comment {
                        access read
                        type INTEGER
                        count 4
                        range '0 - 36'
                }
        }
        control.25 {
                iface PCM
                name 'Capture Channel Map'
                value.0 0
                value.1 0
                comment {
                        access read
                        type INTEGER
                        count 2
                        range '0 - 36'
                }
        }
        control.26 {
                iface PCM
                device 1
                value.0 0
                value.1 0
                comment {
                        access read
                        type INTEGER
                        count 2
                        range '0 - 36'
                }
        }
        control.27 {
                iface CARD
                name 'HDMI/DP,pcm=3 Jack'
                value true
                comment {
                        access read
                        type BOOLEAN
                        count 1
                }
        }
        control.28 {
                iface MIXER
                value '0fff000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000'
                comment {
                        access read
                        type IEC958
                        count 1
                }
        }
        control.29 {
                iface MIXER
                value '0f00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000'
                comment {
                        access read
                        type IEC958
                        count 1
                }
        }
        control.30 {
                iface MIXER
                value '0400000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000'
                comment {
                        access 'read write'
                        type IEC958
                        count 1
                }
        }
        control.31 {
                iface MIXER
                value true
                comment {
                        access 'read write'
                        type BOOLEAN
                        count 1
                }
        }
        control.32 {
                iface PCM
                device 3
                name ELD
                value '100007006616000000000000000000001e6d005b32374d553637090707000000'
                comment {
                        access 'read volatile'
                        type BYTES
                        count 32
                }
        }
        control.33 {
                iface CARD
                name 'HDMI/DP,pcm=7 Jack'
                value false
                comment {
                        access read
                        type BOOLEAN
                        count 1
                }
        }
        control.34 {
                iface MIXER
                index 1
                comment {
                        access read
                        type IEC958
                        count 1
                }
        }
        control.35 {
                iface MIXER
                index 1
                comment {
                        access read
                        type IEC958
                        count 1
                }
        }
        control.36 {
                iface MIXER
                index 1
                comment {
                        access 'read write'
                        type IEC958
                        count 1
                }
        }
        control.37 {
                iface MIXER
                index 1
                value true
                comment {
                        access 'read write'
                        type BOOLEAN
                        count 1
                }
        }
        control.38 {
                iface PCM
                device 7
                name ELD
                value ''
                comment {
                        access 'read volatile'
                        type BYTES
                        count 0
                }
        }
        control.39 {
                iface CARD
                name 'HDMI/DP,pcm=8 Jack'
                value false
                comment {
                        access read
                        type BOOLEAN
                        count 1
                }
        }
        control.40 {
                iface MIXER
                index 2
                comment {
                        access read
                        type IEC958
                        count 1
                }
        }
        control.41 {
                iface MIXER
                index 2
                comment {
                        access read
                        type IEC958
                        count 1
                }
        }
        control.42 {
                iface MIXER
                index 2
                comment {
                        access 'read write'
                        type IEC958
                        count 1
                }
        }
        control.43 {
                iface MIXER
                index 2
                value true
                comment {
                        access 'read write'
                        type BOOLEAN
                        count 1
                }
        }
        control.44 {
                iface PCM
                device 8
                name ELD
                value ''
                comment {
                        access 'read volatile'
                        type BYTES
                        count 0
                }
        }
        control.45 {
                iface CARD
                name 'HDMI/DP,pcm=9 Jack'
                value false
                comment {
                        access read
                        type BOOLEAN
                        count 1
                }
        }
        control.46 {
                iface MIXER
                index 3
                comment {
                        access read
                        type IEC958
                        count 1
                }
        }
        control.47 {
                iface MIXER
                index 3
                comment {
                        access read
                        type IEC958
                        count 1
                }
        }
        control.48 {
                iface MIXER
                index 3
                comment {
                        access 'read write'
                        type IEC958
                        count 1
                }
        }
        control.49 {
                iface MIXER
                index 3
                value true
                comment {
                        access 'read write'
                        type BOOLEAN
                        count 1
                }
        }
        control.50 {
                iface PCM
                device 9
                name ELD
                value ''
                comment {
                        access 'read volatile'
                        type BYTES
                        count 0
                }
        }
        control.51 {
                iface CARD
                name 'HDMI/DP,pcm=10 Jack'
                value false
                comment {
                        access read
                        type BOOLEAN
                        count 1
                }
        }
        control.52 {
                iface MIXER
                index 4
                comment {
                        access read
                        type IEC958
                        count 1
                }
        }
        control.53 {
                iface MIXER
                index 4
                comment {
                        access read
                        type IEC958
                        count 1
                }
        }
        control.54 {
                iface MIXER
                index 4
                comment {
                        access 'read write'
                        type IEC958
                        count 1
                }
        }
        control.55 {
                iface MIXER
                index 4
                value true
                comment {
                        access 'read write'
                        type BOOLEAN
                        count 1
                }
        }
        control.56 {
                iface PCM
                device 10
                name ELD
                value ''
                comment {
                        access 'read volatile'
                        type BYTES
                        count 0
                }
        }
        control.57 {
                iface PCM
                device 3
                value.0 0
                value.1 0
                value.2 0
                value.3 0
                value.4 0
                value.5 0
                value.6 0
                value.7 0
                comment {
                        access 'read write'
                        type INTEGER
                        count 8
                        range '0 - 36'
                }
        }
        control.58 {
                iface PCM
                device 7
                value.0 0
                value.1 0
                value.2 0
                value.3 0
                value.4 0
                value.5 0
                value.6 0
                value.7 0
                comment {
                        access 'read write'
                        type INTEGER
                        count 8
                        range '0 - 36'
                }
        }
        control.59 {
                iface PCM
                device 8
                value.0 0
                value.1 0
                value.2 0
                value.3 0
                value.4 0
                value.5 0
                value.6 0
                value.7 0
                comment {
                        access 'read write'
                        type INTEGER
                        count 8
                        range '0 - 36'
                }
        }
        control.60 {
                iface PCM
                device 9
                value.0 0
                value.1 0
                value.2 0
                value.3 0
                value.4 0
                value.5 0
                value.6 0
                value.7 0
                comment {
                        access 'read write'
                        type INTEGER
                        count 8
                        range '0 - 36'
                }
        }
        control.61 {
                iface PCM
                device 10
                value.0 0
                value.1 0
                value.2 0
                value.3 0
                value.4 0
                value.5 0
                value.6 0
                value.7 0
                comment {
                        access 'read write'
                        type INTEGER
                        count 8
                        range '0 - 36'
                }
        }
        control.62 {
                iface MIXER
                name 'PCM Playback Volume'
                value.0 253
                value.1 253
                comment {
                        access 'read write user'
                        type INTEGER
                        count 2
                        range '0 - 255'
                        tlv '0000000100000008ffffec1400000014'
                        dbmin -5100
                        dbmax 0
                        dbvalue.0 -40
                        dbvalue.1 -40
                }
        }
}

(Warning: Long stuff in spoiler.)

2 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

This could be outdated, Kubuntu 18.04 do not have a '/etc/asound.conf' file...

Most likely, I did say it was a while ago but I honestly don't expect much different other than where you have to go to make those types of changes. ALSA is very much the standard now too, the switch over wasn't at the same pace for every codec/plugin and software and I had a few where sticking with OOS was better at the time.

That's one of my other annoyances with a lot of Linux distros too, changing how they do things too often because the new way is 'better'. Like networking config in 18.04, that was annoying but I know why it was done, still annoying though.