What's your favorite tool(piece of software) you use everytime you code?

mrchow19910319

I am doing web development and here are some of the apps I use daily: 

1. Codekit for browsersync and such

2. VS Code for IDE

3. Google Chrome , duh

4. Typora for markdown editor

What do you use when you code ? (doesn't matter what kind of language you are using) 

What IDE fits your coding style while providing useful features to you don't get in the way ? 

Share your apps/tools collections here! 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

well I use VS for ide but what I use allways , despite language is notepad ++ .

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

JetBrains IntelliJ IDEA for Java, GoLand for Golang.

Visual Studio Code for most other projects (TypeScript, C++).

Sublime Text 3 for whatever else text editing (including MD).

Docker for running my code in local environment.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Editor: VSCode

Language: JavaScript (NodeJS)

Browser: Chrome

Server: NginX + MySQL

At this moment I do mostly web development work, but NodeJS can also make CLI tools and so on and so on :P

A simple software developer from the far away land of Denmark

1 hour ago, IncrediblePony said:

Editor: VSCode

Language: JavaScript (NodeJS)

Browser: Chrome

Server: NginX + MySQL

At this moment I do mostly web development work, but NodeJS can also make CLI tools and so on and so on :P

I am currently learning Web Development, if I have questions I might DM you in the future

XD 

7 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

I am currently learning Web Development, if I have questions I might DM you in the future

XD 

Feel free man :) I'm still a "novice" though but I will do what I can :)

for C# :

Editor : Visual Studio Pro or Community 2015 / 2017 (depend on the projects)

Notes : Notepad++

Most used : Windows Calculator

Database : MSSQL, SQLlite

for Java :

Editor : Eclipse

Most used : Windows calculator or ubuntu calc (depend which OS i am running on)

Database: MSSQL, MySQL

1 hour ago, Franck said:

for C# :

Editor : Visual Studio Pro or Community 2015 / 2017 (depend on the projects)

Most used : Windows Calculator

Database : MSSQL, SQLlite

for Java :

Editor : Eclipse

Most used : Windows calculator or ubuntu calc (depend which OS i am running on)

Database: MSSQL, MySQL

Still using Eclipse for Java? Damn... You're hardcore man :D Your patience must be enormous!

Just now, IncrediblePony said:

Still using Eclipse for Java? Damn... You're hardcore man :D Your patience must be enormous!

99% of the time i code libs so i never have interface to deal with. So not so hardcore.

Visual studio 2017 and a plethora of my own tools.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

2 minutes ago, trag1c said:

Visual studio 2017 and a plethora of my own tools.

there are a lot of extension for it isn't it? 

1 hour ago, LordOTaco said:

Notepad jk...

IntelliJ for Java

I prefer Firefox for Web Dev stuff (and just in general)

VS Community for C#

Don't know if it counts but SharePoint Designer in the day job for those few things I need to do in it.

Yes Sharepoint do count. You can manage lots of thing through C# with it and even server side. You can do wicked things with it when you can control the server. One example is i am trying to implement a voice recognition through the whole network that can take commands and forward through other users on the network. Then server services can get the commands that are not directed to another user on the network and create a custom document based of the spec the user gave in the command and then share it over the intranet.

Sharepoint seems wonderful. Goldnotes could do the same a decade ago.

18 minutes ago, Franck said:

Yes Sharepoint do count. You can manage lots of thing through C# with it and even server side. You can do wicked things with it when you can control the server. One example is i am trying to implement a voice recognition through the whole network that can take commands and forward through other users on the network. Then server services can get the commands that are not directed to another user on the network and create a custom document based of the spec the user gave in the command and then share it over the intranet.

Sharepoint seems wonderful. Goldnotes could do the same a decade ago.

Wow that sounds pretty enticing.  I've been on the web dev and admin side of SharePoint its how I got my foot in the door with IT.  While its restrictive in some ways I am impressed with what it can do and how well C# works with it (which makes sense). 

33 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

Wow that sounds pretty enticing.  I've been on the web dev and admin side of SharePoint its how I got my foot in the door with IT.  While its restrictive in some ways I am impressed with what it can do and how well C# works with it (which makes sense). 

I tried with the 2010 version but i have seen a small dev talk on the 2016 not long ago and it revitalised the will to give it a go again. It also integrate with things like Jira, WCF, Exchange, Skype and Yammer. Probably more but those were the 5 that got me interested.

Just now, Franck said:

I tried with the 2010 version but i have seen a small dev talk on the 2016 not long ago and it revitalised the will to give it a go again. It also integrate with things like Jira, WCF, Exchange, Skype and Yammer. Probably more but those were the 5 that got me interested.

Yeah it integrates with those as well as all office products and especially office 365 which is important for smaller organizations.  They retired InfoPath 2013 but they are supporting it to 2020 which can be used to create some wicked forms and workflows.  There's also a crap ton of third party web parts and modules that enable various things on the user end.

Oh let's see...

-VirtualBox running whatever Linux distro I'm feeling when setting up

- VS Code for most things

- IntelliJ for Java

- VIM for everything else (.config files, shell scripts)

- tmux

- docker

- postman, or insomnia

- Chrome and Firefox, and whatever websocket extension I can find for Chrome

- git (of course!)

- some handful of atlasian tools

10 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

there are a lot of extension for it isn't it? 

There are. I actually don't use too many extensions for it as I haven't found to many things that bug me with it. Most of my tool chain is for my hobbyist game engine and related developments. Currently I am developing a SCM that uses windows junctions so that my server can hold all of my data without me having to have anything but links to the files on my hard drive. I don't know if I'll ever use it but it's something I've wanted to try for a while.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

28 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Sublime (best text editor)

you know sublime just pushed out a git client called sublime merge.

their pricing scheme is that the light theme version is free, if you wanna use the dark theme one, you gotta pay. 

:D 

Unity 3D for games 

Visual Studio 2017 for most programming 

notepad++ google chrome and wamp for web development 

YouTube for music. 

2 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

I like the GitKraken client. It's slow, but really easy to use and really beautiful. :)

might check it out later. getting more and more used to git.