Time Machine unable to make backups in macOS Mojave [unofficial fix]

Exploding Note or lack of recoverable devices... 

The choice is mandatory.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

44 minutes ago, TopHatProductions115 said:

<snip>

BTW, I have Calculus I, Discrete Math, and Linear Algebra under my belt. Not so much with Calculus II. Does reading Socrates, Augustine, and other philosophers count as high enough reading level?

Not enough reading, just keep reading you will never have a high enough level IMO  -click here-  to find out why... /S

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

<snip>

Apple has currently not publicly acknowledged that this issue exists. However they have seeded a beta for macOS 10.14.1, but there is no mention of Time Machine in this beta. 

<snip>

Apple is too busy fussing over why the current iPad after updating no longer switches the screen on when you open its cover. It is like the phenomena of the fridge light turning off when you close the door...everyone needs to look and examine it until there is a common belief that, yes, the light does turn off! ?

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

While I can appreciate large companies having difficulty with simple things like backups or updates....surely 80 users isn't a lot to apple?

6 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Apple and not acknowledging problems.

Name a more iconic duo.

Samsung and random explosions ^^

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

My time machine backups are completing faster now :S

Writing to FreeNAS @100-120 mbps instead of 20 mbps ?

Such perfect timing too, this will pair nicely with the new unrecoverable MacBook SSDs.

Seriously, how to you mess this up?  Not only should it not happen but it definitely should have been caught in testing!  This is backups people, kind of an important thing to not mess with.  This is particularly sad because Time Machine was always one of the products I could point to as someone who doesn't otherwise like them or much that they do and say "this is a great product, more things should be like it".

15 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Apple_rn:

- can't charge new phones via default cable because of software issues

- passwords were vulnerable yet again in Mojave

- can't back up in Time Machine

Come on, Apple. I know making sure shit comes out tip-top ain't easy, but this is just ridiculous.

Just the most recent in a long line of failures over the 1 - 2 years or so that I can't help but feel like never would have happened 10 years ago.  Between the hardware problems and the software problems, I have to say at this point any reputation they had as a top-tier brand focused on quality is 100% dead.  I know others will hold out for far longer but to me, it's over.  I can forgive the occasional problem since "everyone makes mistakes", but this, as you said, is just ridiculous.  I don't know what's happened to completely cripple the hardware, software, and most of all testing/QC departments, but (particularly in the case of the latter), if a story came out claiming Apple had secretly fired the entire team 2 years ago, my reply would be "oh, that explains everything".

I think we're all familiar with the kinds of recommendations (or lack thereof) Razer and certain other companies get on this forum, and frankly I feel that's for good reason, but Apple, despite a large number of people who would also (for a valid reason or not) shun them the same way, they can't "get away with it" without someone coming to their defense and making an argument out of it - something I rarely if ever see happening with many other brands.  Will this be the final straw that changes that?  I certainly hope so.

Edited by Ryan_Vickers
moevd back my estimate of quality lol

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

10 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Such perfect timing too, this will pair nicely with the new unrecoverable MacBook SSDs.

Seriously, how to you mess this up?  Not only should it not happen but it definitely should have been caught in testing!  This is backups people, kind of an important thing to not mess with.  This is particularly sad because Time Machine was always one of the products I could point to as someone who doesn't otherwise like them or much that they do and say "this is a great product, more things should be like it".

Just the most recent in a long line of failures over the 1 - 2 years or so that I can't help but feel like never would have happened 5 years ago.  Between the hardware problems and the software problems, I have to say at this point any reputation they had as a top-tier brand focused on quality is 100% dead.  I know others will hold out for far longer but to me, it's over.  I can forgive the occasional problem since "everyone makes mistakes", but this, as you said, is just ridiculous.  I don't know what's happened to completely cripple the hardware, software, and most of all testing/QC departments, but (particularly in the case of the latter), if a story came out claiming Apple had secretly fired the entire team 2 years ago, my reply would be "oh, that explains everything".

I think we're all familiar with the kinds of recommendations (or lack thereof) Razer and certain other companies get on this forum, and frankly I feel that's for good reason, but Apple, despite a large number of people who would also (for a valid reason or not) shun them the same way, they can't "get away with it" without someone coming to their defense and making an argument out of it - something I rarely if ever see happening with many other brands.  Will this be the final straw that changes that?  I certainly hope so.

Who needs quality when you have an army ready to buy anything you release and defend every single decision and flaw 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

8 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Who needs quality when you have an army ready to buy anything you release and defend every single decision and flaw 

Yeah that's the main issue.  People aren't discerning, they just buy what they know they like without stopping to objectively reevaluate often enough (or at all in some cases).  And to be fair, to a certain extent, this happens with all companies - that's what being a fanboy is - but Apple, through their brilliant marketing and other methods, have absolutely mastered the process of generating the most numerous and most passionate following I know of.  Those are the people who will have not seen their recent failures as a serious sign of change, and rather brushed off each one after the other, not keeping score and not letting it affect their impression when it most certainly should.

The thing is, even the best marketing in the world can't rake people in like that if you don't at least have something genuine for them to latch on to.  The problem I see is whatever that was is now gone, and so sooner or later people have to wake up.  Surely...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

time machine can't back-up?  I thought thats what time machines were for ;)

I'll get my IBM 5100 out and troubleshoot this.  We knew this day would come.  John Titor tried to warn us.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah that's the main issue.  People aren't discerning, they just buy what they know they like without stopping to objectively reevaluate often enough (or at all in some cases).  And to be fair, to a certain extent, this happens with all companies - that's what being a fanboy is - but Apple, through their brilliant marketing and other methods, have absolutely mastered the process of generating the most numerous and most passionate following I know of.  Those are the people who will have not seen their recent failures as a serious sign of change, and rather brushed off each one after the other, not keeping score and not letting it affect their impression when it most certainly should.

Exactly. And as Louis points out many time: if Samsung, acer, lg, or any other brand fucked it's customer as hard or even to a lesser extent than Apple most would always go "well f you, I'm not buying from you anymore".

Wish I could make a poll and ask anyone here: who bought an lg phone that got affected by boot loops and got their next phone from lg?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

26 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I can't help but feel like never would have happened 5 years ago

It would, you just wouldn't hear about it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Exactly. And as Louis points out many time: if Samsung, acer, lg, or any other brand fucked it's customer as hard or even to a lesser extent than Apple most would always go "well f you, I'm not buying from you anymore".

Wish I could make a poll and ask anyone here: who bought an lg phone that got affected by boot loops and got their next phone from lg?

Or a Note 7 and bought another samsung.  Or got private photos texted to random contacts and bought another samsung xD

To be fair, those really are just singular events, and they have a long way to go to catch up to Apple's list, but they're pretty bad items and I would expect some people to write them off just for that as a result.  I wonder how many though...

9 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

It would, you just wouldn't hear about it.

Well I do remember a couple in particular actually - not from the news but from (nearly) personal experience.  One was that iTunes just mysteriously broke and would freeze and pin the CPU if you tried to open it.  Took them literally months to fix.  The other was that the macbook would not automatically reconnect to wifi when resuming, and you had to disable it then reenable it and then it would work.  That went on for years.

And come to think of it, they had hardware issues going back that far too didn't they... GPUs or screen hinges or something rather.  Hm... Maybe I didn't pick a large enough number lol 

I've seen people recommend using "carbon copy cloner", but it's a paid service afaik (free trial also available)

I didn't use it personally, so I can't confirm nor deny their claims.

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well I do remember a couple in particular actually - not from the news but from (nearly) personal experience.  One was that iTunes just mysteriously broke and would freeze and pin the CPU if you tried to open it.  Took them literally months to fix.  The other was that the macbook would not automatically reconnect to wifi when resuming, and you had to disable it then reenable it and then it would work.  That went on for years.

And come to think of it, they had hardware issues going back that far too didn't they... GPUs or screen hinges or something rather.  Hm... Maybe I didn't pick a large enough number lol 

I had a friend that worked for Verizon Tech Support, and what he learned is that iPhones have as many problems as some of the most problematic Android handsets.

I also have had as many software issues in the year I've been running OSX as I have running Win10 since it came out.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

15 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

As if anyone has been able to successfully get that to work. 

Even the non techie accounts at my office get that used on their personal machines. So you guys must be doing something really wrong.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

59 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Or a Note 7 and bought another samsung.  Or got private photos texted to random contacts and bought another samsung xD

To be fair, those really are just singular events, and they have a long way to go to catch up to Apple's list, but they're pretty bad items and I would expect some people to write them off just for that as a result.  I wonder how many though...

I am so glad I didnt have that issue with private stuff getting sent to contacts... cause those might be for my boyfriend ? Although I switched from Apple to Samsung and got the s9 plus before I heard about that issue

College student getting his Information Systems Degree, Furry, Gamer, Amateur Poet

Luna

Intel Core i9 7940x, Custom Water Loop, EVGA x299 Micro, 4x8 GB kit of Gskill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3000, Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti, 3 Tb's of SSD storage, 5TB HDD, 850 Watt EVGA Supernova g3, all inside a black and purple r1 from Parvum Systems

Laptops:

Anubis: Powerspec 1510 (sager NP8157)

Lucario: Razer Blade Stealth v4 (base model) this is my daily driver

I mean let's be honest this will get fixed shortly and won't be a big issue. It sucks that it happened and if anyone actually loses data that kinda blows but unless you happen to need to recover data in the time before it gets fixed it won't really be a problem.

It's not like a calculator spitting out wrong numbers, or a phone crashing because of malformed JavaScript where it will meaningfully affect people.

1 minute ago, Sniperfox47 said:

I mean let's be honest this will get fixed shortly and won't be a big issue.

But it is a big issue. Apple hasn’t even acknowledged that this is a problem. 

This isnt people not being able to charge their phone unless they tap it......it’s data that could be potentially lost. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

But it is a big issue. Apple hasn’t even acknowledged that this is a problem. 

This isnt people not being able to charge their phone unless they tap it......it’s data that could be potentially lost. 

Apple doesn't admit that things are problems. That's nothing new. It's one of a few ways they've stayed true to their roots the past few years. See "you're holding it wrong".

I mean sure. And until it gets fixed it's going to be scary for people, but maybe people can take this as a good encouragement to have not just backups but redundant backups. Automated backups are nice until something goes wrong, and while it often doesn't it's still better safe than sorry. 

I don't know. I can totally understand why people would be upset about this, but at the end of the day everyone messes up sometimes. Let's just hope they're able to make a workaround lickety split.

I mean they could be doing an update that accidentally wipes user data like a certain other competitor.

19 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

(please don't make this a dumpster fire, Lol)

*gets tourch ready*

*gets Molotov Cocktail and sets it on fire*

*throws it at thread/dumpster*

*panic ensues*

the second that someone reports a problem with either OS, people from the other one come to the other one and start mocking them and having flame wars with them (pun not intended). it's inevitable.

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

Who honestly expected Apple to admit not shift the blame and admit that Time Machine wasn't working as it should?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Who honestly expected Apple to admit not shift the blame and admit that Time Machine wasn't working as it should?

The moment they told me to insuntall Transmission I kinda wanted to tell the Technician go score off. I didn’t because I realized that he wasn’t giving me these recommendations, it was the Engineers being garbage. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)