Mini : Fractal launches Define S...2!

orbitalbuzzsaw

SOURCE https://www.hexus.net/tech/reviews/chassis/122291-fractal-design-define-s2/

"Rather than attempt to reinvent the wheel, the Define S2 is essentially the Define R6 with a couple of features removed or modified. The elongated frame measures the same 543mm (L) x 233mm (W) x 465mm (H), giving it a widened appearance, but the reversible front door has been swapped for a fixed panel, the 5.25in optical bay has fallen by the wayside, and so too has the flexible six-bay storage column. "

Seems like a nice case, cheaper alternative to the Define R6 if you don't need 5.25in bays or that weird storage thingy, tho still Enthoo Pro M masterrace

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

fractal design at its finest: instead of showing off radical ideas.. they just refined the cuboid shape.

as for the article's statement about fractal's design aesthetic showing its age.. is it not acceptable anymore to like a minimalist case design?

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

fractal design at its finest: instead of showing off radical ideas.. they just refined the cuboid shape.

as for the article's statement about fractal's design aesthetic showing its age.. is it not acceptable anymore to like a minimalist case design?

This case looks gorgeous if you ask me. If it has a competitive price point I may just opt for it.

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

I think a lot of people have gotten bored of black boxes

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

She/they 

Just now, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

It's white...

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly I am just waiting until the evolv x becomes available to buy a new case. It's sold out unfortunately. 

Also this, I've been wanting one but I'm not paying crazy high prices for it. i'll wait for more to be stocked

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly I am just waiting until the evolv x becomes available to buy a new case. It's sold out unfortunately. 

Evolv X still doesn't have the greatest airflow in the world; just get an Enthoo Pro M

She/they 

Evolv X still doesn't have the greatest airflow in the world; just get an Enthoo Pro M

The X has basically everything else I could possibly want though. I also dislike the front tempered glass panel design, just not for me

It has decent airflow because of the big side vents unlike its previous version the plain evolve. It's jam pack with great features and look great. I don't think I have seen a better looking case tbh. 

Just now, KendoSapion said:

The X has basically everything else I could possibly want though. I also dislike the front tempered glass panel design, just not for me

I dunno, I kinda dislike the look as well, not cube enough

She/they 

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

It has decent airflow because of the big side vents unlike its previous version the plain evolve. It's jam pack with great features and look great. I don't think I have seen a better looking case tbh. 

God does that front panel look idiotic though

She/they 

I dunno, I kinda dislike the look as well, not cube enough

It just seems the X has so much practicality to it, and I much prefer the look of it. I do dislike the price though

I like the looks of the front panel. I guess it's just a preference thing. 

and a lot prefer a case that doesnt look like a rocketship about to take off.

if you havent noticed yet, the outside of their cases dont even have fractal branding on them. the main purpose of a computer case is to hold your hardware and keep it supplied with fresh air. i'm not opposed to people who like their case to be extravagant, there's just also a lot of people who prefer a plain black box.

1 minute ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

I'd beg to differ, the Evolv series all have that design and many people like the look over tempered glass or standard brushed aluminium 

Just now, manikyath said:

and a lot prefer a case that doesnt look like a rocketship about to take off.

if you havent noticed yet, the outside of their cases dont even have fractal branding on them. the main purpose of a computer case is to hold your hardware and keep it supplied with fresh air. i'm not opposed to people who like their case to be extravagant, there's just also a lot of people who prefer a plain black box.

Yeah I'm on the box side, lovin my Enthoo Pro M RGB right now

She/they 

2 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

not enough box for me, i prefer my optical drive hidden, and the second 5.25" bay on my R5 has been serving well as a shelf for my sound system's remote.

3 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Just wait8ng for the evolv x to be back in stock to replace my case as I have been using the thing since my first build. It's haf 912 which isn't a bad case for a starter build but it is time for me to upgrade the old thing. 

It's about time they released this, have not idea why it took so long when there's just minor changes from the R6.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

Trends:

• Tempered Glass
  • RGB
  • Vertical PCIe Suffocation Slot

gonna wait for GN's review of this eventually, LOL

The R6 had mostly the same features and build of this and they reviewed it highly so I wouldn't expect a big difference in their review. iirc, these cases have a big enough gap the vertical gpu performance is tolerable.

Won't they release a mini itx meshify c? :(

Edited by RotoCoreOne
Autocorrect

Just now, RotoCoreOne said:

Won't they release a mini itx meshify c? :(

No because ITX is stupid

She/they 

I'm sad that most cases nowadays exclude any external 5.25 bays. In my mind it helps justify the ATX form factor for actually using all that space for something.

@Mnpctech did a nice teardown video. You'll be happy to know that the front panel is fairly modular and you can remove that brushed aluminum panel from the frame. 

The fact that the R6 exists and how modular it is makes this feel less interesting. There definitely are key differences, but in the end most users wont notice much of a difference especially with the R6 in the optional position. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25