Europe Parliament accelerating transition to Electric Cars

Jtalk4456
Message added by SansVarnic

This topic has some obvious political undertones as well as a magnet for environmental difference of opinion.

Remember to keep all commentary/replies civil and on topic. Uncivil remarks or attacks toward others will removed and the commenter warned.

Thanks

26 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

i see what you're saying, but I think just plugging it in when you get home is far more convenient than going to the gas station.

That is what I was saying ?. It's not like the petrol station comes to you or you have it at home but you do have electricity. Petrol stations are only convenient on long distance travel, short distance you have to specifically go to them typically slightly out of your normal travel route if you weren't going to one (not always ofc).

If we all had petrol readily available at our houses to fill up at our own leisure I dare say the average fuel tank would be a decent amount smaller therefore range of the vehicle.

Electric cars and the way we can and will utilize them if just different, it's a hard thing to grasp but then so was the ability to make phone calls anywhere you wanted to while you were moving during the 70's and 80's. But where is the cable? The battery only lasts 15 minutes so it's useless. Where is the phone book? You mean I have to memorize the numbers? The signal gets blocked by tall buildings and often when in side, what is the point of a cellphone?

Move forward 10 years and you'll never hear those comments and it is without question that mobile phones are not only useful and inherently accepted but also superior to the old wired phone.

At least older cars will still be appreciated and sort after by those that want them, already a thing anyway, but you don't see classic phone user enthusiasts now do we lol.

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

At least older cars will still be appreciated and sort after by those that want them, already a thing anyway, but you don't see classic phone user enthusiasts now do we lol.

Image result for new blackberry

XD

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

10 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

XD

Well I was more thinking a mixture of this:

old_telephone.jpg

plus this:

British-Motor-Trade-Association-Convention-620x264.jpg

"Ooo it's a nice sunny Sunday, lets pull out the old rotary phone and take it for a spin".

i can't believe at 14 pages it didn't make it to wan show. Now it's up to 16!

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

1 hour ago, Jtalk4456 said:

i can't believe at 14 pages it didn't make it to wan show. Now it's up to 16!

This subject is politically loaded, not exactly safe for content creators like Linus.

10 hours ago, leadeater said:

Well I was more thinking a mixture of this:

old_telephone.jpg

I know someone (last time I checked) still using a rotary phone...

8 hours ago, kokakolia said:

This subject is politically loaded, not exactly safe for content creators like Linus.

Never stopped them in the past ;)

14 hours ago, benji_ said:

i never said they are incapable, just boring and slow to charge. you dont have the control that you do in internal combustion. they are all auto afaik so its just foot-on-throttle and go.  good for the average person i guess but not for people who see cars more than just transport

well here in the uk weve got loads of petrol stations so that rarely happens. 2 mins was ofcourse an exaggeration but even 10 minutes. its alot quicker than 8 hours

Shifting is fun no doubt (and I hope they find a way of doing it), however depending on the vehicle you get, the kick from instant torque might supersede the requirement of shifting gears. That said if your experience of EV acceleration is a Leaf, go to a Tesla dealer and ask to test drive the Model 3 (or S/X, whatever they have), because ultimately we'll get to the point where grabbing a EV with such torque will be within reach of most peoples budget. Years till then? Who knows, but imagine a budget (say $20,000, about the base price of a Pony) fully EV 200 Mi range 15 minute quick charge sports car.

8 hours is threw a normal home plug, if you use anything else they range anywhere from 4 hours all the way down to 30 minutes, and not just teslas (near the end of the focus V golf video they talked about it I think, they did talk about I don't recall where tho), I still think due to the "we don't wanna" by normal car makers is actually hindering on adoption... Imagine if you could pull up in your brand new EV not made by Tesla to a supercharger and actually use it? I don't see the problem as to why they wouldn't, they sell them cheaper than Tesla and would greatly increase sales (which everyone wants, more sales more money), but nope...