DELETE , SOLVED

presss

Hi guys,

I'm not really sure how to construct my question really so that it doesn't sound stupid, but my situation is the following-> I have had plex for years, but now my new TV is right next to the PC which means I can now use the HDMI no problem. What I'm trying to achieve though is access media content which resides on my PC through an organised library of that media on the TV (movies, videos, etc.) (like the plex TV app) but then rather than streaming it over the network I want to just play whatever I select over the HDMI cable. Is that even possible or am I missing something, I'm confused :D

cheers!

i9 12900K | 3080Ti FE | 32GB T-Force 8-pack binned edition @3600 CL14

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

You mean to use the TV as a monitor? In that case use any video player :D

well yes, using it as a monitor but having a TV-friendly library that detects all my movies so I don't have to use a mouse and keyboard in bed to navigate through folders :D 

1 minute ago, Sir Michael Caine said:

well yes, using it as a monitor but having a TV-friendly library that detects all my movies so I don't have to use a mouse and keyboard in bed to navigate through folders :D 

In that case you want to still use the network and share the files on PC over LAN rather than HDMI. 

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

In that case you want to still use the network and share the files on PC over LAN rather than HDMI. 

No I don't, what I mean is being able to organize your files locally from the tv- take the Steam 'Big picture' mode as an example-> my games are still on the pc and I'm using the TV as a monitor but I can see everything and control it with a tv remote or xbox controller.

On 10/3/2018 at 5:28 AM, Sir Michael Caine said:

No I don't, what I mean is being able to organize your files locally from the tv- take the Steam 'Big picture' mode as an example-> my games are still on the pc and I'm using the TV as a monitor but I can see everything and control it with a tv remote or xbox controller.

HDMI is a video and sound interface primarily.  What your asking for is for the TV remote to be able to control a program on your PC directly that would display on your TV via HDMI.  I don't think there is anything like that in so few steps.

You can use a player on your computer that has been configured to allow control from a computer compatible remote (like a game controller), but probably not by using the TV's remote unless you can find an interface for your remote that works with your computer.  (https://www.amazon.com/Inteset-External-Infrared-Receiver-Universal/dp/B00J5NRWFO) In that case, you're still not controlling via your TV, it's just a monitor for what you're doing directly on the computer.

You could continue to use plex via the network and then switch inputs on the TV when you want to use it as an HDMI monitor.