• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OnyxArmos

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild EXTREME Lag

Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

Kakariko village and Zora Domain.

Yikes I'm so glad I don't have the Wii U version then hahahaha, I visit those places a lot more than I visit the forest

Just now, OnyxArmos said:

Yikes I'm so glad I don't have the Wii U version then hahahaha, I visit those places a lot more than I visit the forest

I know right?  especially Kakariko.  I have both versions because I had a Wii U and wasn't able to get a Switch for the longest time.  Its definitely a more than noticeable performance jump.

Just your everyday Anime Weeb Time Traveling Mad Scientist Collector

CPU: AMD Ryzen 1800X | GPU:  Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 | RAM:  32GB G Skill Flare X DDR4-2400 | PSU: EVGA 1000W GQ 80+Gold | Motherboard: Gigabyte AX370 Gaming 5| Cooler:  Noctua NH-D15 |Case:  NZXT Noctis 450 (White) | Storage: 512GB Samsung SSD + 4TB Western Digital 7200RPM|

3 hours ago, LordOTaco said:

Yeah specifically in the populated areas like Kakariko village and Zora Domain.  NSwitch performs much better in those areas.

I would certainly hope so.  Frankly the Wii U version is so bad I'd actually call it unacceptable and they needed to optimize more before even considering releasing it.  I can understand bogging down in unpredictable high-load moments like a huge explosion but just walking around in a common area should not be a problem or simply put your game is not ready for market.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I would certainly hope so.  Frankly the Wii U version is so bad I'd actually call it unacceptable and they needed to optimize more before even considering releasing it.  I can understand bogging down in unpredictable high-load moments like a huge explosion but just walking around in a common area should not be a problem or simply put your game is not ready for market.

The problem actually laid in the architecture of the Wii U's weird CPU its a Power PC tricore CPU and it just didn't have the power even though the GPU itself was actually not too bad and the Wii U was actually efficient with the limited RAM it had (even though it did have to flush the RAM and reload the game when hitting the Home menu for the Wii U version of BoTW).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 1800X | GPU:  Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 | RAM:  32GB G Skill Flare X DDR4-2400 | PSU: EVGA 1000W GQ 80+Gold | Motherboard: Gigabyte AX370 Gaming 5| Cooler:  Noctua NH-D15 |Case:  NZXT Noctis 450 (White) | Storage: 512GB Samsung SSD + 4TB Western Digital 7200RPM|

3 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

The problem actually laid in the architecture of the Wii U's weird CPU its a Power PC tricore CPU and it just didn't have the power even though the GPU itself was actually not too bad and the Wii U was actually efficient with the limited RAM it had (even though it did have to flush the RAM and reload the game when hitting the Home menu for the Wii U version of BoTW).

Yeah I noticed that too.  I know I may not be among like minds, especially in this subforum, but personally if a game can't hold a steady 60 fps, it either needs more optimization, or if that's already been pushed to the limits, it was simply too ambitious for the hardware, and I think in this case, it was definitely the latter.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah I noticed that too.  I know I may not be among like minds, especially in this subforum, but personally if a game can't hold a steady 60 fps, it either needs more optimization, or if that's already been pushed to the limits, it was simply too ambitious for the hardware, and I think in this case, it was definitely the latter.

Yeah its a pretty known thing that BoTW was just too much for the Wii U it can run but not well.  Problem was it was already in development for it as a Wii U exclusive for the longest time and was only ported to the Switch.  Essentially Nintendo had to deliver on their original commitment by the time the decision had been made to also put it on Switch.  Interesting stuff really.

6 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

Yeah its a pretty known thing that BoTW was just too much for the Wii U it can run but not well.  Problem was it was already in development for it as a Wii U exclusive for the longest time and was only ported to the Switch.  Essentially Nintendo had to deliver on their original commitment by the time the decision had been made to also put it on Switch.  Interesting stuff really.

From my perspective it's too much for the Switch as well

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Eh to each their own I'll probably have to agree to disagree on that one.  For me if its locked at 30fps on a console thats acceptable.  Now if I'm playing on PC I agree I want 60fps min. 

3 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Play it on CEMU then. With an 8700k you should have no problems hitting a locked 60 fps. Probably could do it on older unlocked cpus too with a decent overclock.

My system

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  Board: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition  GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-2400 CAS 11  SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB  HDD0: HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200RPM

HDD1: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM  HDD2: WD Black 1TB 7200RPM  CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro  PSU: Antec Neo Eco 620C

I would rather have the level of detail that Breath of the Wild has in its physics engine than the graphics and framerate of a game like Horizon Zero Dawn but where you can throw a rock against a steep hill and the rock just sticks to it...

1 hour ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Play it on CEMU then. With an 8700k you should have no problems hitting a locked 60 fps. Probably could do it on older unlocked cpus too with a decent overclock.

Interesting, I guess that's come along quite a way since I last checked

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Interesting, I guess that's come along quite a way since I last checked

Here is a setup guide:

You'll need to get a copy of BSOD Gaming's shader cache also.

My system

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  Board: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition  GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-2400 CAS 11  SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB  HDD0: HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200RPM

HDD1: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM  HDD2: WD Black 1TB 7200RPM  CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro  PSU: Antec Neo Eco 620C

20 hours ago, LordOTaco said:

For me if its locked at 30fps on a console thats acceptable. 

I totally agree with this - and the thing is, even if Breath of the Wild doesn't have the best graphics or the most stable framerate, I really appreciate its attention to detail with the physics engine

2 hours ago, OnyxArmos said:

I totally agree with this - and the thing is, even if Breath of the Wild doesn't have the best graphics or the most stable framerate, I really appreciate its attention to detail with the physics engine

Actually the draw distance is amazing given the fact that the Switch is still a portable console in the end.

22 minutes ago, Paddi01 said:

Actually the draw distance is amazing given the fact that the Switch is still a portable console in the end.

Oh yeah the draw distance is incredible ^^

1 hour ago, Paddi01 said:

Honestly the whole thing is amazing.  I never would have imagined in my wildest dreams they could pull off the things they have on the hardware they used.