Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OnyxArmos

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild EXTREME Lag

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi all,

Does anyone here have The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild? I noticed that one area of the game causes my Nintendo Switch to absolutely tank its resolution down and the FPS drops to like 18FPS, it's really really bad. The area is where you find the Master Sword, in Hyrule Woods after you go through the Lost Woods. It only happens in docked mode, try it out for yourself !

image.png.b343f3e78680f220db91db323d44c1a4.png

Kakariko Village has always tended to jump between 30 and 20fps, which makes it feel slower than it actually is.

It hits 30 more often since all the patches but ironically in some ways this makes it feel even worse when it suddenly tanks down to 20fps for no apparent reason.

I've only ever seen it on the Wii U where it runs at 30 most of the time, but dips to what I'd estimate at 15 anytime it gets "intense", such as in any city, during a battle, just randomly if you look at it the wrong way, etc.  Thank god for frame interpolation on most TVs... the periods of 15 are far more tolerable when you get a reprieve at 60 in between.

4 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Kakariko Village has always tended to jump between 30 and 20fps, which makes it feel slower than it actually is.

It hits 30 more often since all the patches but ironically in some ways this makes it feel even worse when it suddenly tanks down to 20fps for no apparent reason.

What do you think causes it to be such a bad area for it? The trees and mist?

Yeah, experienced that too when rotating the camera around.

Ryzen 5 1400 @ 3.9 Ghz  |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD
Inside some old case I found lying around.

7 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

What do you think causes it to be such a bad area for it? The trees and mist?

Lighting and transparency I think, so yeah the mist could be part of it.

You will notice a lot of Switch games avoid using alpha transparency as much as possible as its a huge hog of memory bandwidth that the shared RAM just doesn't have a lot of.

Even Xbox One/PS4 games avoid it sometimes for the same reasons and they have WAY more bandwidth.

5 minutes ago, bleedblue said:

Yeah, experienced that too when rotating the camera around.

Oof yeah it's even worse when rotating the camera, it lags for me just by entering the woods :(

10 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I've only ever seen it on the Wii U where it runs at 30 most of the time, but dips to what I'd estimate at 15 anytime it gets "intense", such as in any city, during a battle, just randomly if you look at it the wrong way, etc.  Thank god for frame interpolation on most TVs... the periods of 15 are far more tolerable when you get a reprieve at 60 in between.

YIKES I'm glad I don't have the Wii U version then :o The only place I ever experience lag is in hyrule woods on the switch version, it's kinda sad that even though the switch has dynamic resolution and lowers the resolution to 480p in intense areas, the FPS still tanks

28 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

Oof yeah it's even worse when rotating the camera, it lags for me just by entering the woods :(

YIKES I'm glad I don't have the Wii U version then :o The only place I ever experience lag is in hyrule woods on the switch version, it's kinda sad that even though the switch has dynamic resolution and lowers the resolution to 480p in intense areas, the FPS still tanks

Does it still happen when the switch is docked? I play exclusively in portable mode because I don't own a tv lol.

Ryzen 5 1400 @ 3.9 Ghz  |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Just now, bleedblue said:

Does it still happen when the switch is docked? I play exclusively in portable mode because I don't own a tv lol.

I mostly play my Switch in docked mode, and yeah everytime I go to the woods the entire thing just tanks. 😅 But yeah, portable mode is actually a lot lot lot smoother than in docked mode.

1 minute ago, OnyxArmos said:

I mostly play my Switch in docked mode, and yeah everytime I go to the woods the entire thing just tanks. 😅 But yeah, portable mode is actually a lot lot lot smoother than in docked mode.

Probably because fps is capped at 30 when portable.

Just now, bleedblue said:

Probably because fps is capped at 30 when portable.

The FPS is capped at 30 when it's docked too :( The difference is that the resolution is increased to 900p in docked mode, while it's 720p in handheld

12 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

That is very strange.  By all logic, it should only be as good, or worse when in portable mode.  Makes me wonder if it's a bug rather than an actual performance limitation.

9 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

The FPS is capped at 30 when it's docked too :( The difference is that the resolution is increased to 900p in docked mode, while it's 720p in handheld

Also didn't know that.  I had heard the Switch version ran at 60... guess that was wrong.  Lucky you are able to find 30 smooth xD  I can't say the same

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

That is very strange.  By all logic, it should only be as good, or worse when in portable mode.  Makes me wonder if it's a bug rather than an actual performance limitation.

Also didn't know that.  I had heard the Switch version ran at 60... guess that was wrong.  Lucky you are able to find 30 smooth xD  I can't say the same

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, ARMS, Super Mario Odyssey all run at 60FPS but Breath of the Wild only runs at 30 on both docked and handheld, it's a little frustrating, I really wish Nintendo would release a Nintendo Switch Pro with a better graphics card in it so that all games can run at 1080p 60fps in docked mode ^^;

3 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, ARMS, Super Mario Odyssey all run at 60FPS but Breath of the Wild only runs at 30 on both docked and handheld, it's a little frustrating, I really wish Nintendo would release a Nintendo Switch Pro with a better graphics card in it so that all games can run at 1080p 60fps in docked mode ^^;

Personally I wish they'd just release their games on Steam but that's a topic for another day xD

11 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Personally I wish they'd just release their games on Steam but that's a topic for another day xD

Yeeeahhh Imma get back to ya on that one ;)

As far as BoTW I haven't noticed too many drops or lag but I have

Just your everyday Anime Weeb Time Traveling Mad Scientist Collector

CPU: AMD Ryzen 1800X | GPU:  Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 | RAM:  32GB G Skill Flare X DDR4-2400 | PSU: EVGA 1000W GQ 80+Gold | Motherboard: Gigabyte AX370 Gaming 5| Cooler:  Noctua NH-D15 |Case:  NZXT Noctis 450 (White) | Storage: 512GB Samsung SSD + 4TB Western Digital 7200RPM|

18 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Omg yes I wish they would, but I suppose it would make their consoles obsolete

1 hour ago, OnyxArmos said:

Omg yes I wish they would, but I suppose it would make their consoles obsolete

xD oh no, we can't have that can we... 

Jokes aside, if a console can be rendered obsolete by just offering the same game on PC, it has no right to exist.

Luckily though I'd say Nintendo is better than most at making sure this isn't the case.  That's not to say a PC couldn't be made that would obsolete the switch and others, but as it stands I can't deny that there isn't one.

Well, with a PC they'd increase the Market and earn money for the games anyway. So not the worst idea.

As for the Switch: You can't play those games in a train or in a tree house somewhere...

So that would make sense...

So its not the worst idea to offer a PC version...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 10/4/2018 at 2:35 AM, Stefan Payne said:

As for the Switch: You can't play those games in a train or in a tree house somewhere...

I play my Switch on the train ;w;

On 10/3/2018 at 9:35 PM, Stefan Payne said:

So that would make sense...

I mean I've played mine on the go on trains or on a plane. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 1800X | GPU:  Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 | RAM:  32GB G Skill Flare X DDR4-2400 | PSU: EVGA 1000W GQ 80+Gold | Motherboard: Gigabyte AX370 Gaming 5| Cooler:  Noctua NH-D15 |Case:  NZXT Noctis 450 (White) | Storage: 512GB Samsung SSD + 4TB Western Digital 7200RPM|

That area in BOTW is infamous for its framerate. If you've patched that game it ought to be better than it was at launch. Luckily I don't think the Switch version fps gets hit as bad any where else.

I don't think there is precedent for Nintendo doing anything on PC. There was no precedent for mobile phone games until recently either, so eh, maybe anything is possible with Nintendo now haha

Well there is a new Nintendo Switch coming out soon so maybe just maybe it will boost performance and you can use that.  I don't know what they are improving but I saw a legit story on it the other day.  Also honestly I played BOTW on Wii U and had no issues.  Is it locked at 30 FPS?  Anyway it was a good experience for me. 

Btw the best thing I ever did with the Nintendo Switch ....

was flipping it to make some money. : )

22 minutes ago, ImNotDeViLzzz said:

Also honestly I played BOTW on Wii U and had no issues.  Is it locked at 30 FPS?  Anyway it was a good experience for me.

It is, but it struggles to maintain even that on a regular basis.  I'm glad for your sake you can't tell the difference between 15 or 20 fps and 60+, it will save you a lot of money over your life xD

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It is, but it struggles to maintain even that on a regular basis.  I'm glad for your sake you can't tell the difference between 15 or 20 fps and 60+, it will save you a lot of money over your life xD

I think it is the fact that I am used to whatever FPS since I have had consoles going back to the Odyssey 2. Heck maybe they ran at higher frame rates but I am thinking some of the consoles did not as the tvs might not have had refresh rates beyond cinematic.  LOL!  Also I do notice frame rates that actually seem too fast with certain games.  Finally like many I liked it when I had 60 FPS at 4K with darn high or max settings with games I had when using a GTX 1080 Ti so don't get me wrong I want 60 FPS but with the game you talked of I had a great experience with it at 30 FPS or whatever.

7 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah specifically in the populated areas like Kakariko village and Zora Domain.  NSwitch performs much better in those areas.