LTT Official Folding Month 2018!!!

Go to solution Solved by palespartan,

I figured I would take advantage of the fact this post hasn't been locked yet to spread the word about this years folding month.

Folding month 2019!!

See the thread for detail and don't forget to spread the word!!!

@leadeater you can now lock this one.

-Thanks

T- 5 days(or round about), Folding month 2018

Just a short update. We are now up to 32 sign ups! We had a WAN show shout out so maybe we can get a few more to come along over the next few days. Guys, if you think someone would like to be involved then spread the word to them! Tell your friends across the forum. Scheduled some downtime for tomorrow then I will be seeing just how far I can push what I have. 

P.S. don't forget to follow this thread to get updates through the event! 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

On 10/2/2018 at 11:31 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

I need to get folding again...

I took a break since it messed with my GPU drivers, but I'll probably start again. This is right about the time of year where I won't be able to do as much gaming(which is what my problem was), so I might plan on getting in on this.

Don't forget to sign up if you are going to be involved! ;)

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, Ben Quigley said:

Don't forget to sign up if you are going to be involved! ;)

Thanks for the reminder :)

I'm guessing I have to sign up before November 1st, correct?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

7 hours ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Well, I'm in. A productive way to heat my room.

Couple of questions:

1. Does displaying out to an overclocked display (X34) make a difference?

2. What parameters should I be looking at to gauge my performance?

3. I think the answer is yes since this is a computational program not gaming, but is it okay to have multiple GPUs, in my case a 980 and soon a 1080Ti, without an SLI bridge?

Thanks for interest and joining the team.

1. you should be fine but anything else you do that taxes the gpu will bring your ppd down but faster display shouldn't make a difference.

2. I personally use just the f@h panel and afterburner to figure out how I am doing (and many years experience with different systems to know roughly what performance will be)

3. Yes, it should definitely work. Sometimes there are issues with certain drivers handling multiple cards so there is a small chance you might have to roll back a couple to find one that works for your setup but that is rare. And I personally would discourage having SLI enabled or having the bridge connected for any system if your goal is F@H performance (others have had luck but you don't have SLI compatible cards anyways so it doesn't really matter.)

7 hours ago, Metallus97 said:

Yeh! Don’t OC the GPUs when F@H! It is super sensitive to that and also the risen 

power consumption would anyway not be worth it. 

CPU OC is ok, as long as voltage and temps are save 

OCing is really one of those things where so long as you don't mind doing much more intense validation (I do it the lazy way and just fold to check stability based on failed WU's or crashes.) It really can make a huge difference in your PPD. The difference between stock and OC on just my 1080ti was 1.1m PPD and 1.4m PPD but I also took a long time to find the perfect balance of an OC to make that happen on my card.

7 hours ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Interesting. A few posts back some of the mods were talking about OC their 1080.

If you go back through those posts and also check through the Folding Community Board you will find plenty of tips of what does and doesn't help when it comes to F@H overclocks.

7 hours ago, Metallus97 said:

Hmm ok I’ll back of on that: from my experience OCing AMD cards was horrible for FAH

If you aren't currently overclocked try out some really basic and stable ones to start and see the points difference it can make. But I have heard that AMD cards don't have as much to gain with OCing compared to what you can do by downclocking for power savings.

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

6 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

T- 5 days(or round about), Folding month 2018

Just a short update. We are now up to 32 sign ups! We had a WAN show shout out so maybe we can get a few more to come along over the next few days. Guys, if you think someone would like to be involved then spread the word to them! Tell your friends across the forum. Scheduled some downtime for tomorrow then I will be seeing just how far I can push what I have. 

P.S. don't forget to follow this thread to get updates through the event! 

Thanks for the updates these are actually really good. I still need to get my second rig running again (like finding a drive and install windows get running status.) But probably won't even have a chance to do that until the 30th.

5 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Thanks for the reminder :)

I'm guessing I have to sign up before November 1st, correct?

Signups are officially closing on November 6th but we cant track stats that aren't there so if you signup after the first you lost whatever you did for those days and are subject to whenever we have a chance to check and see if you signed up and record your stats starting from that moment.

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

i don't know if my hardware is even capable of scoring 100k.... 

i could set one of my Xeon's to fold, and i could throw an R9 290X into my rig for it, but i'm not sure if it could get that high of a score. 

She/Her

5 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i don't know if my hardware is even capable of scoring 100k.... 

i could set one of my Xeon's to fold, and i could throw an R9 290X into my rig for it, but i'm not sure if it could get that high of a score. 

You could get 100k over the month easy with that set up my man! 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, Ben Quigley said:

You could get 100k over the month easy with that set up my man! 

can i? even with hardware that old? 

would 2 E5620's and a gtx 1050 work too? because then i can use one of my old servers... and not run my main system 24/7. i'd rather do that because my main pc has a consumer PSU in it, where that server has proper redundant psu's designed to run 24/7...

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

would 2 E5620's and a gtx 1050 work too? because then i can use one of my old servers... and not run my main system 24/7. i'd rather do that because my main pc has a consumer PSU in it, where that server has proper redundant psu's designed to run 24/7...

Those CPUs alone should be able to pull off at least 10k a day I'd think... maybe even 2 or 3x that (combined, not each)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

I run my system 24/7 all year round, I have for years on an EVGA 850watt PSU. Never had an issue. Most power supplies will run for a long time. But yeah, that would do nicely. We set the bar low so everyone can be involved, but you should be aiming higher if possible. Whats the point in just scraping by haha. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Those CPUs alone should be able to pull off at least 10k a day I'd think... maybe even 2 or 3x that (combined, not each)

I am using 8 cores on my Ryzen and getting 30K PPD. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I could swear it estimated about 30k PPD for my 4770k but I might be misremembering, and that might have just been a really good WU.  Regardless that's roughly in the ballpark so I stand by what I said.  The 1050 could add another 100k+

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I could swear it estimated about 30k PPD for my 4770k but I might be misremembering, and that might have just been a really good WU.  Regardless that's roughly in the ballpark so I stand by what I said.  The 1050 could add another 100k+

I was purposefully being vague so no one could just come and scrap by to get the badge easy peasy tbh.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

I was purposefully being vague so no one could just come and scrap by to get the badge easy peasy tbh.

Well the WU and active days requirements forces there to be a consistent commitment over the whole month regardless of hardware so I think that is a good thing.  Certainly better than just basing it on points alone.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

ok then, i can even put an rx460 into that server as well, so i can get even more. 

2 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

I run my system 24/7 all year round, I have for years on an EVGA 850watt PSU. Never had an issue. Most power supplies will run for a long time. But yeah, that would do nicely. We set the bar low so everyone can be involved, but you should be aiming higher if possible. Whats the point in just scraping by haha. 

well, my main machine has a nice motherboard in it that i don't want to lose. i've had psu's die before and take motherboards out. the server with the e5620's is a system that i don't currently use, and one of those servers is quite cheap to buy again if it does die. 

3 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

those Xeon's are much older than ryzen though... 

would adding an rx460 as well give me even more?

She/Her

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well the WU and active days requirements forces there to be a consistent commitment over the whole month regardless of hardware so I think that is a good thing.  Certainly better than just basing it on points alone.

Yep, that's the whole reason its there :) 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, firelighter487 said:

ok then, i can even put an rx460 into that server as well, so i can get even more. 

well, my main machine has a nice motherboard in it that i don't want to lose. i've had psu's die before and take motherboards out. the server with the e5620's is a system that i don't currently use, and one of those servers is quite cheap to buy again if it does die. 

adding any card would give you more, but, Nvidia cards are usually better folders, at the expense of using more of your CPU time.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

I'm confident based on benchmarks I looked up that it could do enough to pass you on its own.  With a GPU it would be easy.

It would.  Not as much as the 1050 but probably around 2/3 as much.  Maybe half.

I'm confident based on benchmarks I looked up that it could do enough to pass you on its own.  With a GPU it would be easy.

It would.  Not as much as the 1050 but probably around 2/3 as much.  Maybe half.

so in the end it would get around 250K? around there? that would be nice.... 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

so in the end it would get around 250K? around there? that would be nice.... 

The two GPUs plus those CPUs, yeah that sounds doable.  It's rough, not just because I'm estimating but because every work unit is different - I can see anywhere from 350k to 450k PPD on my Fury depending on the WU - but it should be around that in theory.

Alternatively you could just run your 780 Ti and get about that much from just it alone...

Alternatively you could just run your 780 Ti and get about that much from just it alone...

i could, but one issue with that is that that server has no pci-e power plugs at all, so it's a lot easier just running gpu's that don't require those. 

+ i doubt i could keep it cool with a 780Ti folding in it because my room gets quite hot... 

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

i could, but one issue with that is that that server has no pci-e power plugs at all, so it's a lot easier just running gpu's that don't require those. 

+ i doubt i could keep it cool with a 780Ti folding in it because my room gets quite hot... 

Thats the issue I have, my room gets to 30C or more.... 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Thats the issue I have, my room gets to 30C or more.... 

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

Both of your locations are in the northern hemisphere... do you have a window you could open?  I would think it should be cool enough by now to keep things under control.  It certainly is here :D

Both of your locations are in the northern hemisphere... do you have a window you could open?  I would think it should be cool enough by now to keep things under control.  It certainly is here :D

The issue is then it gets too cold hahaha. My window is 2 metres tall... 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

i could open a window but then i'd have a very cold breeze in my room at night, which wouldn't be very pleasant. 

She/Her