LTT Official Folding Month 2018!!!

Go to solution Solved by palespartan,

I figured I would take advantage of the fact this post hasn't been locked yet to spread the word about this years folding month.

Folding month 2019!!

See the thread for detail and don't forget to spread the word!!!

@leadeater you can now lock this one.

-Thanks

2 minutes ago, palespartan said:

Well that deescalated quickly. Whats with the change down to just a 1080?

Shhh, I'm just pretending. ?

UPDATE: Going to change the timezone of the competition to GMT since @Ben Quigley is volunteering to do daily updates and track scores. If there is a huge uproar against this I can change it back but cant imagine there being an issue since most people should just be folding before and after the deadline anyways but if you wanted to be exact just calculate GMT vs your timezone for the start and end of the competition.  And a huge thank you to @Ben Quigley for taking this on and adding another element to this event!

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

1 minute ago, palespartan said:

UPDATE: Going to change the timezone of the competition to GMT since @Ben Quigley is volunteering to do daily updates and track scores. If there is a huge uproar against this I can change it back but cant imagine there being an issue since most people should just be folding before and after the deadline anyways but if you wanted to be exact just calculate GMT vs your timezone for the start and end of the competition.  And a huge thank you to @Ben Quigley for taking this on and adding another element to this event!

It is my pleasure, I'm not sure there will be as much to comment on as with BOINC events as you cant really hold onto WUs. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

21 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

It is my pleasure, I'm not sure there will be as much to comment on as with BOINC events as you cant really hold onto WUs. 

Instead of people being able to hold onto WU's it will let us know when someone's system crashes (will a full month of this I expect crashes). Or when someone brings home a new GPU or tries to get their CPU folding.

Folding Community Board:

4 minutes ago, palespartan said:

Instead of people being able to hold onto WU's it will let us know when someone's system crashes (will a full month of this I expect crashes). Or when someone brings home a new GPU or tries to get their CPU folding.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see if people can squeeze out for performance. I'm going to be trying to play the least intensive games on stream as possible to help keep my scores up.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Yeah, it will be interesting to see if people can squeeze out for performance. I'm going to be trying to play the least intensive games on stream as possible to help keep my scores up.

For me it will be to remember to turn my folding OC on when not gaming (and turn it off when gaming) Oddly enough I have a higher OC for folding than can maintain in Fortnite or rocket league.

Also as a bit of advice for anyone else out there on a pascal gpu it looks to me like mem overclocking helped my scores so don't sleep on the memory.

Folding Community Board:

17 minutes ago, palespartan said:

For me it will be to remember to turn my folding OC on when not gaming (and turn it off when gaming) Oddly enough I have a higher OC for folding than can maintain in Fortnite or rocket league.

Also as a bit of advice for anyone else out there on a pascal gpu it looks to me like mem overclocking helped my scores so don't sleep on the memory.

If you remember it's thanks to me that you know about mem overclocking for F@H ;)

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, Ben Quigley said:

If you remember it's thanks to me that you know about mem overclocking for F@H ;)

Lol. My bad. Credit definitely due to you on that one. I totally forgot about that.

Folding Community Board:

59 minutes ago, palespartan said:

Lol. My bad. Credit definitely due to you on that one. I totally forgot about that.

Tbh I discovered it accidentally when OCing my venerable Vega 64

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

5 hours ago, palespartan said:

Yea, I never ordered pads or replaced my 1070 after the whole thermal issue, because I'm lazy... So no OCing for me :P Unless I buy 3 more fans ?

It's a shame you cant work on 1 WU for all GPUs...

4 hours ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

Paused the Boinc-client and activated F@H-client again to help out for the upcoming month ?

Dual Xeon E5-2670 and a 1060 at your service ?

Folding month is November btw, don't forget to sign up in the sigh up form! 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just edited the original post to let everyone know that badges will be given to those who participate!

Folding Community Board:

When I got my Fury I was hyped to go hard on this and even (surprisingly to me) scrape the top 10 producers list (on the LTT team), but due to power consumption cost I had to stop.  That was quite a while ago and I want to get back into this, but I need to do it efficiently.  Luckily I think that should be possible... after doing some tests, I have these results:

• CPU folding: ~35k PPD at ~90 W
  • GPU folding, full OC: ~350k - 450k PPD at ~250 W
  • GPU folding, limited: ~300k - 350k PPD at ~150 W

It was fairly obvious what setup I need to run after seeing this.  GPU only, power limited to 150 W

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 10/5/2018 at 3:43 PM, Ben Quigley said:

What about memory overclocking for F@H?

Also I just officially signed up!

My rig is back to folding agian as well. Was BOINCing for a while but starting today until the end of the year my rig will be 24/7.

I noticed the team scores have been dropping so this cant be ignored we fell back a few places this year.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

9 hours ago, imreloadin said:

What about memory overclocking for F@H?

Also I just officially signed up!

GPU memory. Test it first but higher v-ram speeds will definitely add to folding production. And with Nvidia cards folding is read as a different kind of workload so most cards will go into a different power state and usually have a lower mem clock so make sure when you are testing you do so wile folding.

8 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

My rig is back to folding agian as well. Was BOINCing for a while but starting today until the end of the year my rig will be 24/7.

I noticed the team scores have been dropping so this cant be ignored we fell back a few places this year.

Awesome! That will definitely be a nice boost to the team.

23 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

When I got my Fury I was hyped to go hard on this and even (surprisingly to me) scrape the top 10 producers list (on the LTT team), but due to power consumption cost I had to stop.  That was quite a while ago and I want to get back into this, but I need to do it efficiently.  Luckily I think that should be possible... after doing some tests, I have these results:

• CPU folding: ~35k PPD at ~90 W
  • GPU folding, full OC: ~400k PPD at ~250 W
  • GPU folding, limited: ~85% of full performance at ~150 W

It was fairly obvious what setup I need to run after seeing this.  GPU only, power limited to 150 W

That is a huge drop in wattage for only a 15% drop in performance.

Folding Community Board:

9 minutes ago, palespartan said:

GPU memory. Test it first but higher v-ram speeds will definitely add to folding production. And with Nvidia cards folding is read as a different kind of workload so most cards will go into a different power state and usually have a lower mem clock so make sure when you are testing you do so wile folding.

Ahh gotcha, yeah I'm running +500 on my 1080 Ti in Afterburner xD

13 hours ago, imreloadin said:

Ahh gotcha, yeah I'm running +500 on my 1080 Ti in Afterburner xD

nice. Just remember to turn that off when you go back to gaming since there is a huge difference between running 5500mhz and 6200mhz. (I have crashed so many times because of this.)

Folding Community Board:

10 minutes ago, palespartan said:

nice. Just remember to turn that off when you go back to gaming since there is a huge difference between running 5500mhz and 6200mhz. (I have crashed so many times because of this.)

I must be lucky because the +500 is stable in games too lol. Guess that means that I could push it a little further in folding though...

7 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

I must be lucky because the +500 is stable in games too lol. Guess that means that I could push it a little further in folding though...

Don't just look at the offset. Make sure you know how many mhz its actually running at. That is the important part.

Folding Community Board:

9 minutes ago, palespartan said:

Don't just look at the offset. Make sure you know how many mhz its actually running at. That is the important part.

Do you know how different cards are affected?  I used to run my Fury with mem at a ~10% OC because it took it without having to boost any voltages or anything, but it's a pain to do and recently I haven't even been able to make it happen.  During my reading trying to figure out how to make it work, I came across discussions where some people claimed the card has excess memory bandwidth and would not benefit from more, but other people said they had seen tests where it helped, and my own experiments with mining would seem to confirm that.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

17 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Do you know how different cards are affected?  I used to run my Fury with mem at a ~10% OC because it took it without having to boost any voltages or anything, but it's a pain to do and recently I haven't even been able to make it happen.  During my reading trying to figure out how to make it work, I came across discussions where some people claimed the card has excess memory bandwidth and would not benefit from more, but other people said they had seen tests where it helped, and my own experiments with mining would seem to confirm that.

Mining is definitely totally different since it loads everything onto the v-ram and runs the gpu almost completely independently the more memory bandwidth the better. Folding is different but I think maybe HBM is fast enough on its own to match the power of the gpu itself. but there's still plenty of time before November to play around and see how it does.

Folding Community Board:

Just now, palespartan said:

Mining is definitely totally different since it loads everything onto the v-ram and runs the gpu almost completely independently the more memory bandwidth the better. Folding is different but I think maybe HBM is fast enough on its own to match the power of the gpu itself. but there's still plenty of time before November to play around and see how it does.

Well the issue is memory overclocking on these cards seems to be heavily locked down.  At first it was just difficult but now it just doesn't work at all