Windows 10 October 2018 Update - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!

GoodBytes
9 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Wasn't that to view the content stored in the clipboard, and not have a history that you can go back to to paste now and sync to other computers?

It does have a history, where you can go back and repaste what you have copied before. I used it plenty of time during the xp days. But it does not do sync.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

14 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Homegroup has been removed in the last version of Windows 10.

I don't know what you mean by "workgroup".

That's what I thought but I was reprompted about its removal after this update so I automatically thought my memory was incorrect and they removed workgroups back then.

Workgroups and homegroups can be viewed similarly in terms of what they do, but they're are different in their capabilities and what types of systems can access and share resources.  Or were since apparently neither are a thing any longer for my Win10Home machine.  1st time I've used a home edition OS(unless 3.1 was considered home) and the last.  Way too hampered and or too much I've no explicate control over an have to take on faith.  Can't imagine RT/EDU versions if this is how toothless home versions are when this win10Home is a step shy of being a chromebook now.

Anyways, gonna have to figure something out for the home newtwork as without workgroups, homegroups or SMB I can't seem use any non-windows machines.(NAS)

update looks fun, and am looking forward to playing around with it.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

Ms has blocked the update for intel 6th gen and newer. The reason is some intel hd audio is causing problems. Intel has released a update on that fix. 

I update 2 of my intel 8th gen pcs to 1809 and no problems whats so ever. Where the hell do some of these users get their problems from?!

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

WARNING!!

There are many reports going around of people losing all non-OneDrive documents/pictures/etc.

I would HIGHLY advise not upgrading unless you have everything backed up.

I thankfully have all my stuff backed up but everything disappeared from my non-OneDrive account folders after the upgrade.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

20 minutes ago, Lurick said:

If no back up drive just move it to anywhere else would be a good alternative too.

On 10/3/2018 at 3:36 PM, RejZoR said:

For some dumb reason, my AMD laptop isn't getting the update while two Intel ones did. Come on...

My Ryzen 7 2700U laptop got it the same day as my i7-8700K system did. It's probably your particular model, and nothing to do with AMD/Intel.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

Did they halt the rollout? Even manually checking for upgrade isn't yielding anything on any of my machines anymore.

12 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Did they halt the rollout? Even manually checking for upgrade isn't yielding anything on any of my machines anymore.

Considering this:

5 hours ago, Lurick said:

WARNING!!

There are many reports going around of people losing all non-OneDrive documents/pictures/etc.

I thankfully have all my stuff backed up but everything disappeared from my non-OneDrive account folders after the upgrade.

I would certainly hope so.  This is arguably worse than the recent issues Apple had with Time Machine

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

• 1 year later...

Windows Defender is now called Windows Security

@GoodBytes funny a this was originally called that back in its infancy. I bought the first edition that came out, cost me about $50 USD.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

7 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

@GoodBytes funny a this was originally called that back in its infancy. I bought the first edition that came out, cost me about $50 USD.

Almost. It was initially called: Microsoft AntiSpyware after they acquired the software "GIANT AntiSpyware", of course it has evolved massively, including rewrites, since.

19 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Almost. It was initially called: Microsoft AntiSpyware after they acquired the software "GIANT AntiSpyware", of course it has evolved massively, including rewrites, since.

hmm I could be recalling incorrectly, Ill have to look, but I swear the box had Security on it. /shrug.

*edit

Yeah, yeah, I had to look it up,

See the source image

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

hmm I could be recalling incorrectly, Ill have to look, but I swear the box had Security on it. /shrug.

*edit

Yeah, yeah, I had to look it up,

Ok Correction. Windows Live OneCare 

Here is the evolution of events (if I recall correctly):

1. Microsoft AntiSpyware (2005) - Was free at the time for Windows 2000 and XP users, but only detected spyware and select well known malware. It didn't feature anything over GIANT original software.
  2. Microsoft Defender (2006) - They rewritten it (from VB to C++), dropped support for Win2000 and added Vista. It was free, and later it was built-in Win7 an 8.
  3. Windows Live OneCare (2005) - This was Microsoft anti-virus This used to be $50 US software
  4. Microsoft Security Essential (2009 - with Win7 release) - Anti-virus got much better and was now free. Supported XP, 7 and later 8.
  5. Windows Defender (2012 - built-in into Windows 8) - Spyware only. Had to install Microsoft Security Essential for anti-virus. By then MSE acquired very basic malware detection.
  6. Windows Defender (2015 - with Windows 10) - Merging of Windows Defender with Security Essential occurred, and over the years improved anti-virus and malware detection (still far away from Malwarebytes on that last front).
  7. Renamed to: Windows Security

13 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

<snip>

/facepalm

Yes Live OneCare, I feel stupid now. Thats right, Security Essentials is when it became free and I was promoting it like crazy and thats why I remember it that way.

Thanks.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER