Windows 10 October 2018 Update - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!

GoodBytes
Just now, Bouzoo said:

So... Task Manager is broken?

The difference can be quite more dramatic, like in some games it shows 2% usage for game, CPU total only 22%?

All depends on the refresh of information, and refreshing the information cost performance, increasing CPU usage. And depending on what you poll this varies.

6 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

All depends on the refresh of information, and refreshing the information cost performance, increasing CPU usage. And depending on what you poll this varies.

I am talking stuff like this. image.thumb.png.69b4b627ecddf673df5983aa38bc4b71.png

This never happened before. Couple of buddies are reporting the same thing. Process explorer is showing lower usage, but even when they are the same, nothing is above few % in Task Manager while both are reporting 60% of total usage. It's not whosing process usages correctly. 

Same thing for SSD. Disk Defrag is from experience doing the whole usage, yet it shows it at 0,2 MB/s.

image.thumb.png.08c0fd1ee02a70a93cc080a61744657f.png

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Can you please tell me how to get back the new volume mixer which i saw a video of last year where it works like the old volume mixer ?   

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Ah yes. Yes, a fix is coming, apparently, as Gabriel mentioned. Probably will be part of a Cumulative Update.

But post on the Feedback Hub, it will escalate the priority and get it faster.

13 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

Can you please tell me how to get back the new volume mixer which i saw a video of last year where it works like the old volume mixer ?   

I don't know what video you saw. I don't know if it was concept video, MS video showing where they want to bring the OS to in terms of GUI, or something else.

I mean it is obvious the old mixer will get replaced with the Windows 10 Fluent Design look, but nothing is officially released now.

But if you mean this:

ear-trumpet.png

This is a third party app called Ear Trumpet.

37 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I don't know what video you saw. I don't know if it was concept video, MS video showing where they want to bring the OS to in terms of GUI, or something else.

I mean it is obvious the old mixer will get replaced with the Windows 10 Fluent Design look, but nothing is officially released now.

But if you mean this:

ear-trumpet.png

This is a third party app called Ear Trumpet.

yeah it's exactly like that only when you click on the sound icon, that opens up natively, i saw that in an update video, never came to my OS build, as you said, it never came or they ditched it 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

1 hour ago, Bouzoo said:

I am talking stuff like this.

This never happened before. Couple of buddies are reporting the same thing. Process explorer is showing lower usage, but even when they are the same, nothing is above few % in Task Manager while both are reporting 60% of total usage. It's not whosing process usages correctly. 

Same thing for SSD. Disk Defrag is from experience doing the whole usage, yet it shows it at 0,2 MB/s.

Yup, looks like a fix is coming:
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/10/03/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-18252/

General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC

• We fixed the issue causing Task Manager to report inaccurate CPU usage.

Not sure if MS will make you wait for the next version of Windows 10, or release it as a fix via cumulative update for this new version.

In short more telemetry.

And obviously Dark Explorer looks like shit and hurts my eyes, not even the hacked themes you find on deviantart dont look so bad, in fact they are awesome. 4 years+ in the making and thats all they can do for Explorer lol, and what happened to multiple tabs in explorer, or side by side tabs in a single explorer window? wait 4 more years for that.

How explorer should look like

https://www.deviantart.com/metroversal/art/Windows-10-Dark-Theme-515479771

I just keep it on light theme cause its a joke by MS.

For some dumb reason, my AMD laptop isn't getting the update while two Intel ones did. Come on...

Have it installed, all great, really love the File Explorer Dark Theme finally it's here! Good that it's more of a polish kind of update than just features that I may not use. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Group home remove with this update...  Workgroups removed with the previous...

F*$%#$ HELL!  Left for 2mins to make a coffee and the blasted thing logged me out or rebooted and it wasn't due to an update.  The hell.  Seems there's some decrapifying and re-training the pewder to be done post update.

19 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Group home remove with this update...  Workgroups removed with the previous...

Homegroup has been removed in the last version of Windows 10.

I don't know what you mean by "workgroup".

4 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

So... Task Manager is broken?

image.thumb.png.33c3462a6277495576c1e771a74b71d0.png

The difference can be quite more dramatic, like in some games it shows 2% usage for game, CPU total only 22%?

Are you using Kaspersky free antivirus? 

The evil spirit update that infects the first computer when the second computer updates... ?

Screenshot (355).png

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

For anyone that would like to make sure their Windows OS doesn't start randomly downloading this update, there are a bunch of methods to disable Windows Update in this post:

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

23 minutes ago, DaPhuc said:

Are you using Kaspersky free antivirus? 

Not free, using Internet Security as well as MBAM Premium. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 hour ago, Bouzoo said:

Not free, using Internet Security as well as MBAM Premium. 

You don't need MBAM real time bro. Kaspersky is enough. 

Clipboard history is ancient tech that got removed from 7,8,8.1, and 10 pre 1803. It was part of win98 I think, called clipboard viewer. XP had it too and to open, it's start, run, clipbrd.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

Clipboard history is ancient tech that got removed from 7,8,8.1, and 10 pre 1803. It was part of win98 I think, called clipboard viewer. XP had it too and to open, it's start, run, clipbrd.

Wasn't that to view the content stored in the clipboard, and not have a history that you can go back to to paste now and sync to other computers?

The only feature I'm somewhat interested in, is the multi-content Clipboard.  As for auto-correct, I'm just glad it's disabled by default.  It's one of the first things I turn off on my phone, and in any word processor I use.  I want to decide what words I type, not the computer.

In any event, I should send a thank you to Microsoft.  I work in the computer repair field, and I'm sure my days are about to get a fair bit busier over the next week or two.  Kaching! 

On 10/2/2018 at 6:00 PM, Rune said:

Sure wish windows update wasn't broken and I could get any updates past 3 months ago.

Sounds like you have a broken computer.  I suggest you head down to your nearest MicroCenter and build a new one. :D

Thank you so much for providing such a useful information. Now a days everyone is shifting to dark theme. Dark theme is much more attractive than light theme. 

1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

Sounds like you have a broken computer.  I suggest you head down to your nearest MicroCenter and build a new one. :D

oh u.jpg

Edit: I will be picking up a 9900k and a board when those launch so you know what I might ?

lock your children, run for the hills another big update from Microsoft, may God help us all. Bugs incoming.

Time to put a 30 day extension on updates.

Great, getting black display after signing into Windows on my HP X2 hybrid netbook. Everything is running, I just don't see anything. And after 10 minutes, desktop appears with Start button that doesn't respond to a click. Works fine in Safe mode. God I hate this shit.

why is the printscreen option listed under edge? i glanced over it the first time because i couldn't care less about edge.

But the printscreen is a lifesaver in my day to day use.