Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GoodBytes

Windows 10 October 2018 Update - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!

How is it 2018 and updating to a new release of Windows 10 still requires you to reboot and spend 10 minutes offline patching your system?

I guess I'm a filthy casual by this point but I've been super spoiled by A/B partitioning schemes and live system patching. It would be really great if we could see some of these modern conveniences come to Windows.

Does MacOS/iOS require an offline patching period after major updates? I know every major OS other than those three has it but I'm not sure about MacOS/iOS.

51 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

How is it 2018 and updating to a new release of Windows 10 still requires you to reboot and spend 10 minutes offline patching your system?

Does MacOS/iOS require an offline patching period after major updates? 

Yup, both still have offline patching.

Welp... 

20181003_125530.jpg

Please tag me if you need assistance or if you want me to contribute to a topic 

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5

9 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

image.png.d0c3375c9dbe3d774f30c4e2d337c705.png

First they take our calculators, then snipping tools! What next? The Control Panel to be replaced with the abomination they call "The Settings App"?

Snagit

It's not free but it's awesome and way superior

Spoiler

Fractal Define R4, Fractal Silent Series R2 fan x3, BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 2Super Flower Golden Green 550W Gold, Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H, Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9Intel i7 4770k 4.6GHz OC, EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3 OC 2038MHz Core/12400MHz VRAMEizo Foris FS2333 60Hz 1080p, AOC AG271QG 165Hz+G-Sync 1440p, CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate, Logitech G502 Spectrum, Steam Controler, Sennheiser HD600, S.M.S.L M6 Mini DAC, Blue Yeti (black) microphone, Huawei Mate 8 phone.

44 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Photoshop

open file > ctrl+a > ctrl+i > save as

edit:

Or

{

Theme: Dark

If Dark = yes

then white = black

}

Is this pseudo code or a real script they used to implement it? 

Btw I’m not being a fanboy of Apple here, both of them introduced dark mode. Why not grey mode or even light magenta mode? Life isn’t black and white guys come on

5 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Wow, it feels like just a month ago we were getting 1803.  Time to run for the hills again I guess xD

Honestly looks like a lot of stuff that, while I very much appreciate, I can't be too happy about since it should have been added 10 or 20 years ago.

Yeah, unix LF support is something that should have been added decades ago :/

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Samson SR 850 | Logitech G502

35 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Btw I’m not being a fanboy of Apple here, both of them introduced dark mode. Why not grey mode or even light magenta mode? Life isn’t black and white guys come on

oh it's absolutely fake, i dont know how to code for shit XD

i would prefer to be able to be tied to the theme color picker at least

image.png.7ce0e53d95dfe7f9cb1c97d88060657e.png

this thing

12 hours ago, NowakVulpix said:

...oh no.

this is also a thing in Safari and some other apps (not sure which one's) on macOS, and for me it works quite nicely. I miss this feature on Windows. 

DISCLAIMER: ANYTHING I SAY COULD BE WRONG. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH! 

Have a look at my set up your linux gaming pc from start to finish topic if you want to get started with linux :) 

My laptop: MacBook Pro 15" Late 2011 (dGPU disabled): I7 2675QM | HD3000 | 1TB SSD | 16GB RAM | macOS

Snipping tool replaced with UWP app? OH BOY, can't wait to launch it and then it gets stuck on app icon screen. Then you force close couple times till it actually opens.
oh wait It was faster using Print Screen and old paint .

Is UWP apps superior in any aspect to a regular ones? 

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: i5 4460 GPU: R9 270

50 minutes ago, JuztBe said:

Is UWP apps superior in any aspect to a regular ones? 

in my opinion no. I don't use any UWP apps for that reason... the interface is just inconsistent and they introduce extra steps for a lot for things. 

Have a look at my set up your linux gaming pc from start to finish topic if you want to get started with linux :) 

My laptop: MacBook Pro 15" Late 2011 (dGPU disabled): I7 2675QM | HD3000 | 1TB SSD | 16GB RAM | macOS

Installed the update this morning, after closing the computer yesterday... Everything looked fine at first glance, it didn't change my privacy settings too much, expect for the new stuff I could configure on first boot.

Then I opened the start menu and it refuse to gtfo. It just stayed there, unmoving... and covering everything...

It took a long 3 minutes for windows to realize I didn't want anything to do that with that startmenu to finally get it out of my life, regardless of where I was clicking on the screen.

CPU: Intel Core i7 875k / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB  / RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GBx2 DDR3-1600
MOBO: ASUS P7P55D-e LX / SSD: Intel 520 120GB / Case: Cooler Master HAF912 / PSU: Corsair TX850w / OS: Windows 10 Pro

Dark Theme File Explorer

That's neat. I won't use it for now though. If it's not fully done, and some things still use white backgrounds then it will be very jarring and look bad. I'll wait for it to be completely done before enabling it.

Your Phone

I read the Verge article and it seems like the app mirroring will not be available until a later date. Here is the quote:

It’s starting with the mirroring of the Android stock texting and photos apps and iPhone webpage transfer, with more fully featured Android app support coming at a later, unannounced date.

Since this is Microsoft we're talking about I am a bit worried that it might scrape my device for personal info, so I'd rather go for an open source alternative (which already exists) like scrcpy.

DirectX 12 - Raytracing

Neat I guess. I don't really care for it now but it's nice that support is starting to get in place for future use.

Clipboard History

That's really good. I might uninstall Ditto now. Hopefully it has some of the DItto features too, like being able to delete specific old clips you might not want on the clipboard for others to see (like passwords).

Clipboard sync across your Windows devices

Ohh boy... Even if it's disabled by default I feel like I have to monitor my network activity to make sure it actually does't send all my copied things back to Microsoft.

I can see why some people might want this, but it scares me.

Updated Game Bar

Does anyone even use that?

Onscreen keyboard now supports swiping

I thought this already was a thing. I mean, Microsoft bought SwiftKey 2.5 years ago. You'd think that they would be in a bit more hurry to integrate it. Not something I'll end up using but for those people who has a Windows 10 machine and use the onscreen keyboard it's probably a great improvements.

Snip & Sketch

Oh for fuck sake... Why is Microsoft going in and ruining perfectly good programs? It's like when they started replacing Paint with Paint 3D. More features is not always better. I want the snipping tool to do one thing and one thing only, let me save a part of my screen as a picture. Hell, I even think the drawing tools, email option and all that stuff is overkill in the current program. Just give me something simple.

Storage Sense Improvements

Don't use it so I don't really care.

Auto-Correct for Physical keyboard

Gonna have to try this out. It might be fantastic, or it might be horrible.

Typing Insights

Let me guess. This AI is located in the cloud so Microsoft has to collect everything you're typing to analyze it. Correct? No thanks.

Start Menu Search Experience Improvements

Might be neat. I very rarely click in the search field though. I usually just type a few letters and press enter.

Notepad and Edge improvements

Don't care since I don't use either. I use Notepad++ and Firefox instead.

Further improvement and implementation of the Fluent Design langues in the OS. This is still not done, Microsoft is continuing to work on this.

Microsoft really needs to get their act together when it comes to UI consistency. There was some screenshot posted on Reddit a few days ago where it showed how in Windows 10, you still got XP UI elements being used in some places, Vista things in some places, Windows 8 in other places, and then even a mix of different stages of Windows 10 elements. I get that Windows is big and has lots of stuff in it, but just hire someone and give them a week to look through everything and note down all the UI inconsistencies. Or better yet, ask the community for help.

With the above, you can also now rename input and output sourced of the system: Ability to rename Sound inputs and outputs (Settings > Devices > Sound > Device Properties) 

If that means what I think it means, then that's fantastic. A really good improvement.

You can now install Font without administrator privileges.

Hmm... Windows have had major security issues with fonts before (somehow). Hopefully they have tested this from a security standpoint.

Battery status on supported Bluetooth devices displayed in “Bluetooth & other devices” section under the Settings panel. 

That's really good.

Settings panel shows suggestions on the right side pane. Can be disabled in Settings > Privacy > General. 

I think it is a really bad sign when I now react to "suggestions" with disgust because I associate it with ads.

Are these "suggestions" in the settings panel legitimate suggestions, or are they ads?

Since it's apparently a privacy feature to turn it off, my guess is that it's ads.

@LAwLz I agree with everything you said.

16 hours ago, GoodBytes said:
  • Dark Theme File Explorer
    File Explorer now support Dark theme. If you set your color option from Light to Dark, File Explorer will now be dark. Not every panel will change to Dark theme yet, so if you open some panels and they show white, then it’s not broken. It is coming later.
    1411167860_darktheme.PNG.30a9da1be723702cf60d81a4d2222eca.PNG

Now if only they gave us dark theme Office apps (Specifically outlook because thats what my company uses) Gray theme is about as good as I've got right now

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Cadence

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage 1x Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M      Cooling Cryorig H7

16 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Ability to name and rename folders in the live tile section of the Start Menu.

but... we can already do this. This has been out since i got win 10

Installed on my desktop (custom built in 2015) and Surface Pro 4. Things feels a tad snappier on both systems and it didn't recent the vast majority of my settings during the upgrade process. The new Office UI, which is tied to 1809 (I think?) is only available on my desktop though and I've still got the old Ribbon UI on my SP4. I've got Office 365 University and I'm using the latest monthly update of Microsoft Office 64-bit on both systems.

Everytime I hit my funny bone unexpectedly it's like my own personal Pearl Harbour.

Don't call it a grave, it's the future you chose.

Project JAPC Build Log

5 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

did some one say magenta??? 

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080 | PSU: EVGA SuperNova NEX650 Gold | Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 - 3066 (Oc) 16GB | OS Drive: Crucial MX 300 275 GB | Game Drive: Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Asus z170-a | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window) | Monitor: Acer R240HY | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Zelotes 7200 DPI

29 minutes ago, Arika S said:

They do? We use office 2016 at work and it has a black theme

:( 

image.png.0071986b1eb1d682b5ac529c2d8832d4.png

image.png.daa0027787546206f415dfca043b9911.png

Edit* apparently this is a Office 365 subscription thing only, and even them sometimes it doesnt work

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_other-mso_win10-mso_o365b/black-theme-unavailable-in-office-2016/58f43278-ce14-4ea3-b6d8-19898a7a0acb

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Cadence

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage 1x Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M      Cooling Cryorig H7