Windows 10 October 2018 Update - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!

GoodBytes

Welp... 

20181003_125530.jpg

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

5 hours ago, Arika S said:

Meaning you no longer need third party theme software to change the look of the file explorer

Seems like a kind of lazy upgrade that’s now a feature

3 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Seems like a kind of lazy upgrade that’s now a feature

Photoshop

open file > ctrl+a > ctrl+i > save as

edit:

Or

{

Theme: Dark

If Dark = yes

then white = black

}

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

9 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

image.png.d0c3375c9dbe3d774f30c4e2d337c705.png

First they take our calculators, then snipping tools! What next? The Control Panel to be replaced with the abomination they call "The Settings App"?

Snagit

It's not free but it's awesome and way superior

44 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Photoshop

open file > ctrl+a > ctrl+i > save as

edit:

Or

{

Theme: Dark

If Dark = yes

then white = black

}

Is this pseudo code or a real script they used to implement it? 

Btw I’m not being a fanboy of Apple here, both of them introduced dark mode. Why not grey mode or even light magenta mode? Life isn’t black and white guys come on

5 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Wow, it feels like just a month ago we were getting 1803.  Time to run for the hills again I guess xD

Honestly looks like a lot of stuff that, while I very much appreciate, I can't be too happy about since it should have been added 10 or 20 years ago.

Yeah, unix LF support is something that should have been added decades ago :/

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

35 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Btw I’m not being a fanboy of Apple here, both of them introduced dark mode. Why not grey mode or even light magenta mode? Life isn’t black and white guys come on

oh it's absolutely fake, i dont know how to code for shit XD

i would prefer to be able to be tied to the theme color picker at least

image.png.7ce0e53d95dfe7f9cb1c97d88060657e.png

this thing

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

12 hours ago, NowakVulpix said:

...oh no.

this is also a thing in Safari and some other apps (not sure which one's) on macOS, and for me it works quite nicely. I miss this feature on Windows. 

She/Her

Snipping tool replaced with UWP app? OH BOY, can't wait to launch it and then it gets stuck on app icon screen. Then you force close couple times till it actually opens.
oh wait It was faster using Print Screen and old paint .

Is UWP apps superior in any aspect to a regular ones? 

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

50 minutes ago, JuztBe said:

Is UWP apps superior in any aspect to a regular ones? 

in my opinion no. I don't use any UWP apps for that reason... the interface is just inconsistent and they introduce extra steps for a lot for things. 

She/Her

Installed the update this morning, after closing the computer yesterday... Everything looked fine at first glance, it didn't change my privacy settings too much, expect for the new stuff I could configure on first boot.

Then I opened the start menu and it refuse to gtfo. It just stayed there, unmoving... and covering everything...

It took a long 3 minutes for windows to realize I didn't want anything to do that with that startmenu to finally get it out of my life, regardless of where I was clicking on the screen.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Dark Theme File Explorer

That's neat. I won't use it for now though. If it's not fully done, and some things still use white backgrounds then it will be very jarring and look bad. I'll wait for it to be completely done before enabling it.

Your Phone

I read the Verge article and it seems like the app mirroring will not be available until a later date. Here is the quote:

It’s starting with the mirroring of the Android stock texting and photos apps and iPhone webpage transfer, with more fully featured Android app support coming at a later, unannounced date.

Since this is Microsoft we're talking about I am a bit worried that it might scrape my device for personal info, so I'd rather go for an open source alternative (which already exists) like scrcpy.

DirectX 12 - Raytracing

Neat I guess. I don't really care for it now but it's nice that support is starting to get in place for future use.

Clipboard History

That's really good. I might uninstall Ditto now. Hopefully it has some of the DItto features too, like being able to delete specific old clips you might not want on the clipboard for others to see (like passwords).

Clipboard sync across your Windows devices

Ohh boy... Even if it's disabled by default I feel like I have to monitor my network activity to make sure it actually does't send all my copied things back to Microsoft.

I can see why some people might want this, but it scares me.

Updated Game Bar

Does anyone even use that?

Onscreen keyboard now supports swiping

I thought this already was a thing. I mean, Microsoft bought SwiftKey 2.5 years ago. You'd think that they would be in a bit more hurry to integrate it. Not something I'll end up using but for those people who has a Windows 10 machine and use the onscreen keyboard it's probably a great improvements.

Snip & Sketch

Oh for fuck sake... Why is Microsoft going in and ruining perfectly good programs? It's like when they started replacing Paint with Paint 3D. More features is not always better. I want the snipping tool to do one thing and one thing only, let me save a part of my screen as a picture. Hell, I even think the drawing tools, email option and all that stuff is overkill in the current program. Just give me something simple.

Storage Sense Improvements

Don't use it so I don't really care.

Auto-Correct for Physical keyboard

Gonna have to try this out. It might be fantastic, or it might be horrible.

Typing Insights

Let me guess. This AI is located in the cloud so Microsoft has to collect everything you're typing to analyze it. Correct? No thanks.

Start Menu Search Experience Improvements

Might be neat. I very rarely click in the search field though. I usually just type a few letters and press enter.

Notepad and Edge improvements

Don't care since I don't use either. I use Notepad++ and Firefox instead.

Further improvement and implementation of the Fluent Design langues in the OS. This is still not done, Microsoft is continuing to work on this.

Microsoft really needs to get their act together when it comes to UI consistency. There was some screenshot posted on Reddit a few days ago where it showed how in Windows 10, you still got XP UI elements being used in some places, Vista things in some places, Windows 8 in other places, and then even a mix of different stages of Windows 10 elements. I get that Windows is big and has lots of stuff in it, but just hire someone and give them a week to look through everything and note down all the UI inconsistencies. Or better yet, ask the community for help.

With the above, you can also now rename input and output sourced of the system: Ability to rename Sound inputs and outputs (Settings > Devices > Sound > Device Properties) 

If that means what I think it means, then that's fantastic. A really good improvement.

You can now install Font without administrator privileges.

Hmm... Windows have had major security issues with fonts before (somehow). Hopefully they have tested this from a security standpoint.

Battery status on supported Bluetooth devices displayed in “Bluetooth & other devices” section under the Settings panel. 

That's really good.

Settings panel shows suggestions on the right side pane. Can be disabled in Settings > Privacy > General. 

I think it is a really bad sign when I now react to "suggestions" with disgust because I associate it with ads.

Are these "suggestions" in the settings panel legitimate suggestions, or are they ads?

Since it's apparently a privacy feature to turn it off, my guess is that it's ads.

16 hours ago, GoodBytes said:
  • Dark Theme File Explorer
    File Explorer now support Dark theme. If you set your color option from Light to Dark, File Explorer will now be dark. Not every panel will change to Dark theme yet, so if you open some panels and they show white, then it’s not broken. It is coming later.
    1411167860_darktheme.PNG.30a9da1be723702cf60d81a4d2222eca.PNG

Now if only they gave us dark theme Office apps (Specifically outlook because thats what my company uses) Gray theme is about as good as I've got right now

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

16 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Ability to name and rename folders in the live tile section of the Start Menu.

but... we can already do this. This has been out since i got win 10

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

Now if only they gave us dark theme Office apps (Specifically outlook because thats what my company uses) Gray theme is about as good as I've got right now

They do? We use office 2016 at work and it has a black theme

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I mean I'm all for dark theme file explorer, but there's more pressing problems they could focus on

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

5 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

did some one say magenta??? 

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

29 minutes ago, Arika S said:

They do? We use office 2016 at work and it has a black theme

:( 

image.png.0071986b1eb1d682b5ac529c2d8832d4.png

image.png.daa0027787546206f415dfca043b9911.png

Edit* apparently this is a Office 365 subscription thing only, and even them sometimes it doesnt work

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_other-mso_win10-mso_o365b/black-theme-unavailable-in-office-2016/58f43278-ce14-4ea3-b6d8-19898a7a0acb

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Anyone if you can get the dx12 with ray-tracing support on it's own without all the other hoopla?

I always have mixed feelings with these updates.

It's nice they add new features but like, when is it going to end? They can't keep adding more and more stuff because it will eventually be just too much to handle.

They need to add a feature to manage all the features so i can get of the stuff i don't care about because this will eventually get out of hand, it's just a matter of time.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

27 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

I always have mixed feelings with these updates.

It's nice they add new features but like, when is it going to end? They can't keep adding more and more stuff because it will eventually be just too much to handle.

They need to add a feature to manage all the features so i can get of the stuff i don't care about because this will eventually get out of hand, it's just a matter of time.

Well, unused features gets deprecated and removed (ignoring replacements). Low usage gets little attention. High usage gets the most attention, unless they want people want to get more attention to.

This is one of the reason for telemetry data, and the feedback hub. And this is why you also have third party apps that might cater to a specific need for a small group in ones eyes.

3 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

It does.

File > Options > General > Office Color

I forgot to mention:

With this update, if you have Game Mode (Enabled by default), and you play a game, Windows will not run Windows Update. It will focus the resources to the game.

So... Task Manager is broken?

image.thumb.png.33c3462a6277495576c1e771a74b71d0.png

The difference can be quite more dramatic, like in some games it shows 2% usage for game, CPU total only 22%?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own.