Windows 10 October 2018 Update - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!

GoodBytes
7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Download whatever Samsung is calling the latest version of SideSync.

Yes but on The Verge ( https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/2/17929908/microsoft-app-mirroring-android-windows-10-desktop ) it claims the "Your Phone App" has screen/app mirroring?

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:
  • Typing Insights
    Typing Insights is Microsoft new auto-correct AI system which learns from your over time (Can be enabled and Disabled under: Settings > Device > Typing >Typing Insights. Stats on its corrections are available at the same locations under the Settings panel.

This is something I'm gonna be skeptical about. I'd rather not let that auto-correction thing to be enabled on my system. I suppose it's disabled by default so I shouldn't worry about that. The rest of the new features look alright. Looking forward for that diagnostic app they're gonna release so I can what telemetry data is actually being used (Just read about the app already being on the store) and the rest.

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

Dark theme interests me as I currently use it. The phone features also intrest me because then maybe people can get a hold of me. LOL. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

39 minutes ago, Arika S said:

tenor.gif?itemid=4877675

Puke.gif

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

Ooooo aaaaaahhh. Can't wait to get it. ? 

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

37 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Update: Can't seem to figure out how to do the phone mirroring feature. I've got the text messaging working which is SUPER great... But I don't see mirroring as an option with my S8. Any ideas?

Your Phone is delivered through the Store. It might be a few days before it shows up in your region/wave

45 minutes ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

This is a Windows update, not a Linux Distro. Guess you got that mixed up!

Is it backwards day?

I can play that game too:

Facebook cares about your privacy, google is your friend and microsoft makes an operating system that's not designed for idiots that have no idea how basic command line works.

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Your Phone is delivered through the Store. It might be a few days before it shows up in your region/wave

Not what I am saying, I have Your Phone. The Your Phone app does not have the mirroring feature...

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

25 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Not what I am saying, I have Your Phone. The Your Phone app does not have the mirroring feature...

No I mean, it it probably coming in the next few days.

It's currently downloading. Went and did a backup of my OS just before it though.
Dark theme for file explorer will be extremely appreciated here, that white explorer window is simply too damn bright when it's late at night, even with SunsetScreen enabled at 2250K and 20% brightness...(similar to F.lux... but has greater controls)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, Hellion said:

Is it backwards day?

I can play that game too:

Facebook cares about your privacy, google is your friend and microsoft makes an operating system that's not designed for idiots that have no idea how basic command line works.

You know, it is kinda funny seeing people scream and talk about the falling sky, just because they dislike a fully optional software. ?

You guys also can't take a joke for the life of you! Always triggered, always talking about conspiracies, always elitist like hell. 

Now that I got that off my chest:

It is Linux that keeps breaking things once updated. And that is coming from the guy that has to fix the issues for a few hundred people, every single day.

Those coworkers that use windows only come see me when their printer drivers decide to copy themselves. 

So forgive my bitterness, but I really started to hate Linux after having to fix it so often. Gladly my company is close to just remove the freedom to use the preferred OS and making people use MacOS or Windows. Either works and makes sure people actually get to work and not play the command line all the day.

Welp, it's one of those days again 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Why is everyone getting excited over the Dark Theme? I thought the point of getting Windows is so you can change it and we’ve had third party themes with this feature for over a decade.

3 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Why is everyone getting excited over the Dark Theme? I thought the point of getting Windows is so you can change it and we’ve had third party themes with this feature for over a decade.

Less 3rd party software taking resources.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

15 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Less 3rd party software taking resources.

It changes the files, not extra software.

5 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

It changes the files, not extra software.

Meaning you no longer need third party theme software to change the look of the file explorer

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Correction:

Game Bar does not include system performance stats. It seems to have been removed and moving to the next version of Windows 10.

Apologies for this mistake on my part.

6 hours ago, NowakVulpix said:

About time this was built into Windows by default.

use to be in there back in 3.11 and older, they removed it. fun fact: the older one works with no issues in 10.

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

Just now, Salv8 (sam) said:

use to be in there back in 3.11 and older, they removed it. fun fact: the older one works with no issues in 10.

Huh, I probably haven't played around with 3.11 enough then.

Wow, it feels like just a month ago we were getting 1803.  Time to run for the hills again I guess xD

Honestly looks like a lot of stuff that, while I very much appreciate, I can't be too happy about since it should have been added 10 or 20 years ago.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Wow, it feels like just a month ago we were getting 1803.  Time to run for the hills again I guess xD

Honestly looks like a lot of stuff that, while I very much appreciate, I can't be too happy about since it should have been added 10 or 20 years ago.

Yeah, maybe but rather late than never...

But that stuff they did with this update was pretty serious, especially the changes in the Notepad programme. Didn't expect them to touch that...

Or some other "new feature" from some other place: Can now place the startbar on the left or right side of the screen. ?

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

How is it 2018 and updating to a new release of Windows 10 still requires you to reboot and spend 10 minutes offline patching your system?

I guess I'm a filthy casual by this point but I've been super spoiled by A/B partitioning schemes and live system patching. It would be really great if we could see some of these modern conveniences come to Windows.

Does MacOS/iOS require an offline patching period after major updates? I know every major OS other than those three has it but I'm not sure about MacOS/iOS.