Techquickie idea- why linus wears sandals with socks.

Syntaxvgm
1 hour ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Dirt, stink, whatever. They need washing after wearing either way.

I don’t think you understand. I mean mud and water. Soil. Earth. 

Walking around with shit on your shoes is never good

5 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Personally, crocs gross me out so much. Sweaty feet mixed with rubber? It’s gross and I can’t help but imagine how horrible every croc wearers feet smell.

Plus they have holes everywhere, so the feet get dirty faster too. 

Sandals + socks (like the style Linus wears) are a different story. Comfort,

cleanliness, and convenience all rolled into one. 

I wanted to wear crocs so bad. They were extremely popular 6 or 7 years ago. After wearing them for a week I had to call it quits. My feet looked ravaged with blisters and dead skin. I don’t think you could ever make a shoe more uncomfortable than this. The socks would probably solve everything. But it’s not like I want to try them on again, after so long. 

Shout out to streamer Robbaz who calls them « Crooks » in a funny Swedish accent.

2 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

I understand what you mean. What you don't understand is it doesn't matter; it's all the same.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

9 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

What do you mean not good enough? Comfort and convenience alone would be justification enough when having to be on your feet much of the day. Allow the feet to "breathe" can be huge under certain conditions. Besides just being more comfortable, some people can actually damage their feet if they are damp too long. I have a diabetic friend that has to change socks during the day to avoid getting painful, slow healing sores if his feet get damp for too long. Another friend almost lost a foot and is no longer able to walk on it due to an infection from sweaty feet (and wasn't bright enough to see a doctor before it was too late; his doctors want to amputate it but he refuses to allow it).

This is the fucking best. Like really. I love this response. 

1 hour ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

I understand what you mean. What you don't understand is it doesn't matter; it's all the same.

Sweat is not the same as mud. In some countries sandals are definitely not an option. 

Well I think it stinks more a closed shoe with sweat than any sandal.... closed shoes arent a chemical barrier, if it stinks it stinkss

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

6 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Sweat is not the same as mud. In some countries sandals are definitely not an option. 

We are talking about Linus who lives in Canada, not some other country.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

16 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

As I mentioned, I do this every day; my socks are only a little dirty than if they had been in shoes, but a lot less sweaty.  I don't walk through mud on a daily basis.

It may not work where you live, but it works well where I live (and Linus is not that far from here).

On 10/2/2018 at 10:45 PM, Monkey Dust said:

Embedding each foot in a dead cat and wearing them a novelty slippers?

What kind of shoes do you use?

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

5 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

We are talking about Linus who lives in Canada, not some other country.

There’s mud in Canada too 

11 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

What kind of shoes do you use?

Depend what I'm doing. Work, formal or smart causal, I wear Brogues or Oxfords. Casual, skate shoes. Hot weather (not called for much in the UK, but occasionally) espadrilles. And walking boots for walking, working on and washing the car, DIY, etc...

24 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

There’s mud in Canada too 

Let's be clear.

99.9% of the time, a regular person is not going to walk in mud - shoes or not. They'll be walking indoors on a floor, or outside on a sidewalk or pavement. Most people's homes have grass out front, and also a paved or stone walkway between the house and the sidewalk/driveway - which is also typically paved.

If you live in a rural area, where you will definitely walk through mud? Sure. Wear appropriate footwear. But about the only time where socks n sandals might be a problem is:

1. Winter - obviously. And even then, most people wear boots in the winter, not shoes.

2. When it rains heavily.

It's really not hard to plan around those 2 scenarios.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Let's be clear.

99.9% of the time, a regular person is not going to walk in mud - shoes or not. They'll be walking indoors on a floor, or outside on a sidewalk or pavement. Most people's homes have grass out front, and also a paved or stone walkway between the house and the sidewalk/driveway - which is also typically paved.

If you live in a rural area, where you will definitely walk through mud? Sure. Wear appropriate footwear. But about the only time where socks n sandals might be a problem is:

1. Winter - obviously. And even then, most people wear boots in the winter, not shoes.

2. When it rains heavily.

It's really not hard to plan around those 2 scenarios.

Well why don’t we just walk in bare feet then? 

On 10/2/2018 at 6:47 PM, BadMonkey said:

By far the best sandals

geta.jpg.dc23b6492270fcf2bd97f62f78382bd0.jpg

I heard wearing these turns you into Samurai Jack

32 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Well why don’t we just walk in bare feet then? 

Why not just walk around naked then?

See what I did there? You're using extremes to make a point that doesn't make sense.

You're not having a reasonable discussion here. If you don't want to have a reasonable discussion, that's fine, but take it elsewhere.

Sandals provide protection from the ground itself - in particular stones or gravel, which can be extremely painful for many people to walk on barefoot. Additionally, depending on the sandal itself (varies, just like shoes), it can provide the same comfort and support as a shoe, in terms of foot and arch support, softness, etc.

Literally, a Sandal is a shoe without a top. The top only serves part of the function of a shoe. The bottom of the shoe/sandal is arguably the most important part of it.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, Lady Fitzgerald said:

All right, I'm convinced you're just rolling but I'll answer anyway then report you for trolling. Walking in bare feet can be painful for many, if not most people. Sandals peotect the bottom of the feet and the better ones also provide arch support.

To be fair this is an off topic thread and I’m stating my opinion.  (The title gives it away too it’s not that serious a thread). It’s just brief because it’s the morning. 

Sandals are made to be worn without socks to allow the foot to breath easier in warm climates.

It is not made for daily use or as a sturdy shoe, but for occasional use, such as going to the beach or on holiday.

it offers much less comfort and resilience than conventional shoes. If dirt could get into your feet or under your toenails it may increase chances of infection, especially so wearing sandals due to the material used and lack of a fabric sole. 

Slippers or jandals would serve Linus much better, and they are becoming more common, even with socks, which are more appropriate.

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Why not just walk around naked then?

See what I did there? You're using extremes to make a point that doesn't make sense.

You're not having a reasonable discussion here. If you don't want to have a reasonable discussion, that's fine, but take it elsewhere.

Sandals provide protection from the ground itself - in particular stones or gravel, which can be extremely painful for many people to walk on barefoot. Additionally, depending on the sandal itself (varies, just like shoes), it can provide the same comfort and support as a shoe, in terms of foot and arch support, softness, etc.

Literally, a Sandal is a shoe without a top. The top only serves part of the function of a shoe. The bottom of the shoe/sandal is arguably the most important part of it.

Bare feet is an option to which many people choose here. I don’t see the appeal myself, but some people do it quite frequently. It’s not unhealthy to do so or harmful in any way. The body will naturally adapt over time. If it’s painful to walk in bare feet, then sandals are not a great idea, as it can be hard to find some with proper orthopedic support - if you find it painful to walk in bare feet, there’s something wrong with your feet.

A sandal is also not simply a shoe without a top. They are made of different rubbery material and provide a different means of support than a sole. 

Just now, RorzNZ said:

To be fair this is an off topic thread and I’m stating my opinion.  (The title gives it away too it’s not that serious a thread). It’s just brief because it’s the morning.

It might be a silly topic, but that doesn't mean you get to troll.

Just now, RorzNZ said:

Sandals are made to be worn without socks to allow the foot to breath easier in warm climates.

That is one possible function of a sandal, yes.

Just now, RorzNZ said:

It is not made for daily use or as a sturdy shoe, but for occasional use, such as going to the beach or on holiday.

That entirely depends on the specific type of sandal you buy. I feel like when you hear the word "sandal", you hear "shitty flip-flops". Good sandals are like $100+, and are just as durable and comfortable as a good pair of shoes.

In fact, many many people (whether they wear socks or not), wear sandals every day for months - possibly even year round, in some climates.

Just now, RorzNZ said:

it offers much less comfort and resilience than conventional shoes.

Incorrect. It depends on the specific sandals you buy, just like shoes. There are many shoes that are just as shitty, low quality, low comfort, with no support, and no long term durability.

Just now, RorzNZ said:

If dirt could get into your feet or under your toenails it may increase chances of infection, especially so wearing sandals due to the material used and lack of a fabric sole. 

Lack of a fabric sole? What kind of Sandals are you wearing, son? Sandals come in just as many variations in fabric as shoes do. Furthermore, what are you walking through on a daily basis that would get dirt into your toenails or under your feet?

Furthermore, you're just proving the point that socks would prevent said hypothetical dirt from getting to the places you fear, by acting as a barrier.

Normal people, walking around doing normal things, in an urban environment, are not going to get dirt on their feet from sandals.

Just now, RorzNZ said:

Slippers or jandals would serve Linus much better, and they are becoming more common, even with socks, which are more appropriate.

I have no idea what "jandals" are, but looking them up, it appears that it is a specific sub-type of Sandals... Just like slippers are.

Slippers are made for indoor use. Typically they provide less arch support, and the bottom of the slipper is not durable and would wear out quickly. Slippers are a specific sub-type with a specific, limited use, and are not built to handle outside conditions.

Just now, RorzNZ said:

Bare feet is an option to which many people choose here. I don’t see the appeal myself, but some people do it quite frequently. It’s not unhealthy to do so or harmful in any way. The body will naturally adapt over time. If it’s painful to walk in bare feet, then sandals are not a great idea, as it can be hard to find some with proper orthopedic support - if you find it painful to walk in bare feet, there’s something wrong with your feet.

Dude you're the one who was just talking about dirt getting under nails and causing infection. If that's really a concern, barefoot is the worst way.

However, that's besides the point. Walking in bare feet is not what people find painful, it's walking over small objects while barefoot, such as stones, pebbles, gravel, etc.

Just now, RorzNZ said:

A sandal is also not simply a shoe without a top. They are made of different rubbery material and provide a different means of support than a sole. 

What? You seem to have no idea what a sandal is.

There are specific sandals that are made out of rubber material. There are also many types of sandals, that serve many different functions. You're too focused on one specific kind of sub-type of sandal.

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

It might be a silly topic, but that doesn't mean you get to troll.

I’m not trolling. These are my opinions. Everyone is reserved to have those no matter how stupid they are. 

That is one possible function of a sandal, yes.

That entirely depends on the specific type of sandal you buy. I feel like when you hear the word "sandal", you hear "shitty flip-flops". Good sandals are like $100+, and are just as durable and comfortable as a good pair of shoes.

That’s fair.

In fact, many many people (whether they wear socks or not), wear sandals every day for months - possibly even year round, in some climates.

Incorrect. It depends on the specific sandals you buy, just like shoes. There are many shoes that are just as shitty, low quality, low comfort, with no support, and no long term durability.

Thats fair too, but it does consider climate etc. Walking on pavements and indoors for long periods is quite niche.

Lack of a fabric sole? What kind of Sandals are you wearing, son? Sandals come in just as many variations in fabric as shoes do. Furthermore, what are you walking through on a daily basis that would get dirt into your toenails or under your feet?

Well walking through dirt and dust I live on a farm, I walk through mud and wear appropriate footwear. 

Furthermore, you're just proving the point that socks would prevent said hypothetical dirt from getting to the places you fear, by acting as a barrier.

The socks might trap the dirt, in bare feet the debris is not trapped. I guess this depends on your socks.

Normal people, walking around doing normal things, in an urban environment, are not going to get dirt on their feet from sandals.

I have no idea what "jandals" are, but looking them up, it appears that it is a specific sub-type of Sandals... Just like slippers are.

Having different perceptions on what sandals are is tricky on this topic I feel. When I picture sandals, they are cheaper than shoes and made of basic material. This affects my view on this topic a lot. Maybe if I go and try more expensive sandals it might change my mind, but those are hard to find here. 

Slippers are made for indoor use. Typically they provide less arch support, and the bottom of the slipper is not durable and would wear out quickly. Slippers are a specific sub-type with a specific, limited use, and are not built to handle outside conditions.

There’s like outdoor designer slippers is what I mean, I’m not sure how to describe them, but they are getting pretty popular. 

Dude you're the one who was just talking about dirt getting under nails and causing infection. If that's really a concern, barefoot is the worst way.

The body has mechanisms to cope walking barefoot. It’s a bit glass half full I agree to wearing sandals.

However, that's besides the point. Walking in bare feet is not what people find painful, it's walking over small objects while barefoot, such as stones, pebbles, gravel, etc.

What? You seem to have no idea what a sandal is.

Walking over stones, pebbles and gravel should not be painful is the point I’m making. If you wear shoes and slippers all the time, then it might be due to less wear on your feet, but you should consider not wearing them for a while - skin is meant to be thinker and protective on your feet to allow for this.

There are specific sandals that are made out of rubber material. There are also many types of sandals, that serve many different functions. You're too focused on one specific kind of sub-type of sandal.

Again it’s the picture of sandals that I have. Mainly due to availability and last experiences which is different for everyone.

Thread cleaned.

As per the Community Standards, troll accusations aren't allowed.

But then, trolling isn't either. Being disingenuous and arguing for fun certainly falls under that.

Off-topic isn't exempt from the forum rules.

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

Thread cleaned.

As per the Community Standards, troll accusations aren't allowed.

But then, trolling isn't either. Being disingenuous and arguing for fun certainly falls under that.

Off-topic isn't exempt from the forum rules.

holy shit this is getting heated. Which is not a problem since I wear sandals and they are breathable. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Why not just get a decent pair of highly breathable running shoes, which almost always have a more comfortable sole. 

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

On 10/2/2018 at 4:54 PM, Syntaxvgm said:

I want a solid 5 minutes explaining why this is the superior footwear choice. As someone who wears socks and sandals (the slip on kind) I need a good video to link to people. 

Image result for socks and sandals

That's not really tech though...

Could be alright for a FP exclusive though.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1 hour ago, TheKDub said:

That's not really tech though...

Could be alright for a FP exclusive though.

they were cutting edge tech 10,000 years ago 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 hour ago, Clanscorpia said:

Why not just get a decent pair of highly breathable running shoes, which almost always have a more comfortable sole. 

for me it's about sliding them on and off very quickly, which is why I wear slip ons. And not as breathable, but I do wear canvas shoes at the desk in the winter, I might try running shoes. 

muh specs 

All parts black