To encourage social distancing, you must leave two blank lines at the start and end of every post, and before and after every quote. Failure to comply may result in non-essential parts of the forum closing. Click for more details. ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Master Disaster

Microsoft might have removed the USB Type C ports from the Surface Laptop 2 and the Surface Pro 6

4 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

-snip-

You literally don't know what you're saying. USB C is not just made as an upgrade for speed but also being on all devices and easy compatibility with everything. Also being able to support various other tech than just data over it. 

And it's point is to get rid of dongles as well, transition takes time you know. 

Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB | Mouse: Zowie S1 | OS: Windows 10

But yeah seriously are they insane ignoring to include Type C really!? 

They better reconsider, cause that is such a fail. Everyone should offer 1 or more already. Make the fucking transition already, making it slow is the only actual painful thing. 

Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB | Mouse: Zowie S1 | OS: Windows 10

Keep in mind that these leaks may be false, I hope they are but you never know.

Edit: Like others have said, the Surface Go has a USB-C port, not sure why they would put it on that but leave out the more expensive models.

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

5 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

The craptastic dongle fest going on is enough to call it dumb, plus there is no device that could use the extra speed it has over typa A.... As for the rest its only beneficial on phones.

You would need dongles to use a surface anyway. USB C is superior in literally every single way. Unless you have a thunderbolt monitor from 10 years ago, you'll need a dongle to use that MDP port.

(FIFY) I do not buy netbooks so no issue there ;) .

Netbooks don't really exist anymore. Ultrabooks and netbooks are distinctly different categories. Stop being obstinate.

Then its not faster it just lacks backwards compatibility... :dry:

This is just wrong. The first USB C devices to come out (Nokia N1 in particular) were about 50% USB 2.0.

6 minutes ago, potoooooooo said:

Unless you have a thunderbolt monitor from 10 years ago, you'll need a dongle to use that MDP port.

Or a cable with mDP on one end. Which while not common in local shops, aren't hard to find online.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

17 hours ago, potoooooooo said:

Netbooks don't really exist anymore. Ultrabooks and netbooks are distinctly different categories. Stop being obstinate.

They are weak, they have almost no ports at all. Pretty much the description of a netbook.... :dry:

USB C is superior in literally every single way.

Aside from the non-existent device market if we exclude the dongles? 9_9

This is just wrong. The first USB C devices to come out (Nokia N1 in particular) were about 50% USB 2.0.

Maybe i misinterpreted it, but its still true that it isnt better just because it supposed to be only 3.0 or above... (BTW i didnt see that much USB 2.0 in type A form so its pretty moot argument)

Not surprising at all

Even if the type C is standard, the implementations are not standardized at all and it seems that everyone does their own thing, just look at the type C headphones situation on phones

5 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

They are weak, they have almost no ports at all. Pretty much the description of a netbook.... :dry:

Aside from the non-existent device market if we exclude the dongles? 9_9

Maybe i misinterpreted it, but its still true that it isnt better just because it supposed to be only 3.0 or above... (BTW i didnt see that much USB 2.0 in type A form so its pretty moot argument)

They really aren't that weak. They haven't been for a long time. Just because they're not gaming laptops doesn't mean they're weak. They come with quad core CPUs now. That's nothing to scoff at.

Also, the device market is pretty healthy. There are options to get pretty much everything in USB C at this point.

And honestly i have no idea what you even mean in your third point.

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 3:13 AM, Master Disaster said:

Even as I was typing the post I was thinking about dongles but I convinced myself that MS couldn't be that stupid. I guess that shows what I get for having confidence in a corporation.

What is it Luis Rossman always says? Companies trying to copy Apples success always copy the bad stuff, not the good stuff.

Not surprised - back when I gamed Console, and bought the Xbox, you had to buy every accessory for it separately. Xbox 360 advertised with as DVD player - sure, but only if you buy the Xbox Microsoft remote control for $30 (couldn't use your controllers you bought) etc.  Typical Microsoft

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4 ATX, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM (+100mhz core clock), 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker (or 4x8gb DDR4 2666mhz for large tasks), Corsair HX850 PSU, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiator, 128gb Patriot Scorch NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case.  DSI 90-Key Mechanical Keyboard w/ Cherry Red switches, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Hannspree HF207 and Acer AL2016W monitors

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig 1: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Acer XF270HU 2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37628874?

Dwight: The Mixed Metals Loop Media Center.  Ask me about it.  Currently decommissioned to move to an mATX setup on a new MOBO once I pick one out

Schrute: ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0, FX 8350, 2x Gigabyte HD 7850 2gb GPUs in crossfire, 16gb (4x4) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz, Sparkle/FSP 650w PSU, PCCOOLING 160w TDP air cooler, 60gb Patriot SSD Win 10 boot drive, 1tb WDBlack HDD, Rosewill Nautilus 1.0 case.  Logitech Wireless Keyboard and Mouse, Roku 55" 4k TV

Micro Form Factor Dell OptiPlex 3040: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 2x4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, 500gb Seagate 7mm HDD attached storage, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, USB Wifi adapter all vesa mounted to the back of a 37" 1080p TV for form factor in the kitchen

Linux Box: Toshiba Laptop, i7 620M, NVS graphics, 2gb ram tinker toy at the moment.  Running Manjaro at the moment

APU Laptop: I need to clean this things TIM up so it can boot into Windows 7 for more than 5 minute before overheating at idle, it has things, I just haven't been on it in 2 years or so

If that was the only issue with the Surface lineup. While they are nice looking and pretty well made, they are ridiculously expensive and the different configurations are idiotic. You want 512GB? Have fun paying a hefty extra since there's no i5 version with more than 256GB. 16GB? have fun going with the i7 again. Seriously, those devices are slim and light with not much room for cooling so you can hardly use the additional performance. And it's not like as if the i5 wasn't up for the task in 9/10 cases. But nope, they want you to max out the models. Even Apple gives you more options.

New Surface products have launched

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill

iPhone 8 Plus (Mid 2019 to present)

Samaritan XL (Early 2018 - present with 2019 GPU upgrades) - AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (8C/16T) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 16GB DDR4-3200MHz ,  Asus ROG Strix RX Vega 56 , Corsair RM850i PSU, Corsair H100i v2 CPU Cooler, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 2TB HDD (2018), Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD (2014), NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML 140 Pro