Microsoft might have removed the USB Type C ports from the Surface Laptop 2 and the Surface Pro 6

Master Disaster

M$ have a big reveal planned for today in NYC however recent images appear to show the new models are missing an important port, no USB C ports?

There’s a big night ahead for Microsoft as the US technology firm readies itself for some major announcements.

This hardware event is taking place in New York at 9pm BST with the launch of an upgraded Surface Laptop and Surface Pro 6 the headline news.

Microsoft sent out invites to media last month with the company simply saying a “moment of your time.”

Although there’s no confirmation, it’s likely these new laptops will feature more power, improved displays and longer battery life.

However, a recent set of leaks may also reveal one disappointing feature.

It seems that Microsoft’s new Surface Laptop 2 and Surface Pro 6 won't include any USB-C ports.

USB-C is fast becoming the standard for charging and data transfers.

In fact, Microsoft includes these ports on its Surface Book flagship and new, cheaper, Surface Go tablet.

But, if the latest rumours are true, there will be no sign of these sockets on the new products.

According to the leaks the new MS products will only feature USB A, Mini DP, a Surface Connect port and a 3.5" Headphone Jack which is very unusual considering USB C is becoming the defacto standard thanks to its increased speed and power delivery capabilities.

According to images leaked by mysmartprice, the Surface Laptop 2 will only include a standard USB port, Mini DisplayPort, 3.5mm headphone jack, and a Surface Connect port.

This seems like an odd decision from Microsoft especially as some of their other devices have taken the leap to USB-C.

This port has some big advantages including faster transfer speeds and the ability to charge and plug-in accessories from a single socket.

Some firms, including Apple, haven even taken things to the extreme by only including this port on their devices and nothing else.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/1025229/Microsoft-event-October-Surface-Laptop-2-Surface-Pro-6-Windows-10/amp

Page with leaked images

I thought we were past this nonsense now, USB C is the standard and everyone agreed. Why on earth would you release a product in 2018 (including a PROFESSIONAL SKU) that only has USB A ports?

You could go insane trying to work out what goes on in these large corporations, who thought this was a good idea?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Well that's dumb

Probably to get people to buy their new dongle

Lol dongles... $$$$

Not that I would buy a Surface anyway

Even as I was typing the post I was thinking about dongles but I convinced myself that MS couldn't be that stupid. I guess that shows what I get for having confidence in a corporation.

What is it Luis Rossman always says? Companies trying to copy Apples success always copy the bad stuff, not the good stuff.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

My laptop has two USB-C charging ports and I find them so handy. I also use the charger to charge my S9 and basically any phone with USB that people use around me since it's longer than phone chargers and delivers adequate power. USB-C is the future, why the fuck is Microsoft coming between that.

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

1 minute ago, jagdtigger said:

Good, USB-C is dumb on a laptop anyway....

The faster, smaller and reversable port is somehow dumb? Interesting hypothesis, care to elaborate?

Just now, Master Disaster said:

The faster, smaller and reversable port is somehow dumb? Interesting hypothesis, care to elaborate?

The craptastic dongle fest going on is enough to call it dumb, plus there is no device that could use the extra speed it has over typa A.... As for the rest its only beneficial on phones.

Any laptop or tablet  without USB-C in 2018 is DOA

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

44 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

The craptastic dongle fest going on is enough to call it dumb, plus there is no device that could use the extra speed it has over typa A.... As for the rest its only beneficial on phones.

I mean you're going to need dongles anyways since there's no VGA or HDMI ports for projectors, and no Ethernet jack... And that's not just the surface, that's most ultrabooks.

Just now, Sniperfox47 said:

I mean you're going to need dongles anyways since there's no VGA or HDMI ports for projectors, and no Ethernet jack... And that's not just the surface, that's most ultrabooks netbooks.

(FIFY) I do not buy netbooks so no issue there ;) .

49 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

there is no device that could use the extra speed it has over typa A

You do realize that type A and C are just connection system. I think you’re referring to USB 2.0, 3.1 and Thunderbolt 3. Also, there are devices that can take advantage of USB 3/3.1 speeds already. 

8 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

...tablet  without USB-C in 2018 is DOA

Not Apple ?

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

You do realize that type A and C are just connection system. I think you’re referring to USB 2.0, 3.1 and Thunderbolt 3.

Address that to @Master Disaster...

2 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Also, there are devices that can take advantage of USB 3/3.1 speeds already.  

Dont know anything about that. Maybe some external SSD's but that about it and to top it off its a niche market.

10 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

You do realize that type A and C are just connection system. I think you’re referring to USB 2.0, 3.1 and Thunderbolt 3. Also, there are devices that can take advantage of USB 3/3.1 speeds already. 

Not Apple ?

7 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Address that to @Master Disaster...

Dont know anything about that. Maybe some external SSD's but that about it and to top it off its a niche market.

Why address it to me? I'm fully aware of the difference but in this instance its moot as USB C only exists at 3/3.1 speeds anyway so when I said USB type C is faster than type A I was, at least partially correct (because you can get A ports at 3/3.1 speeds but you cannot get C ports slower than 3).

Also, I don't know of anything except for that thing that I do know of?

4 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

but you cannot get C ports slower than 3).

Then its not faster it just lacks backwards compatibility... :dry:

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Why address it to me? I'm fully aware of the difference but in this instance its moot as USB C only exists at 3/3.1 speeds anyway so when I said USB type C is faster than type A I was, at least partially correct (because you can get A ports at 3/3.1 speeds but you cannot get C ports slower than 3).

Also, I don't know of anything except for that thing that I do know of?

You can definitely hook USB type C up to a USB 2.0 controller. It's just that generally laptop manufacturers don't do that but many phones have up until recently had 2.0 C ports. Allegedly because controllers at the time used too much power.

Oh yes microsoft is known for breaking standards

43 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

um........ say hello to my little chinese friend.

https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_mate_9_pro-8396.php

as far as i know my Huawi mate 9 pro only has USB 2.0 transferspeeds.......

i dont care if they want to try and sell their own dongles.. (im not planning on buying one) but why put it on the right side where most people are going to have their mouse? that's the most annoying thing about it

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

6 minutes ago, Arika S said:

i dont care if they want to try and sell their own dongles.. (im not planning on buying one) but why put it on the right side where most people are going to have their mouse? that's the most annoying thing about it

Right angle connectors?

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

Maybe the uptake on USB C is too slow for peripherals.  I don't have any nor do I know anyone that does.  And while it appears to be on many devices now,  with many adapters/peripherals on the market in the latest shit storm regarding what will and won't work maybe MS just decided to avoid it for a while.

They may also have copt a lot of kickback from companies who don't want to upgrade their other USB devices or mess about with dongles. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, captain_to_fire said:

C can do what is basically a 2 lane USB signal, double the bandwidth. Not that that really matters for 99.99% of people, most devices don't saturate 3.0.

26 minutes ago, Arika S said:

why put it on the right side where most people are going to have their mouse? that's the most annoying thing about it

Mice aren't a super common thing being used with Surface devices, trackpad is equivalent to a MBP's in every area except for size, plus, touchscreen.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Dongles are the micro transactions of the hardware world. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

These article make zero fucking sense. If my Surface GO has usb-c and the SB2 that is a year old there is zero reason they wouldnt do it. 

4 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

if my macbook is anything to go by, it's too half baked right now. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

4 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

-snip-

You literally don't know what you're saying. USB C is not just made as an upgrade for speed but also being on all devices and easy compatibility with everything. Also being able to support various other tech than just data over it. 

And it's point is to get rid of dongles as well, transition takes time you know. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |