Elon Musk to Resign as Chairman of TESLA for 3 Years and Pay Fine for SEC Violations

8 hours ago, porina said:

He's pretty much accepted it at this point.

That's still not evidence, sometimes it's much easier to pay a fine you can easily afford than to defend yourself in court.

8 hours ago, porina said:

The problem, which they got him on, was that the "secured funding" didn't happen and most likely never existed in any tangible form.

We still don't know if he didn't have the funding secured.   An undefended accusation is not proof,  for all we know he could have had a handshake deal with a Saudi enterprise.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, mr moose said:

We still don't know if he didn't have the funding secured.   An undefended accusation is not proof,  for all we know he could have had a handshake deal with a Saudi enterprise.

And even then regardless of funding or not the SEC can take the view the market value was manipulated and impose a fine, taking a deal on something you know you can't win is better than fighting it and losing with potential harsher penalties.

On 9/29/2018 at 6:08 PM, Brooksie359 said:

Was not expecting this. Damn I thought there wouldn't be hard enough evidence to prove anything. 

The SEC does not play lol

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

On 9/29/2018 at 6:42 PM, RorzNZ said:

I think because GM is one company now. Most companies are actually owned by others. 

So as shown by this very nice chart, 

Toyota owns Lexus and Scion

Honda owns Acura

General Motors owns Cadilac, Chevrolet, Buick, Holden and GMC

Tesla owns no other companies

Ford owns Lincoln

Tata owns Jaguar, Land Rover (As well as Rover)

Kandi is a fairly new company that makes electric cars. 

On a side note, I'm surprised Fiat-Chrysler are not on the list -  as they own Abarth, Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Lancia, Maserati, Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler, Ram. 

Fiat should be on that list:

2018-10-01_1348.png.072b6780dc21d8074b53fd3ccb0f7674.png

Whoever took that above screenshot just grabbed a bunch of auto manufacturers are threw them into the list, they didn't specifically sort by largest. otherwise, Volkswagen would be on there too.

VW has a $75Bn Euro market cap (Roughly $86Bn USD):

2018-10-01_1352.png.6b738b6df393f240d0f26b27c443b88a.png

On 9/29/2018 at 6:51 PM, themaniac said:

whether or not GM is one company im very surprised that Ford is worth less then GM. Seeing as Fiat Chrysler is worth 26B they really should be on there

Fiat is currently sitting at $34.47Bn USD, not $26Bn, as shown above.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Fiat is currently sitting at $34.47Bn USD, not $26Bn, as shown above.

awesome, now if only they increased the amount of money they give Dodge

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

6 minutes ago, themaniac said:

awesome, now if only they increased the amount of money they give Dodge

Haha - well I think that is slowly happening - sort of anyway. 

They've really taken a keen interest in the RAM branding, and frankly, I think they will spin off RAM as it’s own truck brand separate from Dodge. Some new models of RAM don’t make a single mention of Dodge on the entire vehicle. 

As for the rest of the dodge lineup? No idea. 

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Haha - well I think that is slowly happening - sort of anyway. 

They've really taken a keen interest in the RAM branding, and frankly, I think they will spin off RAM as it’s own truck brand separate from Dodge. Some new models of RAM don’t make a single mention of Dodge on the entire vehicle. 

As for the rest of the dodge lineup? No idea. 

Actually Ram was separated from Dodge, it was one of the first things Fiat did when they bought/merged with Chrysler, iirc they do a 25/75 split for how much they give to the brands, 25% to Dodge, Chrysler, and Fiat, there might be another don't remember, and 75% to Ram, Jeep, Alfa Romeo, Maserati, and the rest of the brands

Spoiler

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

On 9/29/2018 at 4:11 PM, Ross Siggers said:

There are two shocking things here. One, that they actually made it stick, I don't think many people saw that coming...

Two, are Tesla really the second biggest car manufacturer in the US? I find that hard to believe even after the big three needed bailing a few years back

They are in market cap, not in production numbers. Their paper value is what makes them the 2nd biggest.

10 minutes ago, themaniac said:

Actually Ram was separated from Dodge, it was one of the first things Fiat did when they bought/merged with Chrysler, iirc they do a 25/75 split for how much they give to the brands, 25% to Dodge, Chrysler, and Fiat, there might be another don't remember, and 75% to Ram, Jeep, Alfa Romeo, Maserati, and the rest of the brands

Interesting - I mean, it makes sense from a branding perspective. Dodge still has a bad reputation for some people, yet RAM does not.

14 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Interesting - I mean, it makes sense from a branding perspective. Dodge still has a bad reputation for some people, yet RAM does not.

yeah it makes sense but doesn't mean I like it, in my heart it will always be Dodge Ram to me not just Ram

Spoiler

On 9/29/2018 at 7:20 PM, Arika S said:

so a few things here

Does he automatically get put back into the Director's chair after the 3 years or does he need to be re-promoted by the board?

image.png.736315ee21408b8a7afa250a272e7195.png

oh nooooooooooooo

While he's worth a fortune, as others have mentioned, almost all of his fortune is no doubt tied up in Stocks and other investments.

I have no idea what his liquid capital is, but I wouldn't be surprised if he has to sell a few shares in his portfolio to pay off the fine.

On 9/30/2018 at 12:51 PM, Drak3 said:

RAM 1500 EcoDiesel or RAM 1500 with an eTorque module.

But electric vehicles have good low end torque, it only goes down as RPM goes up. Not good for towing.

Hold on a minute though - as the torque curve drops, the vehicle's speed goes up dramatically. You don't need 450 lb-ft of torque at 90 MPH.

Take a look at this, for example:

2018-10-01_1519.png.65d6792facd2f72805b2f252d601bf4b.png

The top end Tesla listed here produces a flat 600 Nm (Newton-meters) of force all the way up to around 42 MPH (67 km/h).

That's 442.54 lb-ft of torque - which is more than a 2012 Dodge RAM 2500/3500 5.7L HEMI at full power:

2018-10-01_1511.png.575d0ac6a62a72878caa469899aa8c64.png

This Dodge tops out at just over 400 lb-ft, at around 4000 RPM. And then past 4000 RPM you get a drop off down to around 370 lb-ft.

An electric can smoke this in theory, because, yes, after 42 MPH, the Tesla sees a torque drop, but it's not immediate. At 60 MPH you're still getting over 300 lb-ft of torque.

For a regular person using a truck in a regular way, pulling a heavy trailer around town, etc, an Electric Pickup Truck would service their needs with no problems, assuming you can get enough batteries on board at a low enough weight to give it decent range.

Hell, I would like to see a Diesel-Electric train style power system in a Pickup, that would be interesting. Does anyone know if any modern manufacturers have tried this?

42 minutes ago, themaniac said:

yeah it makes sense but doesn't mean I like it, in my heart it will always be Dodge Ram to me not just Ram

Fair enough lol

5 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Hell, I would like to see a Diesel-Electric train style power system in a Pickup, that would be interesting. Does anyone know if any modern manufacturers have tried this?

Only some concept cars, not anything selling that I know of but I haven't exactly gone far and wide to look for one.

30 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Only some concept cars, not anything selling that I know of but I haven't exactly gone far and wide to look for one.

It would be an interesting experiment, to see if it could be a viable product. As you already pointed out, it works on freight trains (and is not a new technology) - miniaturizing it enough to be practical would be interesting to see.

It would be more useful for remote worksites that perhaps lack even electricity, but can ship or haul fuel in en masse.

I have no idea why everyone is looking at market cap. Market cap can change a lot in a single day. I'd say that currently Tesla is insanely overvalued. Tesla is nowhere close to being a big player in the car industry. They will need to sell at least 10x more cars per year to catch up to Ford. This means a lot of new products. Factories for new products are nowhere to be seen, if they want to start producing Tesla Semi and Model Y in 2020, they need to start building a new factory in 2017.