Elon Musk to Resign as Chairman of TESLA for 3 Years and Pay Fine for SEC Violations

Source:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-29/elon-musk-and-sec-reach-settlement-on-fraud-charges

Main Content:

Musk gets to keep his job as CEO but must resign within 45 days as chairman for three years, according to a statement released by Saturday by the regulator.

He’ll also have to pay a $20 million fine and have Tesla appoint two new independent directors. Tesla will pay another $20 million.

My take:

I think Tesla as a company will be fine and Elon will get some well needed rest from the crazy stuff he's been doing. He'll still have SpaceX and Boring Company so he won't get bored but I'm glad the SEC is taking steps to ensure the second largest car manufacturer in the US is under stable guidance and isn't crossing legal boundaries for memes...

I'm getting ready to buy some TSLA when it is on sale on Monday, but that's just me...

Because people are confused:
Elon remains CEO of Tesla, but is losing his title of Chairman

The Chairman of the Board of a company makes decisions regarding the direction the company is headed.

They "steer the ship" so to speak.

The CEO executes plans and handles operation of a company.
The CEO's job is to be guided by the board and execute their will in practical terms in the company.

Elon loses his big picture direction and decision making unilateral power, but he can still give feedback and persuade the board to do things he believes in.

He also still handles operations of the company and many administrative tasks for Tesla.

Additional Links:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2018/09/29/teslas-elon-musk-settles-with-sec-paying-million-fine-resigning-board-chairman
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/sep/29/elon-musk-tesla-40m-sec-case-tweets

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-musk-pay-40-mln-213220846.html

https://www.wsj.com/articles/elon-musk-can-remain-tesla-ceo-but-must-step-down-as-chairman-in-sec-settlement-1538257394

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/29/business/tesla-musk-sec-settlement.html

He won't get bored?
I see what you did there.

It'll be interesting to see how Tesla does.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

Was not expecting this. Damn I thought there wouldn't be hard enough evidence to prove anything. 

The funniest part was if he had set the price to $419 they probably would have let him off the hook. The markup of 20% from TSLA's closing price the day before he tweeted (which he said was his reason for the pricing tweet) would have been $419 by the SEC's calculations but he bumped it to 420 for the meme.

There are two shocking things here. One, that they actually made it stick, I don't think many people saw that coming...

Two, are Tesla really the second biggest car manufacturer in the US? I find that hard to believe even after the big three needed bailing a few years back

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

3 minutes ago, Ross Siggers said:

There are two shocking things here. One, that they actually made it stick, I don't think many people saw that coming...

Two, are Tesla really the second biggest car manufacturer in the US? I find that hard to believe even after the big three needed bailing a few years back

Yeah, Tesla is right behind GM in market cap, second largest US based and US owned auto manufacturer.

Uh.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

14 minutes ago, Eric The Tech Guru said:

the second largest car manufacturer in the US 

shit seriously? would never have thought they would be in the top five at this time, who the hell are the others in the top 5 then

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

fit punishment for manipulation stocks. Good riddance. Now he was to solve the problem of paying all the stock holders that lost money and are suing. 

2 minutes ago, themaniac said:

shit seriously? would never have thought they would be in the top five at this time, who the hell are the others in the top 5 then

maybe market cap, it's impossible to be by units sold.

7 minutes ago, themaniac said:

image.png.27d6324e6a9969d22a93c6e0d4966815.png

Fiat Chrysler is at 26.811B right now.

21 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Was not expecting this. Damn I thought there wouldn't be hard enough evidence to prove anything. 

He settled, there was no trial. Evidence or not, they probably thought it wasn't worth fighting.

Neither Tesla nor Musk admitted wrongdoing under the settlement

This is not an admission of guilt or a sentencing, they basically said "we'll pay you $40M if you leave us alone".

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

7 minutes ago, themaniac said:

I think because GM is one company now. Most companies are actually owned by others. 

10 minutes ago, Eric The Tech Guru said:

image.png.27d6324e6a9969d22a93c6e0d4966815.png

So as shown by this very nice chart, 

Toyota owns Lexus and Scion

Honda owns Acura

General Motors owns Cadilac, Chevrolet, Buick, Holden and GMC

Tesla owns no other companies

Ford owns Lincoln

Tata owns Jaguar, Land Rover (As well as Rover)

Kandi is a fairly new company that makes electric cars. 

On a side note, I'm surprised Fiat-Chrysler are not on the list -  as they own Abarth, Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Lancia, Maserati, Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler, Ram. 

You know, it really wouldn't surprise me if this was Elon's plan all the long. Maybe he wanted to step down but if he did, it would look bad on the company. So he devised a plan to get 'forced' out of the company, and that's why he settled even though he probably could have won the case if it went to trial.

With Elon out of the picture (well, he is still CEO), people might start to think of Tesla as a 'proper' car company 

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

5 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

I think because GM is one company now. Most companies are actually owned by others. 

So as shown by this very nice chart, 

Toyota owns Lexus and Scion

Honda owns Acura

General Motors owns Cadilac, Chevrolet, Buick, Holden and GMC

Tesla owns no other companies

Ford owns Lincoln

Tata owns Jaguar, Land Rover (As well as Rover)

Kandi is a fairly new company that makes electric cars. 

On a side note, I'm surprised Fiat-Chrysler are not on the list -  as they own Abarth, Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Lancia, Maserati, Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler, Ram. 

whether or not GM is one company im very surprised that Ford is worth less then GM. Seeing as Fiat Chrysler is worth 26B they really should be on there

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

2 minutes ago, themaniac said:

whether or not GM is one company im very surprised that Ford is worth less then GM. Seeing as Fiat Chrysler is worth 26B they really should be on there

Ford used to own Volvo, Aston and have large shares in other companies, but has regressed to only owning Lincoln. They still make great cars though, and the figures prove it. Overseas, especially NZ and AU (well - the markets I know at least!) Ford is pretty big and has a large base. It's mostly either Ford or Holden in Australia and Ford / Toyota in NZ. 

40 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Time to buy Tesla stock!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this lol

People keep saying no evidence... When he tweeted 420$ then said funding secured by someone in the mid east, People can keep their shares in the company.... They can see the price of the stock change literally as he said that... But then none of that was true... he is the chairmen and ceo of the company HE is the ONLY one that Shouldn't EVER lie about it..... That is plain market manipulation. 

2 minutes ago, rawrdaysgoby said:

People keep saying no evidence... When he tweeted 420$ then said funding secured by someone in the mid east, People can keep their shares in the company.... They can see the price of the stock change literally as he said that... But then none of that was true... he is the chairmen and ceo of the company HE is the ONLY one that Shouldn't EVER lie about it..... That is plain market manipulation. 

have you got proof he lied? As far as I am aware there are no laws that determine how you must announce your plans for privatization. So long as you are not  lying.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

14 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

They still make great cars though,

Not so much anymore, considering they only make one car in the states now.

Pretty light punishment honestly given how biased they are for the big 3. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

so a few things here

resign within 45 days as chairman for three years,

Does he automatically get put back into the Director's chair after the 3 years or does he need to be re-promoted by the board?

He’ll also have to pay a $20 million fine

image.png.736315ee21408b8a7afa250a272e7195.png

oh nooooooooooooo

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒