Is this true?

Jeroen1322

Hi guys!

I have a teacher on my school that says that learning how to program is a waste of my time because all the stuff is made in India and China (His words not mine!)

He is really ignorant and doesn't know shit about technologie although he teatches it... I had to correct him several times but this question got me wondering.

I've put allot of time and money in to buying books and taking lessons but it would suck if it was just a waste.. 

I don't think this is true and that there is a big demand for programmers now and even more in the future. But also more and more people are learning how to program.. 

What do you think?

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

I think programming is going to be a bit more common for a job in the future. All the tech, just gonna get more and more of that.

I personally don't enjoy 9-string guitars, but that doesn't change the fact that they look awesome as hell!

I think programming is going to be a bit more common for a job in the future. All the tech, just gonna get more and more of that.

Your sig fits the topic perfectly xD

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

If you can do something unique then yes, there is probably something for you to do

Hi guys!

I have a teacher on my school that says that learning how to program is a waste of my time because all the stuff is made in India and China (His words not mine!)

He is really ignorant and doesn't know shit about technologie although he teatches it... I had to correct him several times but this question got me wondering.

I've put allot of time and money in to buying books and taking lessons but it would suck if it was just a waste.. 

I don't think this is true and that there is a big demand for programmers now and even more in the future. But also more and more people are learning how to program.. 

What do you think?

Bullshit...  I've only been programming for almost a year and it's really basic stuff i'll tell you starting a new language is extremely hard but when you get the hang... .it's a walk in the park. If you want a job in the tech industry or you want to be a computer engineer. It's kinda mandatory

Your sig fits the topic perfectly xD

:D

I personally don't enjoy 9-string guitars, but that doesn't change the fact that they look awesome as hell!

she can go and eat a d*ck

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

she can go and eat a d*ck

ouch..! :o

ouch..! :o

it's like saying that we don't need any doctors because now  we have pills for any disease

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

it's like saying that we don't need any doctors because now  we have pills for any disease

That is a really good argument actiually! I'll tell him! 

The instructor needs to find another career. But he is right in the jobs going overseas. We as Americans asks for to much pay and we rank something like 57th in education. All the military and government jobs will stay here. The private sector will find better educated people overseas at lower pay. I'm only talking about programing language because that all I know about. An educated person that can speak and write several different languages is more likely to get high paying jobs if he or she knows there stuff.

I keep forgetting this is a international forum. I'm from United States.

Programing is here to stay for a zillion years

Michael Summers

CaseObsidian 900D  MOBORampage IV Extreme CPU:  i7-4960X Ivy Bridge-E 3.6GHz  RAM:: Vengeance Pro 32GB  Boot : RAID 0  840 Pro  512GB  Data:  RAID 10 WD Red  2TB PS: Corsair : AX1200 GPU:  ASUS  GTX-780 Ti

Birthday Gift from my wife - She made me order it and built it :-)

Anyone can put together a website, and anybody can form some sort of game using RPG Maker or something similar. Anybody can learn any language and put together some code to do something, but those who build great things and develop great ideas simply take the same foundations and do more with them.

Anybody can learn to program, but to program well requires experience and skill that books and teaching are fundamental to. You can try and learn yourself but you will require resources to aid you and give you a decent understanding that others without such resources will almost certainly lack. 

When I first started programming, I knew how to assign variables and being creating programs that did what I wanted, but I knew nothing about Object Orientation to drastically alter the development process and create reusable, easy-to-read code. I knew nothing of memory management in programs until I began a foundational C/C++ course. Until then all languages had done that for me; now I am able to better understand why some programs may require more resources or slow up in some areas.

Don't listen to the negativity your teacher is providing. If you're interested in something, and you have the passion to become good at what you do, then the jobs you will get in the future won't be 'Web Developer at Generic Firm', they'll be software engineer, or researcher at big names, or unique companies doing things nobody else is doing.

And your teacher will still be teaching things they barely understand.

Its worth learning.

And for your teacher... Just dont feed the trolls

~Judah

I totally disagree with that teacher's statement. It is like saying, "Why be a teacher when people can learn from books and the internet?".

Nope, although most of their finished products are manufactured in China because it's cheaper for them. Some in Germany, some in India. 

I live in Silicon Valley, all the great geniuses that become engineers and programmers are located here. They get paid big. Passion and dedication is all you need.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

I lol'd so hard at this...

and completely agree... xD

I work for a research and development company that develops memory (I cannot give any more info than that...) and just let me say... If I couldn't program, I would be out of a job...

I literally spend 6+ hours a day of hard coding...

I totally disagree with that teacher's statement. It is like saying, "Why be a teacher when people can learn from books and the internet?".

With so called college teachers these days preaching their political BS and other ideologies that have nothing to do with the subject they are supposed to be teaching, you may as well be self-taught from books and the internet.

With so called college teachers these days preaching their political BS and other ideologies that have nothing to do with the subject they are supposed to be teaching, you may as well be self-taught from books and the internet.

I disagree,

The biggest part of programming that I learned in college that I have still to this day found hardly anything useful about online is "good practices" when programming...

Because so many languages have extremely diverse "good practices" having a good solid idea of them is extremely beneficial...

Point is... there are just some things you can't really learn on the internet...

false, false, false, return false; I myself LOVE programming. I do it in my free time instead of playing games as I get something in return from it. When you learn how to program you'll come across allot of maths which you could use in a everyday situation and also from programming I learned things such best solutions in certain occasions due to debugging. When you'll start mastering the intermediate grade stuff of programming you'll start to be able to pretty much read any programming language at ease and mastering it won't be a hassle as well.

In terms of jobs you're going to notice that pretty much any company or business is going to need a programmer at some sort due to their common sense and also keep in mind that everyday technology is expending more and more which means that more and more programmers are needed. You're going to have to take my word for it, programming is NEVER a waste of time even if you just mess about with a source code, you'll find out that pretty much everyday you're going to learn a new thing.

Programming is one of the most "future proof" professions out there. Everything will need code in the future.

Outsourcing programming to China and what not faces the same possible quality issues as physical wares. Quality software is very often made elsewhere.

So if you really put time and effort into learning to program, you will never stand without a job.

Cheers,

Linus

I guess I better tell all the people I know coding for software & gaming companies and enterprise IT departments that their jobs don't really exist.

Certainly there are coding shops in India. I've never heard of any in China that export their work. But the fact is that most software design occurs elsewhere. In N. America and Europe. If one wants to design software, one first needs to learn how to create it. That involves learning programming.

Given the nature of software few enterprises are willing to outsource development of major parts of their projects. Would anyone in their right mind trust an outsourcing vendor paying slave-like wages with coding their next game, software release, or account management system? And we won't even consider the largest single consumer of software in the world, the US military, in that question.

I suspect the teacher mentioned belongs to the same myopic group of people who some sixty years ago predicted that six or seven mainframes would be sufficient for the entire computing needs of the United States.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

I guess I better tell all the people I know coding for software & gaming companies and enterprise IT departments that their jobs don't really exist.

Certainly there are coding shops in India. I've never heard of any in China that export their work. But the fact is that most software design occurs elsewhere. In N. America and Europe. If one wants to design software, one first needs to learn how to create it. That involves learning programming.

Given the nature of software few enterprises are willing to outsource development of major parts of their projects. Would anyone in their right mind trust an outsourcing vendor paying slave-like wages with coding their next game, software release, or account management system? And we won't even consider the largest single consumer of software in the world, the US military, in that question.

I suspect the teacher mentioned belongs to the same myopic group of people who some sixty years ago predicted that six or seven mainframes would be sufficient for the entire computing needs of the United States.

You be surprise on what India is exporting in the coding arena. Well China has allot of educated high tech personal. Their federal government is preventing the trained personnel in using their knowledge outside the their country China. Very frankly, U.S. can't keep up with China. They are producing better educated people at the high school, and college level.

Michael Summers

CaseObsidian 900D  MOBORampage IV Extreme CPU:  i7-4960X Ivy Bridge-E 3.6GHz  RAM:: Vengeance Pro 32GB  Boot : RAID 0  840 Pro  512GB  Data:  RAID 10 WD Red  2TB PS: Corsair : AX1200 GPU:  ASUS  GTX-780 Ti

Birthday Gift from my wife - She made me order it and built it :-)

Go for it keep working on it....There is going to be a bigger and bigger need for programmers of all kinds :) 

CPU Ryzen 5 Asrock B350 Pro 4 / MSI RX580 Gaming / RAM 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance 3000 / HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda / SSD Samsung 840 120GB / 500GB Samsung SSD / Case Urban S31 / PSU EVGA G2 750w / Os Windows 10 / Keyboard Corsair K70 / Mouse Razer Naga 2013 (Won it from Linus!!