If Microsoft decided to build Windows 11 or 12, what features are you expecting?

What features am I expecting? Or what features am I hoping for?

"Features" I'm expecting

• OS built around Cortana and Edge (where while breaking both are completely possible and won't break 10, I do not expect that to last to the next OS or even future 10 updates)
  • Usage statistics, telemetry, system information, and installed software data collection will be even more aggressive and more difficult to disable
  • File sampling for Windows Defender no longer voluntary
  • Sponsored or featured apps appearing on start menu (maybe even auto installing)
  • Actual ads inside the OS and possibly a subscription service that would reduce or eliminate ads

Features I'm hoping for

• Ability to uninstall Microsoft Edge and Cortana
  • Ability to buy a version of Windows that no longer data mines or spams ads at you...even if it were to cost double.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

6 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

That's the first time I've seen a complaint about the Start Menu. What's wrong with it?

it's worthless. the start menu on Windows 7 was so much better. i even preferred the Windows 8 menu because at least it didn't try putting large square blocks into a small menu. now if i want to search for something that's far down the list of apps i have to do a lot of scrolling. and the search function is a different button... why? search also works if you just open the start menu...

She/Her

4 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Please Continue. *Grabs popcorn

i assume you also read the other list too so i'll continue from that :)

• with multiple drives in a system it will install the boot loader on a random drive, not the one i selected for the install. sometimes i have to pull out all the other drives in a system before the boot loader installs where it should.
  • why can't windows read ext4 file systems? just why?
  • windows scaling is awful. i had a 15" 1080p laptop, at 125% it scaled to 1536x864, which is WAY too large. ideally i want a screen like that to scale around the 1600x900 range, but i can only do that with custom scaling which has issues with blurry icons etc.
  • changing your default browser is unnecessarily difficult.
  • Edge browser is terrible
  • setting the display timeout to never on a laptop gives you a warning in Windows defender for some reason, so you think you have a virus but actually it's complaining that some settings affect battery life. WHY!

i can still think of more things if you want me to ;)

She/Her

7 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

it's worthless. the start menu on Windows 7 was so much better. i even preferred the Windows 8 menu because at least it didn't try putting large square blocks into a small menu. now if i want to search for something that's far down the list of apps i have to do a lot of scrolling. and the search function is a different button... why? search also works if you just open the start menu...

It's easy to make it exactly like the Windows 7 one. It's funny that you even struggle to use it. I think you're just complaining over nothing. xD

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

2 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

It's easy to make it exactly like the Windows 7 one. It's funny that you even struggle to use it. I think you're just complaining over nothing. xD

that;s not the point at all. i only siad i think the Windows 7 start menu is better.

and third party tools are not relevant in this discussion. those can change an OS entirely. this is about what is in the operating system out of the box and is that good or not.

(for clarification because i know people are going to use the argument 'Linux is terrible then because without third party apps it's just a command line' with Linux i look at distributions. what do the distributions have out of the box)

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

that;s not the point at all. i only siad i think the Windows 7 start menu is better.

and third party tools are not relevant in this discussion. those can change an OS entirely. this is about what is in the operating system out of the box and is that good or not.

(for clarification because i know people are going to use the argument 'Linux is terrible then because without third party apps it's just a command line' with Linux i look at distributions. what do the distributions have out of the box)

I didn't mean with third party tools, just by tweaking the settings.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

26 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

You kinda need to explain why it's worthless, and why you find the Windows 7 Start Menu better. Not saying you're wrong or right - in fact, for business use, I still prefer the Windows 7 Start Menu because it's barebones, but do make half-decent use of the Windows 10 Start Menu for personal use. I don't believe that preferring Windows XP vs 7 vs 10 can result in a subjectively right or wrong answer - use whatever works best for your needs.

You can change the sizing of the squares to your liking, and can pin both the (IMO) useless Windows Store apps alongside your Win32 apps. Also, search is not separate at all - simply tap the Windows key and start typing and bam! search results for ... hey wait, why won't it find Calculator when I type out "calc"? Well, OK, fine, search might not always find what you're looking for, but it's most definitely not an entirely separate button.

image.png.44128c4e37438408ee6890dec66295aa.png

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

@kirashi i find the windows 7 start menu much more easy to use.

for example, win32  apps have the horribly small icons in the menu. why don't they just fill the whole tile. i can barely see the icons, which makes it so i have to look for them which is annoying and takes time.

i know Windows search isn't entirely seperate, but why take up space on my taskbar with a button for it then?

She/Her

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

11 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

@kirashi i find the windows 7 start menu much more easy to use.

for example, win32  apps have the horribly small icons in the menu. why don't they just fill the whole tile. i can barely see the icons, which makes it so i have to look for them which is annoying and takes time.

i know Windows search isn't entirely seperate, but why take up space on my taskbar with a button for it then?

Gotcha. I agree that icons should take up the full square, but that's actually not Microsoft's fault, as it's the responsibility of the developers of each Win32 app to embed different icon resolutions inside the executable file so that Windows can recognize this and use the best sized one to fill the space. This issue has existed since Windows Vista, but was less noticeable since most people didn't increase the size of their shortcut icons to crazy huge levels back then. However, if you were to click on your desktop, then hold CTRL and scroll your mouse wheel, some Win32 app icons would remain tiny, just as they do in Windows 10's Start Menu.

You can turn off the extra space the Cortana search takes up on your taskbar by right-clicking the taskbar and choosing Hidden from the Cortana menu. My screenshot doesn't have a search bar taking up precious space because I already turned it off. :P 

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

18 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

They actually are going back on this perpetual garbage and working on Windows 11. 

Can you back that up? Everything I've read is that MS has no plans for a "Windows 11".

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

I'd want it to look exactly like windows xp or 7.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Current Rig (Dominator II): 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3133 C15, AMD Ryzen 3 1200 at 4GHz, Coolermaster MasterLiquid Lite 120, ASRock B450M Pro4, AMD R9 280X, 120GB TCSunBow SSD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HSD, Corsair CX750M Grey Label, Windows 10 Pro, 2x CoolerMaster MasterFan Pro 120, Thermaltake Versa H18 Tempered Glass.

Previous Rig (Black Magic): 8GB DDR3 1600, AMD FX6300 OC'd to 4.5GHz, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Asus M5A78L-M PLUS /USB3, GTX 950 SC (former, it blew my PCIe lane so now on mobo graphics which is Radeon HD 3000 Series), 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200RPM HDD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HDD (secondary), Corsair CX750M, Windows 8.1 Pro, 2x 120mm Red LED fans, Deepcool SMARTER case

My secondary rig (The Oldie): 4GB DDR2 800, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz, Stock Dell Cooler, Foxconn 0RY007, AMD Radeon HD 5450, 250GB Samsung Spinpoint 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management. UPDATE: SPECS UPGRADED DUE TO CASEMOD, 8GB DDR2 800, AMD Phenom X4 9650, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Biostar GF8200C M2+, AMD Radeon HD 7450 GDDR5 edition, Samsung Spinpoint 250GB 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management and support for non Dell boards.

Retired/Dead Rigs: The OG (retired) (First ever PC I used at 3 years old back in 2005) Current Specs: 2GB DDR2, Pentium M 770 @ 2.13GHz, 60GB IDE laptop HDD, ZorinOS 12 Ultimate x86. Originally 512mb DDR2, Pentium M 740 @ 1.73GHzm 60GB IDE laptop HDD and single boot XP Pro. The Craptop (dead), 2gb DDR3, Celeron n2840 @ 2.1GHz, 50GB eMMC chip, Windows 10 Pro. Nightrider (dead and cannibalized for Dominator II): Ryzen 3 1200, Gigabyte A320M HD2, 8GB DDR4, XFX Ghost Core Radeon HD 7770, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 (2010), 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Corsair CX750M Green, Deepcool SMARTER, Windows 10 Home.

21 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Windows 10 Privacy edition

Windows 10 Privacy
Windows X Privacy

Windows XP

If Nvidia bought the Windows OS from Microsoft

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

6 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Can you back that up? Everything I've read is that MS has no plans for a "Windows 11".

Actually nvm I looked back and it was an April fools post. Well they must be working on something I suppose. 

On 9/28/2018 at 10:04 AM, firelighter487 said:
  • start menu is useless
  • buggy desktop experience
  • theming is very inconsistent
  • Windows update fails regularly
  • privacy issues

do you want me to continue?

how is the start menu useless?
How is it any more buggy than any other version?
I agree with that
Not sure about regularly....
What issues?

@poochyena

it's so slow and silly i never use it. if i open it and start searching for an app it drops me to Windows search which is terrible. those apps that give you a Windows 7 style start menu have so much better search function if all i want to find is an application. i don't want to search the whole filesystem if all i want is to open something i usually don't open like the Windows store.

i've had a load of bugs in Windows 10 for a long time now. ranging from opening search on my second screen causing the taskbar to glitch out and dissapear, then reappear and having to open search again, to strange glitches when maximizing certain apps.

windows update has bricked a few systems for me, causing it not to want to update anymore and needing a reinstall to fix it.

the fact by default it's tracking what apps you open and stuff even if you select basic during the install. just open your privacy settings and check what's enabled that you weren't asked about during the install of Windows. you'll see.

She/Her

8 minutes ago, poochyena said:

How is it any more buggy than any other version?

Ive had a bug that my mouse cursor becomes distorted and glitchy, it still works but is weird. Eventually it fixes it self. This has been the case thru 4 installs of Windows 10 on this one machine. Im also staring at a bug right now. It says I have a notification, but there is no notification. Most of the bugs are small. 

10 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Not sure about regularly....

The last few creators updates for me I had to reformat and reinstall after the update due to it not working properly. The last creators update went well, but Microsoft's track record with Windows 10 is iffy at best. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.