My Main Gaming System - Retired System

Gecko

how does the soundcard connect to the motherboard then

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

Sweet build! Looks AMAZING! :D

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

how does the soundcard connect to the motherboard then
With a ribbon cable

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️🖥️

Congrats on the build of the week! xD
Thanks

Congrats on getting featured! :) They are right, you somehow managed to pull off Noctua's, that in itself deserves a lifetime achievement award!

It's fun, I'm using exacly the same pci-e 1x riser to plug my sound card, using the same kind of slot in my case (Arc Midi, fractal). I though I was the only guy who had this strange idea!

Working fine on my side too.

Anyway really nice system!

Please forgive my poor English level (I'm French).

Congrats on getting featured! :) They are right, you somehow managed to pull off Noctua's, that in itself deserves a lifetime achievement award!
Thanks Dude

My next build is already in the works when parts come out :)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Why is the sound card installed in the expansion slot for USB ports and not plugged in to a PCI-E slot?

I was wondering that to but hey, it looks good.

Ok well I had the money and I wanted to make sure I always had the power covered if I ever upgrade, I also do video rendering and running 3 screens so guys don't worry so much :)

Just wondering...what is the pvc for?

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

Just wondering...what is the pvc for?

Has ferit inside so stops electrical interference and easy maintenance :)

Has ferit inside so stops electrical interference and easy maintenance :)

Good idea!

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

I'm curious about that too. The RAM not so much, but the CPU and the PSU. 1200w for a couple of 6970s seems hugely wasted.

It's his rig. Its not a waste if it's what he wants!

It's his rig. Its not a waste if it's what he wants!

Everything else aside, that's just factually wrong...So a waste is only a waste if the owner of what's being wasted doesn't want it to be wasted? In other words, if I start throwing dollar bills into a fire because I feel like it, it's not a waste of money?

Everything else aside, that's just factually wrong...So a waste is only a waste if the owner of what's being wasted doesn't want it to be wasted? In other words, if I start throwing dollar bills into a fire because I feel like it, it's not a waste of money?

I wouldn't call a 3930k for a gamer/workstation rig and the ram "throwing money in a fire" lol. but I respect your opinion :)

I just don't respect getting on a public "friendly" tech forum and insulting someone else's choice of hardware. I found a used 3930k for the same price as a haswell I7 and I went for it. Not a waste at all and I am happy with it. It's not a waste to have a Ford Mustang for a daily driver if you can afford it even though you never use 3/4 of it's power. It's not required to only own a system that JUST meets your minimum requirements...unless you are just limited by a budget.

I wouldn't call a 3930k for a gamer/workstation rig and the ram "throwing money in a fire" lol. but I respect your opinion :)

I just don't respect getting on a public "friendly" tech forum and insulting someone else's choice of hardware. I found a used 3930k for the same price as a haswell I7 and I went for it. Not a waste at all and I am happy with it. It's not a waste to have a Ford Mustang for a daily driver if you can afford it even though you never use 3/4 of it's power. It's not required to only own a system that JUST meets your minimum requirements...unless you are just limited by a budget.

Wh...What? I think you're getting in a muddle.

Firstly, I said "everything else aside" because I was addressing the logic of what you said. The point of the "throwing money in a fire" example wasn't related to hardware, but simply to demonstrate that a waste is a waste whether it's intentional or not.

Secondly, I didn't once call the 3930k a waste. I'm not sure where you got that from. I said I was curious about his choice of CPU for a gaming rig and the very next reply revealed it was a video rendering rig as well.

Thirdly, at no point did I "insult" anyone's choice of hardware. Even if someone was thin-skinned enough to be insulted by the insinuation that a single component was overkill, I didn't even state as much. I merely said it seemed that way.

By the way, do you realize you're replying to something I said 6 months ago and taking more issue with it than the person I directed it at?

Wh...What? I think you're getting in a muddle.

Firstly, I said "everything else aside" because I was addressing the logic of what you said. The point of the "throwing money in a fire" example wasn't related to hardware, but simply to demonstrate that a waste is a waste whether it's intentional or not.

Secondly, I didn't once call the 3930k a waste. I'm not sure where you got that from. I said I was curious about his choice of CPU for a gaming rig and the very next reply revealed it was a video rendering rig as well.

Thirdly, at no point did I "insult" anyone's choice of hardware. Even if someone was thin-skinned enough to be insulted by the insinuation that a single component was overkill, I didn't even state as much. I merely said it seemed that way.

By the way, do you realize you're replying to something I said 6 months ago and taking more issue with it than the person I directed it at?

I guess you're right. Mah apologies :) I am new to forum-ing and need to learn forum etiquette lol.

No worries. Criticism is generally okay so long as it's not personal and in some way constructive. By saying what I said, either he or other forum members would've found out how they could save money, what was necessary to power 2x 6950s and what's necessary/unnecessary for gaming, or I and other forum members would've found out the reasons and/or benefits to the parts he chose that weren't immediately obvious (in this case, it was a little of column A and a little of column B.)

No worries. Criticism is generally okay so long as it's not personal and in some way constructive. By saying what I said, either he or other forum members would've found out how they could save money, what was necessary to power 2x 6950s and what's necessary/unnecessary for gaming, or I and other forum members would've found out the reasons and/or benefits to the parts he chose that weren't immediately obvious (in this case, it was a little of column A and a little of column B.)

Yeah yeah I see how that can be helpful and needed. Quality but low wattage power supplies do tend to be majorly underestimated.

• 3 weeks later...

Man I wish these fans weren't so friggin ugly.