Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The_Tron

[Somewhat clickbaity title] LG just teased its new 5-camera smartphone less than a week before the official announcement

Posted · Original PosterOP
"
lg v40 thinq
  • LG released a video teasing its new LG V40 ThinQ smartphone with a triple-lens camera system.
  • The video also teases that the V40 ThinQ has a total of five cameras.
  • The video doesn't reveal the functions of each lens.
  • LG will host an event on October 3 to fully reveal the LG V40 ThinQ and its features.

LG's Korean YouTube channel and press site released a video and a press release on Thursday teasing the LG V40 ThinQ: a smartphone that comes with a total of five cameras, compared to the usual two or three.

Here it is:

lg v40 thinq

The LG V40 ThinQ will have a triple camera system on the rear, but a specific scene in the video suggests there will be a total of five cameras, as shown below:

lg v40 thinq

For the rear cameras, one lens will likely have the usual wide angle lens that most smartphones come with, and another is likely to come with an ultra-wide angle lens that's become a signature feature on LG phones. The video doesn't reveal what feature the third lens will have.

In its press release, LG says the V40 ThinQ will come with a 6.4-inch display, which is similar in size to the Galaxy Note 9. It'll be available in three colors, including "Platinum Gray," "Carmine Red," and "Morokan Blue." LG also says the V40 ThinQ will have a "silky" glass back and that the glass is scratch resistant.

To find out more, we'll have to see what LG shows us during its October 3 event.

"

Source: https://www.businessinsider.com/lg-v40-thinq-triple-lens-camera-teaser-video-2018-9

3 minutes ago, The_Tron said:

snip

Please ensure you follow the tech news posting guidelines. Post has been reported.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill

iPhone 8 Plus (Mid 2019 to present)

Samaritan XL (Early 2018 - present with 2019 GPU upgrades) - AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (8C/16T) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 16GB DDR4-3200MHz ,  Asus ROG Strix RX Vega 56 , Corsair RM850i PSU, Corsair H100i v2 CPU Cooler, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 2TB HDD (2018), Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD (2014), NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML 140 Pro

7 minutes ago, The_Tron said:
The LG V40 ThinQ will have a triple camera system on the rear, but a specific scene in the video suggests there will be a total of five cameras, as shown below:
lg v40 thinq

Maybe this is only intended to show the possible modes of operation?

...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Maybe this is only intended to show the possible modes of operation?

...which is why I included "somewhat clickbaity title"?

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Please ensure you follow the tech news posting guidelines. Post has been reported.

Please ensure you follow the Community Standards, as backseat moderation is not allowed. ;)

• Do not backseat moderate – if there’s an issue, please use the report function. This includes responses such as "Off topic", "spam", "advertising", "status update material" etc; leave it for the mod team to handle.

@The_Tron I know it seems somewhat pedantic, but please use the text editor's built-in quotes feature to encapsulate content quoted from the source you link. It is technically a stipulation of the section's posting requirements, in order to more clearly distinguish between quoted and original content.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Just now, Whiskers said:

Please ensure you follow the Community Standards, as backseat moderation is not allowed. ;)

I reported the post....

Just now, Whiskers said:

@The_Tron I know it seems somewhat pedantic, but please use the text editor's built-in quotes feature to encapsulate content quoted from the source you link. It is technically a stipulation of the section's posting requirements, in order to more clearly distinguish between quoted and original content.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill

Samaritan XL (Early 2018 - present with 2019 GPU upgrades) - AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (8C/16T) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 16GB DDR4-3200MHz ,  Asus ROG Strix RX Vega 56 , Corsair RM850i PSU, Corsair H100i v2 CPU Cooler, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 2TB HDD (2018), Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD (2014), NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML 140 Pro

4 minutes ago, The_Tron said:

...which is why I included "somewhat clickbaity title"?

I'm not complaining, I'm just making a hypothesis :P 

...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

2 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

can i please get a phone that is thicker with an actually good lens and a single large sensor, thank you (similar to the lumia one with optical zoom)

Yeah. Idek why manufacturers are trying to put so many cameras on phones -_-.

All I need is 1 good rear camera and 1 good front camera lol.

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

I fancy the idea of one wideangle camera and one telephoto camera though o_o it's almost like owning two lenses on one (phone) body

4 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

can i please get a phone that is thicker with an actually good lens and a single large sensor, thank you (similar to the lumia one with optical zoom)

Nature has you on that... bugs have both multiple lenses per eye, and multiple eyes... though they don't take photos... so I'll give nature a pass, and hope LG copies the *right* parts, not the bug eyed ones. xD

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I reported the post....

Yes, however the last part of the rule is quite important:

...etc; leave it for the mod team to handle.

If you believe a member to have broken a rule of the Community Standards or indeed section-specific posting requirements, please leave it for the mod team alone to handle.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

i'm by no means a professional photographer, but the cameras on my Xperia XA2 are pretty decent (given the price of the phone), which i guess should be expected from sony given their relationship with cameras.

only thing i wish it was was optical zoom instead of shitty digital zoom

Honestly, I don’t know if they’ve solved my biggest gripe with LG phone cameras; The downgrade in sensor size

Since the G5, the sensor size seems to have gotten smaller. The G5 had a 1/2.6” IMX234 with a 16MP MP resolution on a 16:9 aspect ratio resulting in a pixel size of 1.12 microns. The V20 got smaller at 1/2.8” due to the use of an IMX298 (same sensor used on the OnePlus 3/3T), but kept the same resolution and similar pixel size probably due to the move to a 4:3 aspect ratio.

The G6 and V30 were really odd though. The latter dropped to a 1/3” IMX258 sensor with a pixel size of 1.12 microns with a 13MP resolution whilst the V30 had an even smaller 1/3.1” IMX351 with a higher 16MP res and a smaller 1 micron pixel size.

As much as I like multi-cameras, I feel that the primary camera is steadily going backwards in that regard. 1/2.6” is the minimum for most flagships now, with Apple even embracing the 1/2.6” 12.2MP 1.4-micron sensor.

Please tag me if you need assistance or if you want me to contribute to a topic 

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5

But iz will have a notch. 

Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB | Mouse: Zowie S1 | OS: Windows 10

15 minutes ago, Whiskers said:

I know it seems somewhat pedantic, but please use the text editor's built-in quotes feature to encapsulate content quoted from the source you link. It is technically a stipulation of the section's posting requirements, in order to more clearly distinguish between quoted and original content.

also want to point out: the good side effect of putting them in quotes is that commenters who quote the entire comment/post won't be quoting the long parts, as the blanket reply button omits quotes (if nothing is manually selected for a "reply to this part")

so pls quotebox

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

I wouldnt mind 3 on the back for Zoom, standard, wide. No fucking clue what 2 more would give me. 

Probably on the front. One for wide angle and one for standard focal length shots

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Probably on the front. One for wide angle and one for standard focal length shots

Oh I thought the OP was 5 on the back lol.

Yeah no I am fine with 3 on the back and standard and wide on the front. I see the use case for it. 

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Oh I thought the OP was 5 on the back lol.

Yeah no I am fine with 3 on the back and standard and wide on the front. I see the use case for it. 

Yeah, it really does look like 3 on the rear and 2 on the front.

Knowing LG, the main array’s probably going to be a primary camera supplemented by 2 modules dedicated to wide-angle and zooming.

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM