[Somewhat clickbaity title] LG just teased its new 5-camera smartphone less than a week before the official announcement

The_Tron
"
lg v40 thinq
  • LG released a video teasing its new LG V40 ThinQ smartphone with a triple-lens camera system.
  • The video also teases that the V40 ThinQ has a total of five cameras.
  • The video doesn't reveal the functions of each lens.
  • LG will host an event on October 3 to fully reveal the LG V40 ThinQ and its features.

LG's Korean YouTube channel and press site released a video and a press release on Thursday teasing the LG V40 ThinQ: a smartphone that comes with a total of five cameras, compared to the usual two or three.

Here it is:

lg v40 thinq

The LG V40 ThinQ will have a triple camera system on the rear, but a specific scene in the video suggests there will be a total of five cameras, as shown below:

lg v40 thinq

For the rear cameras, one lens will likely have the usual wide angle lens that most smartphones come with, and another is likely to come with an ultra-wide angle lens that's become a signature feature on LG phones. The video doesn't reveal what feature the third lens will have.

In its press release, LG says the V40 ThinQ will come with a 6.4-inch display, which is similar in size to the Galaxy Note 9. It'll be available in three colors, including "Platinum Gray," "Carmine Red," and "Morokan Blue." LG also says the V40 ThinQ will have a "silky" glass back and that the glass is scratch resistant.

To find out more, we'll have to see what LG shows us during its October 3 event.

"

Source: https://www.businessinsider.com/lg-v40-thinq-triple-lens-camera-teaser-video-2018-9

3 minutes ago, The_Tron said:

snip

Please ensure you follow the tech news posting guidelines. Post has been reported.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 minutes ago, The_Tron said:
The LG V40 ThinQ will have a triple camera system on the rear, but a specific scene in the video suggests there will be a total of five cameras, as shown below:
lg v40 thinq

Maybe this is only intended to show the possible modes of operation?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Maybe this is only intended to show the possible modes of operation?

...which is why I included "somewhat clickbaity title"?

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Please ensure you follow the tech news posting guidelines. Post has been reported.

Please ensure you follow the Community Standards, as backseat moderation is not allowed. ;)

• Do not backseat moderate – if there’s an issue, please use the report function. This includes responses such as "Off topic", "spam", "advertising", "status update material" etc; leave it for the mod team to handle.

@The_Tron I know it seems somewhat pedantic, but please use the text editor's built-in quotes feature to encapsulate content quoted from the source you link. It is technically a stipulation of the section's posting requirements, in order to more clearly distinguish between quoted and original content.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Just now, Whiskers said:

Please ensure you follow the Community Standards, as backseat moderation is not allowed. ;)

I reported the post....

Just now, Whiskers said:

@The_Tron I know it seems somewhat pedantic, but please use the text editor's built-in quotes feature to encapsulate content quoted from the source you link. It is technically a stipulation of the section's posting requirements, in order to more clearly distinguish between quoted and original content.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

4 minutes ago, The_Tron said:

...which is why I included "somewhat clickbaity title"?

I'm not complaining, I'm just making a hypothesis :P 

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

can i please get a phone that is thicker with an actually good lens and a single large sensor, thank you (similar to the lumia one with optical zoom)

Yeah. Idek why manufacturers are trying to put so many cameras on phones -_-.

All I need is 1 good rear camera and 1 good front camera lol.

4 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

can i please get a phone that is thicker with an actually good lens and a single large sensor, thank you (similar to the lumia one with optical zoom)

Nature has you on that... bugs have both multiple lenses per eye, and multiple eyes... though they don't take photos... so I'll give nature a pass, and hope LG copies the *right* parts, not the bug eyed ones. xD

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I reported the post....

Yes, however the last part of the rule is quite important:

...etc; leave it for the mod team to handle.

If you believe a member to have broken a rule of the Community Standards or indeed section-specific posting requirements, please leave it for the mod team alone to handle.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

i'm by no means a professional photographer, but the cameras on my Xperia XA2 are pretty decent (given the price of the phone), which i guess should be expected from sony given their relationship with cameras.

only thing i wish it was was optical zoom instead of shitty digital zoom

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Honestly, I don’t know if they’ve solved my biggest gripe with LG phone cameras; The downgrade in sensor size

Since the G5, the sensor size seems to have gotten smaller. The G5 had a 1/2.6” IMX234 with a 16MP MP resolution on a 16:9 aspect ratio resulting in a pixel size of 1.12 microns. The V20 got smaller at 1/2.8” due to the use of an IMX298 (same sensor used on the OnePlus 3/3T), but kept the same resolution and similar pixel size probably due to the move to a 4:3 aspect ratio.

The G6 and V30 were really odd though. The latter dropped to a 1/3” IMX258 sensor with a pixel size of 1.12 microns with a 13MP resolution whilst the V30 had an even smaller 1/3.1” IMX351 with a higher 16MP res and a smaller 1 micron pixel size.

As much as I like multi-cameras, I feel that the primary camera is steadily going backwards in that regard. 1/2.6” is the minimum for most flagships now, with Apple even embracing the 1/2.6” 12.2MP 1.4-micron sensor.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

But iz will have a notch. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

9 minutes ago, alexbsajackson said:

The most I can justly see on a phone is 3.

1 Front Facing and 2 Rear.

Why would anyone need 5?

I wouldnt mind 3 on the back for Zoom, standard, wide. No fucking clue what 2 more would give me. 

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

I wouldnt mind 3 on the back for Zoom, standard, wide. No fucking clue what 2 more would give me. 

Probably on the front. One for wide angle and one for standard focal length shots

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Probably on the front. One for wide angle and one for standard focal length shots

Oh I thought the OP was 5 on the back lol.

Yeah no I am fine with 3 on the back and standard and wide on the front. I see the use case for it. 

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Oh I thought the OP was 5 on the back lol.

Yeah no I am fine with 3 on the back and standard and wide on the front. I see the use case for it. 

Yeah, it really does look like 3 on the rear and 2 on the front.

Knowing LG, the main array’s probably going to be a primary camera supplemented by 2 modules dedicated to wide-angle and zooming.

22 minutes ago, Arika S said:

i'm by no means a professional photographer, but the cameras on my Xperia XA2 are pretty decent (given the price of the phone), which i guess should be expected from sony given their relationship with cameras.

The irony is that the camera has been my gripe with Sony flagship phones for the past few years.

It’s not that they’re terrible. It’s just that they have access to the very best their image sensor division could muster and have a camera division pumping out seriously incredible cameras (I own and use an a6000) but for some reason, their phone division pairs what should be a phenomenal sensor with really subpar software processing.

It’s really not uncommon until recently to see everyone else using Sony’s camera sensors smoke Sony themselves in terms of overall performance. The good thing is that they seem to have finally gotten the message since the XZ1. Too bad their phones went too far down the drain for me to ever consider them again.

Also, they didn’t include RAW support with their phones, which means no HDR+

12 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

imagine tele on the front o_o for plucking nose hairs?

Spoiler

My cat layed on my iPad and this is what happened.

52 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

But iz will have a notch. 

It will, with 2 cameras. You can hide it but I don't still approve it. 

53 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Honestly, I don’t know if they’ve solved my biggest gripe with LG phone cameras; The downgrade in sensor size

Since the G5, the sensor size seems to have gotten smaller. The G5 had a 1/2.6” IMX234 with a 16MP MP resolution on a 16:9 aspect ratio resulting in a pixel size of 1.12 microns. The V20 got smaller at 1/2.8” due to the use of an IMX298 (same sensor used on the OnePlus 3/3T), but kept the same resolution and similar pixel size probably due to the move to a 4:3 aspect ratio.

The G6 and V30 were really odd though. The latter dropped to a 1/3” IMX258 sensor with a pixel size of 1.12 microns with a 13MP resolution whilst the V30 had an even smaller 1/3.1” IMX351 with a higher 16MP res and a smaller 1 micron pixel size.

As much as I like multi-cameras, I feel that the primary camera is steadily going backwards in that regard. 1/2.6” is the minimum for most flagships now, with Apple even embracing the 1/2.6” 12.2MP 1.4-micron sensor.

The thing is, even with 1 micron, V30 had better camera than G6. It is still behind Pixel, S9 or P20 even with GCAM, and even more on low light, except Pixel, it sucks as well in low light. It sucks most of the time, no argument. I expect big improvements on main camera. 

1 hour ago, alexbsajackson said:

The most I can justly see on a phone is 3.

1 Front Facing and 2 Rear.

Why would anyone need 5?

On the back, 1 is main, 1 is wide for 120+ degree view (amazingly useful), and 1 is telephoto which is the one you want for zoom. Also for the gimmick called for booked effect imo. It all depends on what you want. I use wide most of the time, more people want telephoto. Here we have everything. Maybe telephoto on front? No iea. 

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

You might wanna learn what each camera does. Look at my answer up. You want 1? Look at pixel 2XL, amazing for normal shots, still the best as well, and only 1 camera, but sucks at zoom. That's why you need telephoto. Wide is LGs trademark, and I so much love it. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own.