1st Build - Ironhide

post-7546-0-29249800-1420870564_thumb.pn

This will be my first proper rig. My aim is to get as good a machine as I can afford since my budget's pretty tight as I'm a college student without a job.

I've had a really good laptop IMO for a year or so; ASUS N55SL, but I've decided it's much more practical for me to have a desktop instead as I never actually moved the laptop from my desk.

I make videos which I put up on YouTube, hence the i7 for a boost in rendering.

Specs:          Arrived

• Intel 2600K
  • MSI MPower Z77
  • Corsair H90
  • Corsair XMS3 1600 MHz 4 x 2GB
  • Corsair AX850
  • Corsair individually sleeved cable kit
  • Corsair AF140 x 3
  • Seagate Barracuda 2TB SSHD
  • EVGA GTX 670 2GB
  • Fractal Design Define R4
  • Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium

Apologies?

I know that the AX850 for this system is overkill but I got a good deal (66% off) and better to get a really good PSU that will last future upgrades than buying the one with 'enough' wattage for the current system.

I would've got a H100 but I had my doubts about whether it'd fit in the R4.

The AF140's aren't designed for static pressure but Corsair HASN'T MADE ANY DARN SP140'S, *clears throat*, so I've used an AF140 in pull for the H90 and put the other two in the front.

The 2600K idles at ~26°C and has yet to hit 70°C with ~19°C room temperature.

An SSD would've been nice but I felt that I could do without for a while. I need space for all those ​legally obtained movies and TV shows.

I have them on DVD, somewhere.

Lighting:

I bought a cool white LED strip which I cut to the right lengths. It's wired up to a control board comprising of a variable resistor for the top and the bottom strip for dimming and a switch to turn both off completely. I took this approach since I'd rather have my rig lit elegantly and also to allow me to sleep if I'm leaving it on to download overnight.

Modifications:

I sanded down my optical drive and gave it a couple coats of black to keep it as low a profile as possible.

I also switched out the blue LED that illuminates the ring around the power button for a white one. As simple as taking the front of the R4 off, pealing off the glue, pulling the old LED out of it's hole, de-soldering, soldering the new one, heat shrink and pushing it back in with a dab of glue for good measure.

Housekeeping to-do list:

• Get rid of the yellow accents on the MPower ✓
  • Install the 670 and re-organize cables in the back ✓
  • Fix the R4's power switch ✓

Future Upgrades:

• Dell U2414H x 2
  • Corsair Vengeance 2100's ✓
  • Corsair RGB K70 with MX Browns (LED's set to white) 
  • SP140 for the H90?
  • SSD ✓
  • GTX 980 w/ Reference Cooler

HTC One Pictures:

2014_01_08.jpg 2014_02_18.jpg2014_02_18_1.jpg 2014_02_18_2.jpg 1395430574041.jpg

Glamour shots coming soon...

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

Update
I've now got my 670FTW installed, fixed the power button, redone the lighting control board and cable managed everything properly.
Clipboard_20140322.jpgCaptured frame from my video of the build progressing.
The Plastidipping didn't go so well so I just took the plates off. While taking off the masking tape I bent 4 pins in the socket  :o
so I had to use a mechanical pencil and bend 'em back. Works fine now though.

2014_03_21.jpg
That's the build in it's current state. Just waiting for a chance to get @ScottS1 to take the glamour shots.

Here's a video if you're interested:

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

So Ironhide died a little while ago. After much testing it seemed like the motherboard gave up. RMA'd it with MSI and got it back a couple weeks ago but it seems that when it died it took my 2600k with it too.

I got no-where with getting a replacement from Amazon and haven't the money to replace the 2600k so for now I'm on an old dual core Celeron that used to run Vista but now runs Linux Mint.

Just gotta save up some money and get that fixed. Oh the joys.

Also the old machine was quite loud due to the fan vibrations, here's how I fixed that...

2014_06_07.jpg

For that money i would be wanting a better GPU imo. and think about going full AMD way more bang for buck

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Where did you get those parts O.o they are sooo cheap

Mostly eBay, used in good condition or open box

Mostly eBay, used in good condition or open box

Ok thanks

I shall look forward to the build's completetion. Looks pretty sweet.

If you regard my facts as wrong, feel free to rectify it.

——————————————————————————

If you regard my opinions as wrong, feel free to ignore it.

Maybe Bitfenix Alchemy LED strips?

Sorry for my bad English!
i5-4590 | Sabertooth Z97 mk2 | Intel HD 4600 | ADATA XPG V1 2x4GB 1600MHz CL9 | Intel 530 120GB | Cooler Master N600 | Seasonic G-450 | Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 | Win8.1 Pro x64

Sounds awesome, stoked! 

Does this mean, that we can also expect an Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Jazz and Ratchet as a build? :D

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Sounds awesome, stoked! 

Does this mean, that we can also expect an Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Jazz and Ratchet as a build? :D

All the builds named the names of cars that were in Transformers :D

Sorry for my bad English!
i5-4590 | Sabertooth Z97 mk2 | Intel HD 4600 | ADATA XPG V1 2x4GB 1600MHz CL9 | Intel 530 120GB | Cooler Master N600 | Seasonic G-450 | Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 | Win8.1 Pro x64

All the builds named the names of cars that were in Transformers :D

Exactly :D

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Sounds awesome, stoked! 

@ScottS1 was saying to me that we could name his build Jazz and our friends build (He's coming over to the idea of letting us build it) I believe will be called Ratchet.

@ScottS1 was saying to me that we could name his build Jazz and our friends build (He's coming over to the idea of letting us build it) I believe will be called Ratchet.

My sweetest dreams become reality 

vIm1EWB.gif

looking forward to the build, Very cheap ! Idk how you did it so cheap but, wow.

Firstly,

I got a call from the guys meant to be delivering my R4, to cut a long story short they got shipped the wrong case, twice. They were first sent the non-windowed Titanium R4, they sent it back and then they were sent the white windowed R4.

The guy on the phone was really nice and asked me if I'd like to cancel my order or I can wait a week for the right one to arrive. I chose to wait, I didn't get mad at the guy on the phone as he was just doing his job it's the idiots that were further up the line.

Secondly,

My order containing the cooling (H90, fans) hasn't arrived. According to the tracking the courier picked it up around 2PM yesterday. If it arrives today it won't be too bad but it's still late.

Lastly,

My brand new HTC One from 3 UK which I was given for Xmas died Monday. I left it with WiFi off and with ~80% charge on my nightstand for a few hours. When I came back it was dead. Wouldn't turn on, wouldn't hard boot, wouldn't charge. No flicker of life at all. So that's going off to HTC Sunday.

So no photo's until this time next week at the soonest.

So the plan has changed, again.

The cooling arrived today, 2 days late but Amazon must've given the courier a kick.

However upon building the system to test it won't post. Stuck in a boot loop first, I figured out that dimm slot 3 was causing that.

Anyways after searching I found that a lot of people have issues with this Mobo and decided that at the end of the month I'll just get the MPower. 

This Pic is to help the thread :

Pls note GPU/Case/Cable Kit may differ:

1525420_10202215633105721_1643627674_n.j

Case: | TT Core x71 | Mobo: | Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 | Cpu: 13600K | 1.310V | P-Core 5.7GHZ | E-Core 3.2GHZ | Cpu Block: EK Quantum Velocity2 | Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 4x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Gpu: Gigabyte GTX G1 970 Bios Hacked 1.275V | Gpu Block: EK | Cooling: Custom Loop | Rads: 4 | PSU: Corsair RM 1000w

• 1 month later...

Huge overhaul to main post, including pictures and the system is running.

What is that thing.. looks like a small circuit board mounted on the side of your 5.25" bay with what looks like a molex connector?

and nice build.  I too have an R4.  Check mine out when you have time.

What is that thing.. looks like a small circuit board mounted on the side of your 5.25" bay with what looks like a molex connector?

and nice build.  I too have an R4.  Check mine out when you have time.

Exactly what it is. It's to power and control my lighting. So I can dim either one, both or turn them off.

Just taken a look, nice under glow! Those cables will look really good with the sleeving you're planning.

Little update:

My EVGA GTX670 has been sent on it's way to the RMA centre in Germany. Let's hope the turn around is quick and it get's there in one piece. (Going from Scotland to Germany then back again)

Fractal Design have dispatched a replacement part (power switch) for the R4, so that should be arriving this week.

I've ordered the white plasti-dip to paint those yellow accents on the MPower.

I've been re-thinking my custom lighting so I'll be changing that soon too.

That's it for now. Maybe by the end of next week I'll have everything sorted and then I'll have @ScottS1 take pictures with the DSLR.