NAS RAID HELP!

RatManDom

OK I am looking into buying a NAS RAID setup,

what HDD's should I look at? the iornwolf looks like the only pure option of drive with massive size since ssd are small sized in many ways and nippy. Sinology looks like the best maker of like a 12 bay and probably overall the best?

I want this for gaming and massive storage, I am also thinking about upgrading my internet router for a alien ASUS gaming SHI* madness!

I am on the Virgin media Connection 350Mb package here is a photo from uswitch speed test, so a nas raid plus new router will be fun to play games from a far and at college because I am a cool guy.

5bad17d5c0247_AreInternetSpeed.thumb.jpg.058ecb46842f77d405dffe88d86b8f3b.jpg

I'm not sure how well gaming off a NAS will go. As for drives, IronWolfs or WD Reds I'd say.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

15 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Don't get a gaming router, its marketing bs and really won't help you here.

Qft. Just get a good simple and powerfull router like a Edge Router Lite. Cheap and will beat anything "gaming" for speed and ability to setup like you want it :D

On 9/27/2018 at 6:53 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

How much storage do you need? What speed do you need? IOPS?

Network connection type?

Don't get a gaming router, its marketing bs and really won't help you here.

how does the IOPS measure what do you do on that one, with the NAS?

Network connection type virgin media hub 3.0 and the fiber go's straight into the box, IDK about this stuff today-I have started a gaming course today and I was looking at john carmack and thinking is it possible one day. man my family is not dumb and I am the brightest trust I retain info lol. But I don't understand this stuff yet.

What router would you recommend and why, and even if its worth buying one over the virgin media hub 3.0?

On 9/27/2018 at 6:58 PM, tikker said:

I'm not sure how well gaming off a NAS will go. As for drives, IronWolfs or WD Reds I'd say.

Prices/quality.... WD VS Ironwolf?

give me a break down please

On 9/27/2018 at 7:09 PM, Dujith said:

Qft. Just get a good simple and powerfull router like a Edge Router Lite. Cheap and will beat anything "gaming" for speed and ability to setup like you want it :D

what am I looking at on routers what should I be ready to buy some time?

Thank you people for the reply's Linus is a cool guy and this forum is cool like him!

52 minutes ago, RatManDom said:

You gonna answer the questions? That really helps pick a nas.

51 minutes ago, RatManDom said:

There basically the same, Id get whats cheaper.

16 hours ago, RatManDom said:

15 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

^ This.

IronWolfs are usually a little bit cheaper (think of the order of 10, maybe 20), use a little bit more power and maybe make a slightly more noise and spin at 5900 RPM instead of 5400, none of which is probably going to matter that much.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

On 10/2/2018 at 1:07 AM, Electronics Wizardy said:

You gonna answer the questions? That really helps pick a nas.

SORRY The question from me was in the grey box for some reason, here it is repeated again.

Network connection type virgin media hub 3.0 and the fiber go's straight into the box, IDK about this stuff today-I have started a gaming course today and I was looking at john carmack and thinking is it possible one day. man my family is not dumb and I am the brightest trust I retain info lol. But I don't understand this stuff yet.

What router would you recommend and why, and even if its worth buying one over the virgin media hub 3.0?

Here is a quote from some one on my ISP provider forum.

I think this looks like good information.

If you are looking for the best hardware to buy I would suggest Ubiquiti. Their routers are just routers (look up the definition of router in a dictionary), they do not contain a network switch or a Wireless Access Point. For the latter I would suggest Ubiquiti UniFi PoE switches and Ubiquiti WAPs. I currently use a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite, 3 Ubiquiti PoE switches and 2 Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC Pros, also running UniFi NVR and cameras.

50 minutes ago, RatManDom said:

SORRY The question from me was in the grey box for some reason, here it is repeated again.

The NAS config really depends on the use, and IOPS needs is a indicator of use.

What are you using the nas for?

Do you want external access? You ISP won't make a difference if you don't

What do you need your router to do? The included one is fine for most home users, so id look at a better one if you need features.

10 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

The NAS config really depends on the use, and IOPS needs is a indicator of use.

What are you using the nas for?

Do you want external access? You ISP won't make a difference if you don't

What do you need your router to do? The included one is fine for most home users, so id look at a better one if you need features.

To further expand on the questions above:

How much storage do you need?

Is redundancy required (aka allow for replacement of a failed disk if there is a drive failure)?

Please answer Electronics' and my questions so we can provide a proper answer. 

Also, as people said above the "gaming" router is just marketing wank. Don't buy into it. There are plenty of fantastic routers out there that don;t cost a lot. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

So I want my NAS to play games high end games, and save the saves. what raid number would be best, maybe I could have the saves saved to a could on auto settings for a true back up.

I guess external access would be good so I could game on the go at college, or what ever I want to do.

Questions sorry I am very new to this.

What would I need to extend my internet about the house WI-FI wise and not loose much power?

What devices will I need, we have fiber straight to the door through a fiber cable?

What are switches I know that probably sounds very dumb but what should I be looking at?

Do you guys have a good video to watch explaining all the different internet devices that I could use, man I think I will look at the maker Ubiquiti website and type in the different devices they sell? I would learn about that in no time probably.

And yeah I saw Linus talking about the term "GAMING" that was funny it's getting a joke "GAMING"

You cannot play games from a NAS. You will have horrible read and write speeds unless you do a full 10Gb network, latency will be high as well along with disk access times. For game saves use the steam cloud or backup the folders of said games to the NAS. In regards to wireless, it does not offer proper speeds you require. Every foot you get away from the router you will get decreased speeds. At that point you basically need a router for every other room in your home. As it is, I have 6 routers to cover my 4000 square foot home.  On wireless the speeds are no where near as fast full gigabit speeds. If you were in need of a network to your NAS the best method would be hard wired. 

My house is setup using a Synology 1817+ w/ a 10Gb card, 8 6TB drives and have that redundantly backed up to a second 1817+

The NAS is configured to us a variant of RAID 6 for maximum redundancy allowed. 

We then have an 8 port 10Gb switch which is routes to certain rooms that require the highest network speed. Everything else is routed via a 24 port gigabit switch. 

Each room has 3 runs. 1 for TV, 2 for computers. Of which our home has 5 rooms. 

Just to do the cabling required cost nearly 10k. Are you willing to drop that kind of cash? That does not include the cost of NAS, cost of wireless routers, switches, our firewall, and the NAS' themselves. 

Even with this setup I cannot reliably use the NAS for gaming. Additionally, some games will not allow you to install onto a network drive. Even if you have the drive mounted via iSCSI to make it seem like a locally mounted drive. I forgot to add I got stuttering in the games even after attempting this. It "worked" but like I said was no where near ideal. Furthermore I could not get games to be used at the same time. The resources in the games were locked to whatever machine was using it. 

Now, for game saves I just have those synced up to the NAS can play on any computer I want. The only issue is if the network goes down while the game is saving it will corrupt the save. The same goes for if you experience any form of packet loss. Possible if a switch goes bad or something else happens on the network. 

I have heard of people getting it to work but it just never did for me. As for why I will never know. So it is just easier to go local. 

If you are going to do something for gaming, have your gaming system with plenty of storage. 

So, with that all being said, WHY do you want a NAS for gaming? Do you not have enough storage? Are just trying to offload your games somewhere else? What is the purpose you are trying to achieve with this setup? You have not been vary clear and it seems even you are not clear in what objective you want to come to. 

Edited by Lord Xeb
Added some information I forgot after thinking on this topic.

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

• 2 weeks later...

Mans that's very interesting, I am looking at this nas raid 5.

Synology DiskStation DS2415+

And I don't know what Network equipment I would need? I did see this HyperSpin Build https://www.hyperarcadesystems.com/

Thats is 24tb and it does support NAS.

I want the ironwolf 8tb and fill it up slowly(12 bays).

Like what network equipment should I be looking at, I need to learn about this youtube should help.

Why do you need so much storage? Honestly, the Synology will work very well. I have the 8 bay variant it is very reliable and offers plenty of throughput. Synology NAS are really quite capable systems. I have had the same one I am using now installed in a business of 50 people. Worked fine. Regularly there was at least 25-30 people on the NAS doing something at any point in time. No complaints. 

This is what you need to look at:

What is that this NAS will be used for?

How much storage do I need?

What kind of data will my nas be used for?

Is throughput more important than size?

How many uses will be connected to the nas?

If you have that many disks DO NOT use RAID 5. Use either RAID 6 or something similar. During a rebuild with that many drives the likelihood of another drive dropping off is very high. 

Also, the bigger the drives, the more data there is to move. The more data to move the higher chance a drive can fail. I really do not like uses 8TB drives if it can be avoided. Ever try imaging just a healthy one? It takes nearly 18-20 hours. If a drive is failing that is a long time to have the drive thrashing about. 

This is a reply I got from some one who makes the setup for the hyperspin build I am looking at.

Well in general, with hyperspin, since everything is loaded into ram. THere really isnt any latency since the game isnt being streamed. But I guess, depending on the network everything is being sent over, it would probably be at least marginally slower than sata or usb 3 during the transfer. So I guess that is something to keep in mind.