We got a $5,500 TAPE DRIVE!

nicklmg

Not gonna lie, I'd love to have one of those. Another great video LMG! :D

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Current Rig (Dominator II): 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3133 C15, AMD Ryzen 3 1200 at 4GHz, Coolermaster MasterLiquid Lite 120, ASRock B450M Pro4, AMD R9 280X, 120GB TCSunBow SSD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HSD, Corsair CX750M Grey Label, Windows 10 Pro, 2x CoolerMaster MasterFan Pro 120, Thermaltake Versa H18 Tempered Glass.

Previous Rig (Black Magic): 8GB DDR3 1600, AMD FX6300 OC'd to 4.5GHz, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Asus M5A78L-M PLUS /USB3, GTX 950 SC (former, it blew my PCIe lane so now on mobo graphics which is Radeon HD 3000 Series), 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200RPM HDD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HDD (secondary), Corsair CX750M, Windows 8.1 Pro, 2x 120mm Red LED fans, Deepcool SMARTER case

My secondary rig (The Oldie): 4GB DDR2 800, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz, Stock Dell Cooler, Foxconn 0RY007, AMD Radeon HD 5450, 250GB Samsung Spinpoint 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management. UPDATE: SPECS UPGRADED DUE TO CASEMOD, 8GB DDR2 800, AMD Phenom X4 9650, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Biostar GF8200C M2+, AMD Radeon HD 7450 GDDR5 edition, Samsung Spinpoint 250GB 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management and support for non Dell boards.

Retired/Dead Rigs: The OG (retired) (First ever PC I used at 3 years old back in 2005) Current Specs: 2GB DDR2, Pentium M 770 @ 2.13GHz, 60GB IDE laptop HDD, ZorinOS 12 Ultimate x86. Originally 512mb DDR2, Pentium M 740 @ 1.73GHzm 60GB IDE laptop HDD and single boot XP Pro. The Craptop (dead), 2gb DDR3, Celeron n2840 @ 2.1GHz, 50GB eMMC chip, Windows 10 Pro. Nightrider (dead and cannibalized for Dominator II): Ryzen 3 1200, Gigabyte A320M HD2, 8GB DDR4, XFX Ghost Core Radeon HD 7770, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 (2010), 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Corsair CX750M Green, Deepcool SMARTER, Windows 10 Home.

I would love too see you making whole infrastructure in your studio <3

Quote me so I can reply <3

And now you need to make and enforce a manual backup policy for your vault. At least, though, once you commit something to your vault, you only need to back up whatever is new, so the backups become much faster after the initial data drop.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

It's time for another robotic project. :D Maybe a Lego autofeeder

And a slight correction to what you said about the tarball. You didn't need to "wrap" the files in a tarball before writing to the tape. You instead used tar as the intermediate command: "tar cv [path/to/back/up] | [command to write to tape". And a similar command to reverse it. Provided the command to read and write from the tape could use the stdin and stdout streams.

On Unix, you'd probably just be reading from and writing to the device interface -- e.g. "tar cv [path/to/back/up] > /dev/tape01".

Definitely not as neat and clear as what you're doing, though.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

" about 6000 dollars "

price tag shows 5499 dollars

you're only 500 bucks off

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

7 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Damn I do too

obvious /s here

bro , i just came into the thread just to tag you in , seems like you jumped in on the sh*t way early than me!  xD

Details separate people.

I used to run a Travan drive back in the day when I had my Windows95 machine. I kept a full system backup and would refresh it regularly. CD burners were slow as molasses (1x) and ran $1000 back then, but a cheap HP Travan drive hooked up to the IDE daisy chained worked great for backing up my boot partition. Every time a rogue download messed up Windows I'd just run a restore job, the tape would spin through until it got to the part with the problem file, replace it with the non-corrupt version on tape and my system was back up and running in as little as maybe 10 minutes. It was easy to use and it was bulletproof - I loved that thing sooo much.

The other great benefit with tape drives when restoring stuff is that they will read linearly too. So big movie files will get written to your hard drive quickly without the tape having to seek back and forth like it would with many smaller files. With an entire drive/partition it will just stream from one end of the tape to the other - very quick depending on your drive size. Verify operations will also run quickly too because it's the files on the tape as they are being read linearly are compared to the file properties of the file on the hard drive. When they don't match it means either the tape copy operation failed or the file on disk has been changed/corrupted.

If I was going the tape drive route today though I'd just invest in a cheap LSI SAS card and get an internal LTO tape drive. Those can be had for $3300 - WAY CHEAPER than what Linus purchased. Option B is to get an external USB3.0 tape drive, which not only solves the Windows compatibility issues with TB3, but can also be used with a laptop.

It's pretty simple to get a dedicated miniITX tape drive build done. Just install the tape drive where your optical burner would normally go in your case and plug a SAS card into the PCI slot. Assuming the mobo has 10GBE you should be good to go.

1 hour ago, Shreyas1 said:

" about 6000 dollars "

price tag shows 5499 dollars

you're only 500 bucks off

Taxes, shipping... A tax rate of 6% would easily push it very close to $6000 with $170 left for shipping costs before it goes over $6K.

So no he was correct.

5 hours ago, poochyena said:

How do the costs compare for each medium?

Referring to vs DVDs/Blu-rays?

If so

The cheapest 100 pack of DVDs is about $20 at 4.4GB or 0.44TB or $550 for 12TB

The cheapest 12TB tape is $200 +- https://www.amazon.com/IBM-01PL041-LTO-8-Ultrium-12TB/dp/B079YLWNZ6

The cheapest Bluray discs are about $20 for 25/25GB or about .625TB or $385 for 12TB

The cheapest HDD way would likely be shucking lol... $150 per 8TB so about $225 for 12TB

Whatever you do DON'T GET HP I've had it with HP. I'm looking into getting an IBM TS3200.

I'm also having to make a software in-house as well because the type of archiving software I'm looking for doesn't exist.

8 hours ago, Arika S said:

Tape-drive RAID server for your editors when?

Imagine the noooiiiiseee!!! I mean it's not possible to do, but THE NOIIISEEE :x

Tape drive LTT video; dividing the old from the young :D 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

20 minutes ago, Ross Siggers said:

Imagine the noooiiiiseee!!! I mean it's not possible to do, but THE NOIIISEEE :x

Tape drive LTT video; dividing the old from the young :D 

Thanks for the Reminder of the good old days xD

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

please tell me you will keep the tapes off-site in a secure location??

If you run out of tape looks like you left some on your iMac Pro. 

It's kind of stupid to have it with just Thunderbolt , at 5500$ ...

When 10 gbps network cards are available at retail from around 70$ and up, I would think it would be a way more compatible and future proof connectivity method. Hell, at that price point, they could even bundle in the box a separate a 10gbps pci-e network card for the systems that don't have a 10gbps card built in. This way, they wouldn't limit connectivity to Apple and systems with Intel cpus.  

But even if the customer doesn't want or can't make hardware changes to the system, I'd wager to say even connected to a 1 gbps network port, it wouldn't be a big loss when dumping the data to tape ... after all the advertised speeds are up to 300 MB/s but I'm sure it's not constant, the write speeds would fluctuate a lot. 

Even regular usb 3 is perfectly capable of up to around 3-4 gbps (2-300 MB/s), though perhaps with slightly more cpu usage, and usb 3 I'd say is well supported on everything.

They're probably paying around 40-50$ per device in the Thunderbolt chips and cable and licensing anyway, it's not much like the BOM price would be much bigger if they went with regular ethernet.

Sound to me more like a marketing thing, or to please the Apple market which needs something to plug in Thunderbolt ports.

How did you notice throttling in Google Drive? Is it upload, download or latency during use? We are actually storing more then 150 TB and did not notice anything. And Google assured us that there is actually no limit and no repercussions for storing way more then this.