Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Qwerty2323

Why are people upset about 2080Ti price like come on it is fair deal...

Posted · Original PosterOP

I do not get these tech YouTubers and everyone bashing Nvidia. The top of the line card with the best performance and new features cost the same as the new iPhone. And to be honest everyone including their mom in western countries have either iPhone or top of the line Android. What people should be concerned about is 50s 60s and 70s series, because they use to have good separation in value and performance. I look at all the price of 2070 500$ expected... Where this puts the price and future for 2050 and 2060 cards??? One of the reasons I picked Nvidia in past over AMD was less heat, less power consumption, and generally less noise, but new 2000 series seems to be going big. Maybe just me but I have plenty of heat in summer already :(

People were anticipating a better price to performance ratio, much like Nvidia's previous generations, but they got a similar ratio as the 10 series, which is rather disappointing, I mean we all knew that their was going to be a price bump for this generation, but most people expected that 20 series would sell for  at most $900. One way or another this is going to be an interesting generation for Nvidia. I myself am considering skipping this generation unless the upcoming GTX 2050 is absolutely amazing.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

1 hour ago, Qwerty2323 said:

everyone including their mom in western countries have either iPhone or top of the line Android

America != western countries.

We've had decades of more computing per unit cost, and thats what has made the entire field work as it has. If we still paid something like $500 forr pentium 2 amounts of performance, computing in general would not be where it is today and games, applications, the internet etc would not exist as they do period. nVidia is squeezing everyone for more money because they know that cash grabs will work on people who will buy their products no matter what it costs because of status or their own internal preferences (read: fanboy).

For once a lot of the media and youtube is on the ball and calling this BS out, but tbh I don't think itll amount to much but that could just be the pessimist in me showing.

<----Westerner

My phone is a gen 1 smartphone around 8 years old.  My laptops and desktops are for computing, my phone is for pr0n, texts, phonecalls and navigation in that order.  I just have to watch everything in 360p which is a downer. 

lol

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4 ATX, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM (+100mhz core clock), 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker (or 4x8gb DDR4 2666mhz for large tasks), Corsair HX850 PSU, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiator, 128gb Patriot Scorch NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case.  DSI 90-Key Mechanical Keyboard w/ Cherry Red switches, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Hannspree HF207 and Acer AL2016W monitors

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig 1: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Acer XF270HU 2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37628874?

Dwight: The Mixed Metals Loop Media Center.  Ask me about it.  Currently decommissioned to move to an mATX setup on a new MOBO once I pick one out

Schrute: ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0, FX 8350, 2x Gigabyte HD 7850 2gb GPUs in crossfire, 16gb (4x4) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz, Sparkle/FSP 650w PSU, PCCOOLING 160w TDP air cooler, 60gb Patriot SSD Win 10 boot drive, 1tb WDBlack HDD, Rosewill Nautilus 1.0 case.  Logitech Wireless Keyboard and Mouse, Roku 55" 4k TV

Micro Form Factor Dell OptiPlex 3040: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 2x4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, 500gb Seagate 7mm HDD attached storage, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, USB Wifi adapter all vesa mounted to the back of a 37" 1080p TV for form factor in the kitchen

Linux Box: Toshiba Laptop, i7 620M, NVS graphics, 2gb ram tinker toy at the moment.  Running Manjaro at the moment

APU Laptop: I need to clean this things TIM up so it can boot into Windows 7 for more than 5 minute before overheating at idle, it has things, I just haven't been on it in 2 years or so

42 minutes ago, Qwerty2323 said:

I do not get these tech YouTubers and everyone bashing Nvidia. The top of the line card with the best performance and new features cost the same as the new iPhone. And to be honest everyone including their mom in western countries have either iPhone or top of the line Android. What people should be concerned about is 50s 60s and 70s series, because they use to have good separation in value and performance. I look at all the price of 2070 500$ expected... Where this puts the price and future for 2050 and 2060 cards??? One of the reasons I picked Nvidia in past over AMD was less heat, less power consumption, and generally less noise, but new 2000 series seems to be going big. Maybe just me but I have plenty of heat in summer already :(

Trying to target 60 FPS with Ray-Tracing enabled....

GTX 2080 Ti costing as much as a GTX Titan XP...  (in my situation, a RTX 2080 Ti is $1700 ~ $1800, which is MORE than a Titan XP).

Not everyone in the western countries use the latest $2000 iPhone Xs Plus.

People are using the latest phones because are on some kind of 2-year / 3-year phone contract.

Quite frankly, we are getting tried of these $1700+ iPhone BS.

I have personally been on NO phone contract for the last ~5 years, and I own all my phones outright

• Nexus 5 -- bought directly from Google
  • Nexus 6P -- bought directly from Google
  • LG G6 -- bought used, unlocked (6P finally had the battery defect issue)

My brother uses a factory unlocked Samsung S7, and the mom even uses an older Samsung Galaxy Core LTE phone (due for an upgrade).

I am personally waiting on the ASUS ROG Phone, and see how well it performs...and hopefully under $1000.

NOT because of the "gaming" aspect per-se, but the ability to dock it, and hook up a monitor + keyboard + mice + Ethernet.

I can use it as a mobile workstation.

Not everyone needs a RTX 2080 or 2080 Ti -- these are targeted for 4K or higher gaming.

If you are just going for 1080p or 1440p gaming, a RTX 2070 or 2060 would be enough.

Power consumption / electricity cost will vary from one place to another.

Heat and noise is relative; I live in the West Coast of Canada, so heat is not so much of a concern.

You can't just say ALL AMD cards run hot.

My Sapphire R9-Fury never exceed ~75*C under gaming loads.

Similar for my Vapor-X HD 7950 and 7970.

A Founder's Edition GTX 1080 will run MUCH hotter, compared to an ASUS STriX or EVGA ACX GTX 1080.

Intel X99 Rig -- CPU + PSU being RMA'ed
Intel Z390 Rig (*NEW* Primary)

• i7-6800K @ 4.0 GHz --- i7-8086K
  • ASUS X99 Deluxe --- Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • 2x Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire / ASUS ROG Platinum Matrix R9-280X
  • 32 GB, 16 GB DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z Red/Black 3000 MHz + 16 GB DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000 MHz
  • CM Hyper 212 EVO (temporary) .... EKwb Predator kit .... in-progress
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Crucial MX 500 SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Edition
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

Intel Z97 Rig (Secondary)

• Intel i5-4690K @ 4.6 GHz  4.8 GHz (still tweaking it)
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version] + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned...for now)

•  FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932
  • Logitech G9x + Corsair K70 (red LED, anodized black, cherry MX Brown)  *NONE*

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

To be fair to Nvidia it is a decent GPU, but it is much more expensive compared to the release price of the 1080ti which is still such a powerful GPU. I mean Nvidia could have easily priced the 2080ti much lower at around $700.

If I recall correctly, in previous years the new cards would be priced right around the msrp that the previous cards started at, then the previous cards would drop down a bit lower in cost before they get phased out.  Now they're priced even higher with the current cards barely budging in price.  And they're shipping without being able to use all the advertised features at launch (RTX). 

5 minutes ago, Majinhoju said:

If I recall correctly, in previous years the new cards would be priced right around the msrp that the previous cards started at, then the previous cards would drop down a bit lower in cost before they get phased out.  Now they're priced even higher with the current cards barely budging in price.  And they're shipping without being able to use all the advertised features at launch (RTX). 

That is so true

41 minutes ago, Qwerty2323 said:

I believe that half the bashing is coming from nVidia failing to deliver on the Raytracing compute power they marketed the cards for (known as false advertising, something that is illegal both in Canada and the EU) with the other half of bashing because the cards really aren't delivering much more performance for the money over the previous generation cards.

Don't get me wrong - top tier cards are indeed capable of top tier performance, but the price to performance curve drops off as soon as you hit top tier card land, making a second tier card (1070 Ti or 2070 Ti) a much better value for 4K, and a third tier card (1060 / Ti 6GB or 2060 / Ti) a better value for 1440p60 or 1080p120/144 gaming. Plus, in Canada, retailers often fail to sell computer hardware anywhere close to MSRP, resulting in artificially inflated pricing.

Desktop: KRySTaLoGi-PC Build Log (i7-4790K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Bell - Unlimited Calling & Texting + 10GB Data
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | HP Touchpad | ASUS ME302C
Camera: Canon SX280 + Rebel T1i (500D) | Sony HDR-AS50R | Panasonic DMC-TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Peope complain when they are cheap. Simple as that. You want it and it’s features? The buy it, if not take your cheap ass to Craigslist or settle for mid teir like a pleb. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 8700k, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H, G.Skill TridentZ 16GB, EVGA 1080TI SC Black, EVGA 850 GQ, Acer xG270HU 2560x1440@144hz

Spare RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 4770K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 32Gb, EVGA 1080sc & 1060 SSC, Corsair CX850M, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz 

People complain because flagship cards used to run around 700 on release(500 for AMD), then dropped in price gradually. Now you get less of a performance increase for 400-500 dollars more.

As for comparing it to an iPhone, and iPhone is overpriced as well, but at least its not just ONE part like a GPU. Youre spending 1200 on one PC component. Add in CPU, mobo, monitor, PSU, mouse, keyboard, hard drive, ram, and the price of a high end gaming pc these days is insane

Posted · Original PosterOP
21 hours ago, maizenblue said:

Ill also add that people like the OP are the reason Nvidia can get away with this kind of price gouging. I wondered if this wasn't Avram Piltch's LTT account.

But all I said is... That it is ok to make to of line product expensive if you go for best you can aford it. Same like driving premium BMW instead of cheap car.

I am still oposed to price rise on budget serries cards.

21 hours ago, maizenblue said:

Ill also add that people like the OP are the reason Nvidia can get away with this kind of price gouging. I wondered if this wasn't Avram Piltch's LTT account.

but but but.... less heat!!1!

8d2.jpg

cases have a rear fan for a reason

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Remember guys, BFV was barely hitting 60FPS at 1080p with raytracing. But that was without DLSS. So it's not such a bad card if we can expect 2x performance increase with DLSS.

First Computer: 3440x1440 @75Hz ROG STRIX 1080 Ti Core i5 8600K @ 1.415V @ 5.08 GHz Corsair Spec 02 EVGA CLC 280mm

On 9/26/2018 at 6:25 AM, Qwerty2323 said:

And to be honest everyone including their mom in western countries have either iPhone or top of the line Android. 

Mate, please don't throw the rest of the western world in the same bag as the USA.

But really, the RTX pricing is a joke. Itonky there to get people to buy old 10xx series stock. 

This is what happens when there's no competition in the market. 

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)