Titan Xp, RTX 2080, RTX 2080 Ti

Jrasero

I been without a GPU for a bit now and I am getting pretty nervous about my newegg EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC pre-order.  It was delayed once until 9-27 and I emailed and called to see if they were expected to receive their shipment by Thursday and they kept reiterating  pre-orders are subject to change, without ever answering my question directly.  I have a strong feeling they are not getting a shipment this Thursday.  Vendors like B&H have their shipments coming in late October, I wonder if this is really the most realistic date.

Honestly the EVGA RTX 2080 TI at $1150 is a lot of money no matter how you slice it, but by far has the best performance out there.

I have started to contemplate just getting a used Titan Xp for $675 shipped off Reddit, or another guy has offered his un opened RTX 2080 FE for $775 shipped.  Both seem like good deals, however I am always nervous about buying used or buying from Reddit period.  None of the sellers have been flagged but that like saying the car I am looking at buying doesn't have anything bad on it's CarFax, which means something could have just not been reported.  

The Reddit deals definitely have an urgency to them since I suspect people want to unload these asap.  Today I also got the same email from newegg that I got on 9-19-18 saying your RTX 2080 card will not be shipping on 9-20 and is expected on 9-27.  Just odd, maybe these meant to say it's not coming in 9-27 and expected ....

any suggestions on what to do?

also performance wise where does an Xp fit into the RTX spectrum, a course not considering DLSS or ray tracing 

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42" 

the 20 series is a BAD BUY, get one of the NEW discounted for sub $700 1080ti's. the 2080 is trading blows with a 1080ti, a Titan Xp is 3-5% better then a 1080ti, the 2080ti is like 20% better but costs 70% more then a 1080ti.

Just wait. You've already jumped into the pit, no reason to back out now.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Just buy a 1080Ti it is awesome deal atm and you can get almost 2 for the same price as 2080Ti.

Unless you want the very best and have a huge wallet than nothing better than 1080Ti atm. 

As for the date, there is a lot of news about supply delays, but does it matter 1 extra month?

7 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

the 20 series is a BAD BUY, get one of the discounted for sub $700 1080ti's. the 2080 is trading blows with a 1080ti, a Titan Xp is 3-5% better then a 1080ti, the 2080ti is like 20% better but costs 70% more then a 1080ti.

Money is always something to consider, but I am willing to buy a RTX 2080 Ti knowing it is only 20%-30% better than a GTX 1080 Ti since it is really the only true 4K gaming card.  I wouldn't say a RTX 2080 is a bad buy though $100 more than a currently priced 1080 Ti but you get an ever so slightly better card at 4K, DLSS, and ray tracing.  Granted the last two features are not available now, which makes the RTX more of a speculative buy

I guess my question is, if someone gave you $1150 and said choose, which one would you pick and no you can't parlay the remaining money into something else

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42" 

4 minutes ago, Qwerty2323 said:

Just buy a 1080Ti it is awesome deal atm and you can get almost 2 for the same price as 2080Ti.

Unless you want the very best and have a huge wallet than nothing better than 1080Ti atm. 

As for the date, there is a lot of news about supply delays, but does it matter 1 extra month?

I find the 1080 Ti to be a so so value.  With the RTX 2080 out GTX 1080 Ti sales stopped and they remain at $700. So no more sub $600 GTX 1080 Ti.  For $100 why wouldn't I get a RTX even if it's features aren't be utilized at the moment, it seems like a more future proof card.  

Just now, Jrasero said:

Money is always an issue, but I am willing to buy a RTX 2080 Ti knowing it is only 20%-30% better than a GTX 1080 Ti.  I wouldn't say a RTX 2080 is a bad buy though $100 more than a currently priced 1080 Ti but you get an ever so slightly better card at 4K, DLSS, and ray tracing.  Granted the last two features are not available now, which makes the RTX more of a speculative buy

I guess my question is, if someone gave you $1150 and said choose, which one would you pick and no you can't parlay the remaining money into something else

DLSS may be worth it if and WHEN that shit is supported, but Raytracing is GARBAGE on these cards (like 30-40 FPS at 1080p garbage) and WILL ALWAYS BE on these cards, just not enough gigarays, we need several generations for the tech to reach the level where the 4 card star wars render scene can be done on a gaming GPU, it will be the next generation of cards (when they go 7nm) at best before those features will matter at all, as they will be able to increase core counts much higher for less power.

also if you have $1150 to spend how can you NOT parlay the savings into something else?

also if you plan to try any cryptomining the 20 series cards suck at that from a performance per dollar aspect with the 2080ti barely edging out a 1080ti and to top it off they are power hungry cards that further increase there cost to own (albeit thats a small issue).

Just now, Daniel644 said:

DLSS may be worth it if and WHEN that shit is supported, but Raytracing is GARBAGE on these cards (like 30-40 FPS at 1080p garbage) and WILL ALWAYS BE on these cards, just not enough gigarays, we need several generations for the tech to reach the level where the 4 card star wars render scene can be done on a gaming GPU, it will be the next generation of cards (when they go 7nm) at best before those features will matter at all, as they will be able to increase core counts much higher for less power.

also if you have $1150 to spend how can you NOT parlay the savings into something else?

also if you plan to try any cryptomining the 20 series cards suck at that from a performance per dollar aspect with the 2080ti barely edging out a 1080ti and to top it off they are power hungry cards that further increase there cost to own (albeit thats a small issue).

Well my question said without parlaying the money to something else...lol

but my system really is already complete besides the GPU.  

No I don't plan on mining.  

no offense but people are so hung up on price.  Let's be honest most people don't need anything above a 1070, yet people buy these enthusiast cards for minimal visual benefits and a higher FPS ticker.  It's a sickness and I admittedly suffer from it.  My point is RTX  is overpriced, I get that but so is a BMW IMO but hey a lot people buy those for perceived value and performance even though BMW frankly has none of those characteristics (sorry M series guys).  I am not sold on ray tracying and your right this gen it will be a dud, but it's still is a party trick and DLSS IMO still has HUGE upside.  So let's stop pretending we need or want to live this minimalist life where we won't pay for frivolous things because when you die and your whole life flashes before your eyes, how much of it do you want to not have ray tracing?” haha

4 minutes ago, Jrasero said:

Well my question said without parlaying the money to something else...lol

but my system really is already complete besides the GPU.  

No I don't plan on mining.  

no offense but people are so hung up on price.  Let's be honest most people don't need anything above a 1070, yet people buy these enthusiast cards for minimal visual benefits and a higher FPS ticker.  It's a sickness and I admittedly suffer from it.  My point is RTX  is overpriced, I get that but so is a BMW IMO but hey a lot people buy those for perceived value and performance even though BMW frankly has none of those characteristics (sorry M series guys).  I am not sold on ray tracying and your right this gen it will be a dud, but it's still is a party trick and DLSS IMO still has HUGE upside.  So let's stop pretending we need or want to live this minimalist life where we won't pay for frivolous things because when you die and your whole life flashes before your eyes, how much of it do you want to not have ray tracing?” haha

then it sounds like you are hell bent on wasting the money for crap future potential and nothing anyone says will sway you. so I ask why did you bother with this thread, are you just trying to start a flame war?

RTX IS overpriced, if you buy a used card for a good price then you can likely still resale that card down the line when RTX prices come down from there insanity to the Numbers Jensen gave at the announcement and still be better off, the moral of the story is don't over pay just to be #First to have something, I started my build is like September of 2016 and was debating between a 1070 and 1080 at the time, by the time I had the budget to get one the 1080ti was launched and all the prices dropped, I suspect we will see a major price correction on RTX within the year and it's not worth overpaying for when you can't even use the advanced tech, also remember even when the advanced tech gets enabled you still need the games you play to get updated to support the feature, you won't just be able to turn on DLSS for any game out there, only the games where Nvidia has trained the AI models on their super computers and added them to the drivers.

to use your BMW analogy, you don't have to go buy the 2019 BMW, you can buy a used 2018 for way cheaper and in the future should the added features make a 2019 worth getting the price will be better and you can sell the 2018 for a minimal loss to fund the 2019 upgrade. your argument over budget is invalid, if it was purely about saving money I'd be saying go buy a honda civic (1060 or 1070) as those are super affordable and enough for most games, once you get into 1080ti territory you are already on the lets spend money we don't need to train and 2080ti is the "I have more money then sense, i'm gonna buy a private plane to fly me everywhere train", because IF a game scales in SLI you will get better performance from 2 1080ti's then you will from a 2080ti and if you go used you can easily get 2 1080ti's at that price point. 2080 ti's need to be 2080 prices before they make any sense to buy and remember there are a TON of 10 series GPU cores out there that where made for the mining rush that collapsed before cards where made, so we should see some pretty decent sales as we get later into the year as board partners and stores try to clear inventory. I remember EVGA back last year (or slightly earlier) had a bunch of 980ti's they sold off for like $300 when 1070's where $400 and those cards are of comparable performance.

26 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

then it sounds like you are hell bent on wasting the money for crap future potential and nothing anyone says will sway you. so I ask why did you bother with this thread, are you just trying to start a flame war?

RTX IS overpriced, if you buy a used card for a good price then you can likely still resale that card down the line when RTX prices come down from there insanity to the Numbers Jensen gave at the announcement and still be better off, the moral of the story is don't over pay just to be #First to have something, I started my build is like September of 2016 and was debating between a 1070 and 1080 at the time, by the time I had the budget to get one the 1080ti was launched and all the prices dropped, I suspect we will see a major price correction on RTX within the year and it's not worth overpaying for when you can't even use the advanced tech, also remember even when the advanced tech gets enabled you still need the games you play to get updated to support the feature, you won't just be able to turn on DLSS for any game out there, only the games where Nvidia has trained the AI models on their super computers and added them to the drivers.

to use your BMW analogy, you don't have to go buy the 2019 BMW, you can buy a used 2018 for way cheaper and in the future should the added features make a 2019 worth getting the price will be better and you can sell the 2018 for a minimal loss to fund the 2019 upgrade. your argument over budget is invalid, if it was purely about saving money I'd be saying go buy a honda civic (1060 or 1070) as those are super affordable and enough for most games, once you get into 1080ti territory you are already on the lets spend money we don't need to train and 2080ti is the "I have more money then sense, i'm gonna buy a private plane to fly me everywhere train", because IF a game scales in SLI you will get better performance from 2 1080ti's then you will from a 2080ti and if you go used you can easily get 2 1080ti's at that price point. 2080 ti's need to be 2080 prices before they make any sense to buy and remember there are a TON of 10 series GPU cores out there that where made for the mining rush that collapsed before cards where made, so we should see some pretty decent sales as we get later into the year as board partners and stores try to clear inventory. I remember EVGA back last year (or slightly earlier) had a bunch of 980ti's they sold off for like $300 when 1070's where $400 and those cards are of comparable performance.

again you are hell bent on price.  Which is fine but there is a demographic of people who can and will drop $1000+ on a dime.  Is it spending money on the future or just on the perception of getting the best out there?  Point being the RTX 2080 Ti factually is the fastest gaming card out there, whether you value it at $1000+ is really a personal financial question and not someone saying $ per FPS.  Also at this moment really the only 4K 60+ FPS card without dialing down the settings, which I believe no one will want to do if they are dropping $1200 on a card.  I am not going to argue that RTX isn't overpriced and your getting less for the money, but I hate when people say well "just wait" especially 12 months.  I don't consider myself a totally impatient man but waiting a year just so we can see RTX drop what 15% at max?  As per DLSS support, I get that you need games but from I can see, developers can easily have their games include DLSS, even older titles, so adoption rate should be much higher compared to ray tracing which we both agree might never catch on.  

SLI is mute since it sucks, and my system doesn't support it.  Again pricing doesn't need to make sense for you and you only.  I think the narcissism that a retailer should curtail to certain people so you yourself can afford it is outrageous.  If everything was priced within reach and reason it wouldn't be called a luxury and there wouldn't be any ultra enthusiasts.  Luxury isn't about reason or rationality.  I think using historical antidotes isn't realistic.  There are too many 10 series cards out there which leaves zero reason to lower the prices besides events like BF.  How come we went from sub $600 GTX 1080 Ti deals to all cards being $700 or higher?  Yeah there would be confusion between them and the RTX 2080 but also there is zero reason to give anyone a $550 GTX 1080 Ti anymore.        

Honestly I think people are just primed to hate.  RTX was never going to live up to people's expectation regardless and of price and $800+ didn't help that and that's kind of the issue when something falls bellow their expectation line.  If RTX 2080 was $600 and the Ti was $800 there would still be people saying, oh God I need to sell my kidney to afford these or these aren't what I expected.  

10 minutes ago, Jrasero said:

again you are hell bent on price.  Which is fine but there is a demographic of people who can and will drop $1000+ on a dime.  Is it spending money on the future or just on the perception of getting the best out there?  Point being the RTX 2080 Ti factually is the fastest gaming card out there, whether you value it at $1000+ is really a personal financial question and not someone saying $ per FPS.  Also at this moment really the only 4K 60+ FPS card without dialing down the settings, which I believe no one will want to do if they are dropping $1200 on a card.  I am not going to argue that RTX isn't overpriced and your getting less for the money, but I hate when people say well "just wait" especially 12 months.  I don't consider myself a totally impatient man but waiting a year just so we can see RTX drop what 15% at max?  As per DLSS support, I get that you need games but from I can see, developers can easily have their games include DLSS, even older titles, so adoption rate should be much higher compared to ray tracing which we both agree might never catch on.  

SLI is mute since it sucks, and my system doesn't support it.  Again pricing doesn't need to make sense for you and you only.  I think the narcissism that a retailer should curtail to certain people so you yourself can afford it is outrageous.  If everything was priced within reach and reason it wouldn't be called a luxury and there wouldn't be any ultra enthusiasts.  Luxury isn't about reason or rationality.  I think using historical antidotes isn't realistic.  There are too many 10 series cards out there which leaves zero reason to lower the prices besides events like BF.  How come we went from sub $600 GTX 1080 Ti deals to all cards being $700 or higher?  Yeah there would be confusion between them and the RTX 2080 but also there is zero reason to give anyone a $550 GTX 1080 Ti anymore.        

Honestly I think people are just primed to hate.  RTX was never going to live up to people's expectation regardless and of price and $800+ didn't help that and that's kind of the issue when something falls bellow their expectation line.  If RTX 2080 was $600 and the Ti was $800 there would still be people saying, oh God I need to sell my kidney to afford these or these aren't what I expected.  

I'm SAYING JUST DON'T BUY IT NOW, wait for when those features actually WORK, by then the prices will come down. you can get a 1080ti TODAY and have gaming performance equal to the 2080 so it's not like you are missing out on shit the 2080ti doesn't make the 1080ti a fucking 1050, they can still hit 60 FPS at 4k in many games, then in the future if those DLSS and raytracing features turn out to add something the prices will be more reasonable and you can buy one then and sell the 1080ti and still have spent less money overall without missing out on anything.

but it's obvious now you are nothing but a troll trying to start a flame ware so i'm done. You asked for opnions but do nothing but argue for spending the money and hanging in there waiting for that 2080ti, if you want to waste the money on a 2080 ti by all means DO IT, no one here is stopping you, just don't waste time starting a thread asking for opinions only to fight every single one of them with the "but I want it, I don't care how much it costs" argument.

4 hours ago, Jrasero said:

I been without a GPU for a bit now and I am getting pretty nervous about my newegg EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC pre-order.  It was delayed once until 9-27 and I emailed and called to see if they were expected to receive their shipment by Thursday and they kept reiterating  pre-orders are subject to change, without ever answering my question directly.  I have a strong feeling they are not getting a shipment this Thursday.  Vendors like B&H have their shipments coming in late October, I wonder if this is really the most realistic date.

Honestly the EVGA RTX 2080 TI at $1150 is a lot of money no matter how you slice it, but by far has the best performance out there.

I have started to contemplate just getting a used Titan Xp for $675 shipped off Reddit, or another guy has offered his un opened RTX 2080 FE for $775 shipped.  Both seem like good deals, however I am always nervous about buying used or buying from Reddit period.  None of the sellers have been flagged but that like saying the car I am looking at buying doesn't have anything bad on it's CarFax, which means something could have just not been reported.  

The Reddit deals definitely have an urgency to them since I suspect people want to unload these asap.  Today I also got the same email from newegg that I got on 9-19-18 saying your RTX 2080 card will not be shipping on 9-20 and is expected on 9-27.  Just odd, maybe these meant to say it's not coming in 9-27 and expected ....

any suggestions on what to do?

also performance wise where does an Xp fit into the RTX spectrum, a course not considering DLSS or ray tracing 

the best performance/value is to wait, if you can't wait, and have a 4k hdr monitor, just get a 2080 ti. It really is that simple

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11