How To Utilize SSD + HDD?

Supahh

I've recently setup my ssd for booting my windows, but how can I customize my hard drive so it's set to the primary storage drive?

I want everything (documents, videos, pictures) etc on my hard drive and only applications I choose such as chrome on my ssd. When I currently look at the location of my documents folder, it is set the my "C:" drive which is my ssd, I know I can change it to my D: (hard drive) but this is just inconvenient to do with every file.

Is there any way to do this so it automatically goes to my 2tb hard drive & not my 250gb ssd?

CPU: Intel i7-8700 

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X

Monitor: HP OMEN 25 144hz

RAM: 8GB G Skill

Motherboard: MSI B360 Gaming Arctic

Storage: 2TB Barracuda

Start-up: Samsung 250GB SSD

Case: Corsair Spec-Omega White

PSU: ThermalTake 750W Fully Modular RGB

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition X Chroma V2

Mouse: Razer Deathadder / Logitech G502

Speakers: Logitech Z200 White / Beats Earphones

Use PrimoCache and create a hybrid storage. You'll have a general SSD performance with 2TB capacity. And everything will be automated, you don't have to do anything afterwards.

A mix of the two above.

I have Chrome cache (because it disk thrashes) and my backups/downloads on the HDD (performance is not a necessity to me there).

If you want to move your documents folder, do as @ItsTheDuckAgain says above.

If you want faster game loading, put the one game on the SSD (Steam for example allows game migrating/moving) or use PrimoCache as RejZoR says above.

10 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

If I select the first option, will it automatically change the location of my current applications to my hdd if I choose the hard drive or will it only do it to new applications.

Also, what's the upside to having your "new documents" saved to your ssd? If there is any major speed differences.

What applications are also recommended to have on a 250gb ssd?

CPU: Intel i7-8700 

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X

Monitor: HP OMEN 25 144hz

RAM: 8GB G Skill

Motherboard: MSI B360 Gaming Arctic

Storage: 2TB Barracuda

Start-up: Samsung 250GB SSD

Case: Corsair Spec-Omega White

PSU: ThermalTake 750W Fully Modular RGB

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition X Chroma V2

Mouse: Razer Deathadder / Logitech G502

Speakers: Logitech Z200 White / Beats Earphones

17 minutes ago, Supahh said:

If I select the first option, will it automatically change the location of my current applications to my hdd if I choose the hard drive or will it only do it to new applications.

Also, what's the upside to having your "new documents" saved to your ssd? If there is any major speed differences.

Use the solution in the second link rather than the first one. It may be beneficial to have your documents on your SSD because lots of applications stored data there that is used often. You may also want to disable defrag in Task Scheduler if you have not done so yet.

As for applications, I would just install your most used apps and maybe a game or two on the SSD. I keep my web browser on the SSD along with Kaspersky, Steam, Origin, and other various apps. Prior to having a games SSD I had Battlefield 4 on my boot SSD due to the incredibly long loading times in that game when installed to a standard HDD.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

26 minutes ago, Supahh said:

All applications are recommended to have on SSD, including cache, pagefile etc. You paid for fast SSD drive, so use it until becomes 80% full.

I see people still don't understand hybrid SSD+HDD storage. Which kinda explains why it never really took off when people prefer to stick all their data on SSD and then shuffle stuff around by hand. Pointless work, frankly. Just pair SSD to HDD with PrimoCache, tweak it and leave algorithms do their job. I've had 128GB+2TB combo and it was basically as fast as my current 2TB SSD. I basically went full SSD because I sleep in same room and HDD clicking drove me crazy. For speed, capacity and cost efficiency, hybrid SSD+HDD is by far the best way. And with PrimoCache, if SSD somehow dies, it'll simply fallback to HDD. So you don't lose any data in case of catastrophic SSD failures. Which isn't the case with Intel or AMD solutions.

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I see people still don't understand hybrid SSD+HDD storage. Which kinda explains why it never really took off when people prefer to stick all their data on SSD and then shuffle stuff around by hand. Pointless work, frankly. Just pair SSD to HDD with PrimoCache, tweak it and leave algorithms do their job. I've had 128GB+2TB combo and it was basically as fast as my current 2TB SSD. I basically went full SSD because I sleep in same room and HDD clicking drove me crazy. For speed, capacity and cost efficiency, hybrid SSD+HDD is by far the best way. And with PrimoCache, if SSD somehow dies, it'll simply fallback to HDD. So you don't lose any data in case of catastrophic SSD failures. Which isn't the case with Intel or AMD solutions.

I think people understand what hybrid works, but I also understand that many people (including me) wants to have full control over drives and what they put on them. But ok, some people may want to transfer control to the program and don't worry about anything.

Your post sounds like PrimoCache commercial, some kind of whisper marketing. :) But ok, if it works, then it may be useful for someone.

5 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

I think people understand what hybrid works, but I also understand that many people (including me) wants to have full control over drives and what they put on them. But ok, some people may want to transfer control to the program and don't worry about anything.

Your post sounds like PrimoCache commercial, some kind of whisper marketing. :) But ok, if it works, then it may be useful for someone.

It's not a commercial, even Linus used it in one video. People still think PrimoCache is RAM caching software even to this day because it used to be just that several years ago... And I see no advantage of you having "control" where anything is stored. Guess what, everything is stored on HDD, exactly where you place it. SSD is only used for cache, which makes me believe people don't actually understand SSD+HDD hybrid systems after all... I've gone through 3 different iterations of it through years of use until I've gone full SSD like 2 or 3 years ago and I can't think of a single thing why doing it by hand would be better...

For improving system loading that "cache" must be in fact files stored to SSD (moved from HDD if they're used often). It's basically SSHD, isn't? Maybe a little smarter, but still the same idea of "learning" what programs/files you used mostly etc. So in my case "control" means - I know what files I want to load fast, even for programs that I not use so often. If once a month (for example) I want to run music editor with lot of plugins etc. I don't want to wait, because PrimoCache thinks that is not used very often and move it to slower HDD.

If PrimoCache works SO different than SSHD, then explain please how it works (not advantages of using it, but just how it works).