Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
positivePXL

Building A Rig For A Client. . .

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

We already have most of the internals ironed out, this is the rough sketch of what we're looking at throwing together:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ns72jy

Don't laugh, I know I did when he said he wanted to use that case, but this is what he wants, so this is the price tag we are running with. The list is also not exhaustive, I want to also switch out the flat black radiator fans included with the x72, with another triple set of fans identical to the HD120 fans I have included for the front of the case. I also neglected to included the NV-Link attachment, and we also did not immediately decide on exactly which 2080ti's we will be running, but right now, MSI are the front runner's, with the only RGB-centric cooler's previewed. In general though, the interior is finalized. If you have any suggestions or questions though, please don't hesitate to speak up.

 

He is still deciding on his preferences for peripherals, but where we are getting hung up the most right now, is actually in what desk he will using. I have never actually considered what desk he will be gaming on (as this will be his first rig). It's something I have never personally ever considered even thinking about either, because I've always just used my childhood dinner table as my desk. I like being good at what I do, and I love ingesting information for analysis, but there just seems to be so many new brands in this new market, that I honestly have no idea who or where to look. 

 

We are desperate for a quality desk to compliment the quality hardware, maybe I can lean on somebody here for advice or a suggestion?

positivePXL [+PXL]

Link to post
Share on other sites

as a woodworker

buy an antique desk . new desks are particleboard crap that they veneer and call it "solid wood". lol. new stuff is junk.

Shop a few antique stores and stay under 1940 although most desks from the 50's have either fell apart or rusted away anyway

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, emosun said:

-snip-

PXL cradles his face in his palms.

 

Yah, I kinda gathered that. Like I said, my childhood dinner table, that my parents rescued from a house where it had already been well used. This thing has survived decades of abuse, and it still stands here in front of me. 

 

I just can't convince him to buy something classic. He's dead-set on a modern desk with modern appeals and comforts. We're in a Discord chat now, hashing out a few more details of the build while we wait for the 2080ti's to drop. He's looking at this corner desk that has a built in motorized triple monitor stand. Granted, I kinda get that too. I'd like a motorized monitor mount, but I also prefer quality, and he prefer's keeping the price-tag up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Get a nice dark sealed woodcut block and get yourself some nice height drawers. The cutblock will look classy and won't stain easily. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If he prefers keeping the price up then antique desks will show him real quick where his money can go. lol

in all honesty we have a few 1850's rolltops that exceed the cost of the rig you've posted above.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, positivePXL said:

We already have most of the internals ironed out, this is the rough sketch of what we're looking at throwing together:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ns72jy

Don't laugh, I know I did when he said he wanted to use that case, but this is what he wants, so this is the price tag we are running with. The list is also not exhaustive, I want to also switch out the flat black radiator fans included with the x72, with another triple set of fans identical to the HD120 fans I have included for the front of the case. I also neglected to included the NV-Link attachment, and we also did not immediately decide on exactly which 2080ti's we will be running, but right now, MSI are the front runner's, with the only RGB-centric cooler's previewed. In general though, the interior is finalized. If you have any suggestions or questions though, please don't hesitate to speak up.

 

He is still deciding on his preferences for peripherals, but where we are getting hung up the most right now, is actually in what desk he will using. I have never actually considered what desk he will be gaming on (as this will be his first rig). It's something I have never personally ever considered even thinking about either, because I've always just used my childhood dinner table as my desk. I like being good at what I do, and I love ingesting information for analysis, but there just seems to be so many new brands in this new market, that I honestly have no idea who or where to look. 

 

We are desperate for a quality desk to compliment the quality hardware, maybe I can lean on somebody here for advice or a suggestion?

positivePXL [+PXL]

Get a x470 board instead of x370

Also, that case..........?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
16 hours ago, SHROUD said:

Get a x470 board instead of x370

Also, that case..........?

This was the best predominantly white motherboard I could locate. If we could go x470, I would have, but this x370 is the closest to the theme we could muster.

 

16 hours ago, GlobalPentahedron Corp said:

OK I looked at the case and I take back what I said about getting an antique. I do not know what kind of table that case would suit.

Apparently this one could:

https://shop.prospecdesigns.eu/product/r2-astronaut-le/

Which is his running best option. I'm going to continue leaving my options open because I think this manufacturer sounds a bit too much like they're looking down on the rest of the world. Dumb stuff they say in the description like, "This model will be produced in 39 pieces as collectibles. Extra certificates will be provided hand signed by the manufacturers and designer." Like seriously guys? Each piece, by itself is a collectible? To whom? Whatever. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd suggest the Asus Prime X470-Pro. Not white, but it does have a fairly large set of white heat sinks.

 

Regardless of the motherboard, I'd suggest getting fans compatible with the motherboard RGB sync protocol.


80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, brob said:

I'd suggest the Asus Prime X470-Pro. Not white, but it does have a fairly large set of white heat sinks.

Right, and therein lies the problem, there are currently two total x370/470 mobo's that are themed primarily white, the one picked, and another, lower priced market bracket one. For the sake of the build, we are going with the MSI board. It's not like we are really missing out on much by not upgrading, basically just some quality of life stuff.

9 minutes ago, brob said:

Regardless of the motherboard, I'd suggest getting fans compatible with the motherboard RGB sync protocol.

The RGB's in the system are going to be static blue, if I felt like I could get away with it, I'd pick like ML120 fans with blue LED's instead, but the black frames on most fans is what's staving me away from them. For the sake of not interrupting the overall palate as much as possible, we've decided that the HD120's are probably the best bet, with only the corner mount's being a black plastic, with the rest either additional RGB's, or just clear plastic. If there's a similar solution from like, NZXT, for example, I'd love to hear about them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×