Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GeneXiS_X

[REVIEW] Lenovo Legion Y530 Laptop (i5-8300H, GTX 1050TI, 144Hz IPS)

Posted · Original PosterOP

NOTE BEFORE READING: I upgraded RAM to 16GB (dual channel) and did another repaste (due to drying out issue). Will do an update ASAP.

Hi everyone. This is my fourth review in LTT forum. I will be reviewing the Lenovo Legion Y530 laptop. I bought it for MYR 3351.15 (about USD 811) with 15% student discount applied. Main specs of the laptop are as below:

Spoiler

i5-8300H

GTX 1050TI 2GB

8GB 2666MHz RAM (Samsung)

Samsung PM981 256GB NVMe SSD

144Hz IPS (LG)

2x2 WIFI

Now you probably questioning me: Why 2GB VRAM? Well, here’s the thing: My original budget is MYR 3000. That means that I’ve stretched my budget by quite a margin. Extra VRAM costs more. Moreover, my games run absolutely fine with 2GB VRAM. Nevertheless, I strongly suggest getting 4GB VRAM if you're buying this model.

The package comes with a few documents (no user manual), an 135W Liteon AC Adapter and the laptop itself. The visuals outside the box is great and the packaging inside is excellent. I also purchased a business laptop bag and a wireless mouse for only 2 bucks.

A few notes before reading:

1. This is a quick review; thus, I’ll not cover everything here. Things like ports, keyboard layout etc can be found in external reviews.

2. My English Language is not that great since it's not my native language. I apologize if you find the description too simple and boring.

3. This review will be updated from time to time.

4. I will often compare this laptop with my previous laptop – Legion Y520. You can check the review here.

5. Gallery can be found below.

If you have any questions, kindly leave a comment below.

External review for reference: Notebookcheck, Notebookcheck (1060)Ultrabookreview

Part 1: Build quality, input devices

The build quality is kind of a mixed bag compared to Y520. Some improvements and some downgrades at the same time. Overall, I would say it’s a marginal improvement.

The chassis is all plastic. There are 5 kinds of plastic used here:

-Soft touch plastic – whole keyboard deck (same with Y520)

-Reflective plastic – hinge cover

-Rough texture but smooth to touch – touchpad physical buttons, exhaust area, bottom cover

-Smooth texture – bezel (same with Y520), back chassis area

-‘O’ texture (zipping sound when scratched, looks high quality) – lid cover

Unfortunately, this also means that it’s still a fingerprint/oil magnet. Grease is hard to be cleaned.

Starting off with the good things, the lid has significantly improved compared to Y520. It feels much sturdier as result of thicker lid. There's only little flex when force is pushed onto the lid cover. The new design comes with 2 hinges, meaning that the lid is less susceptible to twisting, however the rigidity when twisted is only average-good. The keyboard deck also feels solid and has thicker body compared to Y520. No flex can be found even it's pressed hard. The hinges have also improved and feel much solid. There's only minor wobbling, one hand lid opening is easy and the lid can be opened to 180 degrees.

Now for the cons: Noticeable flex can be found in the keyboard area, bottom bezel and the area between keyboard and touchpad. Little flex can be found in keyboard deck area that’s near the keyboard, including left and right sides of the keyboard area. Rigidity has to be sacrificed for the thinner chassis, unfortunately. Still, this doesn't affect the typing experience (more on that later).

Note that the middle hinge cover is just for design purpose and hiding the display cables, it's not attached to any hinges. Left hinge is attached to the left only while right hinge is attached to the right side only. Also, the bottom bezel is thick as it needs to place the webcam, hinges and display cables inside.

Keyboard – The keyboard is very similar to the one in Y520, which is a good thing. I feel like the travel distance is still the same (1.7mm as advertised) and the soft stop is still there, however the actuation force is slightly less. The keys feel a little clicky just like before. There's no spongy feel when typing despite the keyboard flex. There's 2 stages of white backlight. I wish they keep the menu key instead of print screen key.

UPDATE: The replacement keyboard has slightly worse typing feel. The keys near the middle part are a bit mushy (spongy feel) due to minor keyboard flex which doesn't exist before that. Has slightly increased actuation force.

Touchpad – The touchpad also bring me to mixed feelings. Good thing first, it uses Precision driver. Gliding, gestures and everything else are smooth and accurate which is a huge improvement from Y520 Elan driver. However, the plastic surface can turn into rough surface (which hurts your skin) when there's a bit of water/oil on your fingers or, you pressed too hard on the surface. The physical button is a downgrade because you need to press very hard and the click sound is even louder; however, the centered mount for the buttons which can be found in Y520, is gone. I wish the touchpad could be a bit taller and aligned slightly to the right.

Part 2: Display, Audio, Connectivity, Battery

The display is the thing I liked (and wanted) the most. It's a 144Hz IPS panel from LG with matte finish (display ID: LGD05CF, or LP156WFG-SPB2). As you can aspect from a high refresh rate panel, everything feels smooth. It gets bright (20% brightness is enough for indoor use) with 300 nits max (advertised), colours are vibrant with 72% NTSC colour coverage (advertised). However, it lacks the low response times which can be found in LGD05C0 panel in higher end models (Aero 15, GS65, Blade 15 etc). That being said, you can definitely notice some ghosting in extremely fast movements (it’s still an IPS anyway), however it’s not a deal breaker. Confirmed: The LP156WFG-SPB2 has low response times, although you can still notice minimal ghosting since it's still and IPS. Also, the contrast is just average (not mediocre). I had to do some minor adjustments on it. There is little backlight bleed on the corners but not noticeable in normal use.

Audio is slightly better than Y520 despite the front facing, down firing Harman branded speakers. It has slightly better lows/bass (still no subwoofer) and highs. The volume is also slightly louder, still you can hear distortion at high volume.

NOTE: I use a generic audio driver (R 2.81) since it gives me more sound customization. Moreover, the default audio driver is broken (sound bad, same with my previous Y520) with Dolby Audio app. I had uninstalled them and do a clean Windows install; therefore, I have no idea how to reinstall Dolby Audio app now. However, you need to update the driver after every shut down/sleep to make the audio work (otherwise no sound), which can be quite annoying. I’ll update again after I do a second clean Windows install. Update: After Windows Update, the audio works fine after disable and enable it (may require restart). Dolby Audio app also installed, however the profiles don't work with this driver.

WIFI adapter is Realtek 8822BE 2x2 (vary in regions) which is decent.

Battery life is surprisingly decent. With my 'Light' profile (more on that later) and best battery mode, it lasted 4.5 to 5 hours of lectures (browsing lecture notes, some web browsing and typing documents. WIFI enabled and screen brightness at 20%) with around 25% capacity left (from 100%). It has 3 cell 52.5Wh battery.

Part 3: Cooling performance

The cooling design consists of 2 heatpipes with 1 shared on CPU+GPU. The relatively large and powerful fans are located at left and right sides. There is a small heatsink on both sides, stretched from the main heatsink. Unfortunately, the stock paste is really bad (20C temp difference in CB15 multi core, ~45C idle temps) and the charger is faulty (same problem with my previous Y520: buzzing sound when GPU is under load, causing instability). Therefore, I decided to provide performance results after everything has settled down.

Update: New charger is working fine. Repaste is done, CPU temp dropped around 15C under load. GPU temp not much difference. However, uneven core temps is still present after repaste (~10C difference) so expect a few degrees lower in other 'normal' units. No change in idle temps.

Update 2: Second repaste is done

I've undervolted -170mv on both core and cache, anything below that will cause random instability. -25mv on iGPU. -200mv will result in instant crash. Your results may vary though. I have made 3 profiles via Throttlestop:

1. Performance - turbo limits 40,40,40,39, Speedshift 1, BD Prochot disabled

2. Light/battery - turbo limits 40,35,30,25, Speedshift 180, BD Prochot enabled

3. (alternative) 3.5 - turbo limits 40,39,37,35, Speedshift 1, BD Prochot disabled

For GPU, I have made 3 profiles in MSI Afterburner:

1. 1772MHz@0.95V (Highest performance)

2. 1734MHz@0.925V

3. 1696MHz@0.9V

Max stable frequency at 1.05V max (don't want to go further): 1898MHz stable, 1911MHz sometimes (must set 1923MHz@1.05V, let the frequency drop by itself)

All tests are tested at ambient temp of ~30C. Laptop is plugged in. The fans take a while to speed up when load is applied. CPU and GPU are undervolted (CPU 3.9GHz all core, GPU 1734MHz with +196MHz memory clock).

CPU temp - Cinebench R15 multi core

847cb (after Spectre+Meltdown update), 860cb before update.

3.9GHz all core at ~38W. Max temp 76C, min temp 63C. Low-medium fan speed

GPU temp - Unigine Heaven - medium quality, moderate tesselation, AA x2, 1080p

56C 1734MHz@0.925V, low fan noise

CSGO (Mirage, no bots) - 1024x768, lowest settings, FXAA VSync Motion blur disabled

~320 FPS

CPU: 71-78C 3.9GHz 28-36W

GPU: 54-55C 1734MHz

Medium fan noise

CSGO - 1920x1080, lowest settings, FXAA VSync Motion blur disabled

~220 FPS

CPU: 71-78C 3.9GHz 28-34W

GPU: 57C 1734MHz

Medium fan noise

CSGO - 1920x1080, highest settings, FXAA VSync Motion blur disabled

~195 FPS

CPU: 73-78C 3.9GHz 28-38W

GPU: 59-60C 1734MHz

Medium-high fan noise

DOTA 2 5v5 bots - 1080p, fastest preset, pre-game scene only (FPS very instable in D2 especially team fights, expect a slight reduction in many scenes)

~160 FPS

CPU: 67-72C 3.9GHz 24-27W

GPU: 51C 1493+MHz (underutilized, except a few more degrees on full turbo 1734MHz)

Low-medium fan noise

DOTA 2 - 1080p, best looking preset

~110 FPS

CPU: 72-78C 3.9GHz 26-29W

Medium fan noise

Notes:

• CFL-H runs hot. You have to do undervolt and limit the boost clock in idle/light loads, otherwise the fans will go crazy in idle/light loads. With ambient temp about 30+C, the fans may ramp up suddenly and settle down in 2-3 seconds in idle/light loads. In 20+ A/C environment, this doesn’t occur.
  • The default power limits are impressive - PL1: 60W, PL2: 90W, which explains a score of over 1200cb with a stock 8750H in the first run despite high temps
  • The max fan speed in Y530 is ~50 dBA (rarely reached after tuning) which is noticeably higher than Y520, however the large fans resulted in lower frequency noise, meaning that the fan noise will not be VERY distracting even at full speed.
  • I’m running at 44WW BIOS which has some performance tweaks applied compared to the old, stock BIOS (20 something). Some external reviews are using the old BIOS.
  • Fan stages – silent (fan very slow), light (~32dBA), light-medium (~35dBA), medium (~40dBA), medium-high, high, extreme (~50dBA)
  • Note on the NVMe SSD: It does run hot and throttle under prolonged load, adding a heatsink helps
  • Idle temp stabilizes at <45C (very slow fan speed)
  • Metal part at the bottom (under CPU and GPU) can be hot after putting medium/heavy workload on CPU+GPU
  • Y730 seems to have better CPU cooling compared to Y530
  • Temps might be a little higher when running dual channel memory (will upgrade in future to test out)

Part 4: Miscellaneous

The laptop is fairly light, about 2.3kg and 24mm thickness (~17mm for bottom chassis). The footprint is also relatively small.

There are 2 power indicator lights: One is on the Thinkpad style power button, another one is on the right side. Both are white coloured lights. Charging indicator light is at the back (blocked by display when used).

You don’t have to turn your head to align the ports at the back when you want to utilize those ports (eg plug in charger) as there are icons of the ports on top of the back chassis. There is no SD card reader in this model, so take note if you use it quite often.

The 720p ‘nosecam’ can be fixed by adjusting the lid opening angle to ~135 degrees, Image quality is decent.

Lenovo Nerve Sense app is integrated into Lenovo Vantage app. Here are the features:

-Cooling boost (max fans)

-Prevent mistaken input

Unfortunately, conservation mode in Vantage is gone after clean Windows install; however, you can download Onekey Optimizer to get back conservation mode. Also, you cannot turn off the Y light on the lid.

Part 5: Problems encountered so far

1. Defective AC adapter, bad stock paste

2. Touchpad can go crazy: randomly bugged (and no driver can be downloaded) - seems to be solved with some custom Synaptics drivers and clean install audio driver

3. Defective caps lock: cannot register (and hard to be pressed) when pressed on the indicator light part

4. SSD freezes for split second when opening apps – might be just Samsung's problem, may need firmware update

5. Optimus issue – freezes in YouTube for a couple seconds (common among Pascal GPUs)

Conclusion: Excellent budget gaming laptop

TL;DR:

Pros:

Spoiler

Good cooling solution

Improved lid and hinges

Fairly compact+subtle look+thin bezels

Optional 144Hz IPS panel (1050TI and 1060 only)

Surprisingly decent battery life (after some tweaks)

Decent keyboard

Plenty of ports, most located at the back for better cable management

Cons:

Spoiler

Bad stock paste and potentially bad heatsink (tripod)

Some driver issues

Fingerprint magnet

Only marginal improvement in overall build quality, touchpad and audio (compared to Y520)

Fan control in idle/light loads could be better (not a problem in low ambient temp)

Can be a little pricey among all competitors (depends on region,1060 model has good value in where I live)

Thanks for reading! Let me know if there are mistakes in the review and be sure to stay tuned for more updates.

Bonus Section - Gallery (thanks @D13H4RD for the photos, amazing photography!)

Sorry if it looks dusty. this is taken after a few months of usage

Spoiler

1.PNG.2b7d2e39e4907409ef6220670bd8587f.PNG

2.png.fe94b00b94e5dc00c62a76ef9473c7c9.png

3.png.b93dd21445c2c3fb5d2e669b50ed7a1a.png

4.png.895ff753a2f52271c76c0fefab4249ad.png

6.png.7777f5b9755b25ef894d5088d8559e8a.png5.png.63b8882c4c287813b9137aa01ebb9b92.png

7.png.aa55fe7ff598161c3856dfd7a21261b0.png

8.png.4f52ea2332a4d997eba7cb0aea6cc365.png

9.png.db297fdb5502641a63fddeed36c8e19d.png

10.png.c99a7805d5196c3b49a775e2b9edc5b9.png

11.png.ed6be9f78dec85ddda94347361b21885.png

12.png.f34286fb1aa585e3d8efdf8d00cb9a6d.png

13.png.bf12907e243d41dad1e7c6858974d7be.png

14.png.2e729cc613c29ff99a0260271a1a99df.png

15.png.633cca9ce3184d155a71facae6303582.png

Laptop recommender and enthusiast

My daily driver: Lenovo Legion Y530 [REVIEW]

How to undervolt CPU and GPU in laptops

Laptop Reviews:

Spoiler

Lenovo Legion Y520 - no.16 most viewed review in LTT forum (as of 25/11)

Acer Aspire 5 Illegear Raven Commandos Glock 5

Specs of my Y530:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-8300H Nvidia GTX1050TI 2GB LP156WFG-SPB2 144Hz IPS 16GB 2666MHZ DDR4 RAM (2x8GB) Samsung PM981 256GB NVMe SSD+Seagate ST1000LM035 1TB 5400RPM HDD (spare)

My Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 (Snapdragon 625, 3GB RAM, 32GB ROM)

22 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Hi everyone. This is my fourth review in LTT forum. I will be reviewing the Lenovo Legion Y530 laptop. I bought it for MYR 3351.15 (about USD 811) with 15% student discount applied. Main specs of the laptop are as below:

Reveal hidden contents

i5-8300H

GTX 1050TI 2GB

144Hz IPS (LG)

2x2 WIFI

Now you probably questioning me: Why 2GB VRAM? Well, here’s the thing: My original budget is MYR 3000. That means that I’ve stretched my budget by quite a margin. Extra VRAM costs more. Moreover, my games run absolutely fine with 2GB VRAM.

I would have still gone with a 1050Ti 4GB as 2GB is not enough in 2018 imho.

The package comes with a few documents (no user manual), an 135W Liteon AC Adapter and the laptop itself. The visuals outside the box is great and the packaging inside is excellent. I also purchased a business laptop bag and a wireless mouse for only 2 bucks.

1. This is a quick review; thus, I’ll not cover everything here. Things like ports, keyboard layout etc can be found in external reviews.

2. My English Language is not that great since it's not my native language. I apologize if you find the description too simple and boring.

4. I will often compare this laptop with my previous laptop – Legion Y520. You can check the review here.

Link doesn't work.

snip

Interesting... I don't know if I'd recommend it based on what you said as it sounds very middle of the road and mediocre but I guess for consumers focussing on bottom dollar gaming laptops it should be fine.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill

Samsung Galaxy S8 Exynos variant (Late 2018 - present) | Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 2016 Edition (Late 2018 - present) | Lenovo Thinkpad T480 i7-8550U with UHD 620 Graphics (Mid 2018 - present)

Samaritan XL (Early 2019 - present) - AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (8C/16T) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 16GB DDR4-3200MHz ,  Asus ROG Strix RX Vega 56 , Corsair RM850i PSU, Corsair H100i v2 CPU Cooler, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 2TB HDD (2018), Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD (2014), NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML 140 Pro

12 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I would have still gone with a 1050Ti 4GB as 2GB is not enough in 2018 imho

Most ppl need 4GB VRAM so this is just me

Link doesn't work

Will fix, thanks for pointing out

Interesting... I don't know if I'd recommend it based on what you said as it sounds very middle of the road and mediocre but I guess for consumers focussing on bottom dollar gaming laptops it should be fine

It's a good budget gaming laptop with optional 144Hz IPS which is rare for this price point. It does have a few sacrifices of course since it's still called' budget'. At least the cooling solution is pretty decent, ruined by a bad stock paste though.

Laptop Reviews:

Spoiler

Specs of my Y530:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-8300H Nvidia GTX1050TI 2GB LP156WFG-SPB2 144Hz IPS 16GB 2666MHZ DDR4 RAM (2x8GB) Samsung PM981 256GB NVMe SSD+Seagate ST1000LM035 1TB 5400RPM HDD (spare)

If you need photos, HMU.

I'll bring over the camera.

Please tag me if you need assistance or if you want me to contribute to a topic 

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5

3 hours ago, KelvinTeh98 said:

Hi, I like to know that how do you get the student price? And the price for i7 8th gen, gtx 1060 6gb, 144hz panel is just RM5119?

Ask sales representative in the chat banner in their website

Yes 1060 model is cheap. But I'll advise you to get 8300H if it's only for gaming

Laptop Reviews:

Spoiler

Specs of my Y530:

Spoiler

HI, I have bought my Y530 too. I notice you mentioned the display model is LP156WFG-SPB2. According to this website http://www.panelook.com/LP156WF7-SPB2_LG%20Display_15.6_LCM_overview_28255.html the display is actually 60 hz only and from this site http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/any-info-on-this-display-panel.822830/ you will find a person mentioned Are we simply receiving that same exact panel from 2016 but with faster microprocessors that permit it to reach 144Hz refresh rate reliably?

24 minutes ago, gongn53 said:

LP156WFG-SPB2

Apparently there are several variations for LP156WFG-SPB2. I got panel ID of LGD05CF. There is LGD05E8 too.

Laptop Reviews:

Spoiler

Specs of my Y530:

Spoiler

Fantastic review mate, well done. 

I just ordered one for myself with these specs.

I'll let you know how it performs and also if I got the same screen or not.

Crimson - Lenovo Ideapad y410p
Windows 10 x64 | Intel Core i7-4700MQ | 16GB DDR3L-1600 | Nvidia GeForce GT 755M SLI| 14.1" 900p Matte | 1TB 850 EVO mSATA | 512GB ZTC M.2 | 1TB 5400RPM HDD| BD-RE | 9 Cell Li-ion | 170W AC Adapter
1 hour ago, LanceAvion said:

snip

Thanks. I'm eager to know the thermal performance since you opt for the highest specs (most heat output)

Laptop Reviews:

Spoiler

Specs of my Y530:

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, Taylork057 said:

Is there any way you can post a screenshot of your throttle stop settings? Im having trouble understanding where your putting your third and 4th power settings

PM me, I can guide you on how to do it

Laptop Reviews:

Spoiler

Specs of my Y530:

Spoiler

[Updated with photos]

Laptop Reviews:

Spoiler

Specs of my Y530:

Spoiler

On 9/22/2018 at 11:21 PM, GeneXiS_X said:

Reveal hidden contents

i5-8300H

GTX 1050TI 2GB

144Hz IPS (LG)

2x2 WIFI

Now you probably questioning me: Why 2GB VRAM? Well, here’s the thing: My original budget is MYR 3000. That means that I’ve stretched my budget by quite a margin. Extra VRAM costs more. Moreover, my games run absolutely fine with 2GB VRAM. Nevertheless, I strongly suggest getting 4GB VRAM if you're buying this model.

5. Gallery can be found below.

If you have any questions, kindly leave a comment below.

External review for reference: Notebookcheck, Notebookcheck (1060)Ultrabookreview

Part 1: Build quality, input devices

The build quality is kind of a mixed bag compared to Y520. Some improvements and some downgrades at the same time. Overall, I would say it’s a marginal improvement.

The chassis is all plastic. There are 5 kinds of plastic used here:

-Soft touch plastic – whole keyboard deck (same with Y520)

-Reflective plastic – hinge cover

-Rough texture but smooth to touch – touchpad physical buttons, exhaust area, bottom cover

-Smooth texture – bezel (same with Y520), back chassis area

-‘O’ texture (zipping sound when scratched, looks high quality) – lid cover

Unfortunately, this also means that it’s still a fingerprint/oil magnet. Grease is hard to be cleaned.

Starting off with the good things, the lid has significantly improved compared to Y520. It feels much sturdier as result of thicker lid. There's only little flex when force is pushed onto the lid cover. The new design comes with 2 hinges, meaning that the lid is less susceptible to twisting, however the rigidity when twisted is only average-good. The keyboard deck also feels solid and has thicker body compared to Y520. No flex can be found even it's pressed hard. The hinges have also improved and feel much solid. There's only minor wobbling, one hand lid opening is easy and the lid can be opened to 180 degrees.

Now for the cons: Noticeable flex can be found in the keyboard area, bottom bezel and the area between keyboard and touchpad. Little flex can be found in keyboard deck area that’s near the keyboard, including left and right sides of the keyboard area. Rigidity has to be sacrificed for the thinner chassis, unfortunately. Still, this doesn't affect the typing experience (more on that later).

Note that the middle hinge cover is just for design purpose and hiding the display cables, it's not attached to any hinges. Left hinge is attached to the left only while right hinge is attached to the right side only. Also, the bottom bezel is thick as it needs to place the webcam, hinges and display cables inside.

Keyboard – The keyboard is very similar to the one in Y520, which is a good thing. I feel like the travel distance is still the same (1.7mm as advertised) and the soft stop is still there, however the actuation force is slightly less. The keys feel a little clicky just like before. There's no spongy feel when typing despite the keyboard flex. There's 2 stages of white backlight. I wish they keep the menu key instead of print screen key.

UPDATE: The replacement keyboard has slightly worse typing feel. The keys near the middle part are a bit mushy (spongy feel) due to minor keyboard flex which doesn't exist before that. Has slightly increased actuation force.

Touchpad – The touchpad also bring me to mixed feelings. Good thing first, it uses Precision driver. Gliding, gestures and everything else are smooth and accurate which is a huge improvement from Y520 Elan driver. However, the plastic surface can turn into rough surface (which hurts your skin) when there's a bit of water/oil on your fingers or, you pressed too hard on the surface. The physical button is a downgrade because you need to press very hard and the click sound is even louder; however, the centered mount for the buttons which can be found in Y520, is gone. I wish the touchpad could be a bit taller and aligned slightly to the right.

Part 2: Display, Audio, Connectivity, Battery

The display is the thing I liked (and wanted) the most. It's a 144Hz IPS panel from LG with matte finish (display ID: LGD05CF, or LP156WFG-SPB2). As you can aspect from a high refresh rate panel, everything feels smooth. It gets bright (20% brightness is enough for indoor use) with 300 nits max (advertised), colours are vibrant with 72% NTSC colour coverage (advertised). However, it lacks the low response times which can be found in LGD05C0 panel in higher end models (Aero 15, GS65, Blade 15 etc). That being said, you can definitely notice some ghosting in extremely fast movements (it’s still an IPS anyway), however it’s not a deal breaker. Confirmed: The LP156WFG-SPB2 has low response times, although you can still notice minimal ghosting since it's still and IPS. Also, the contrast is just average (not mediocre). I had to do some minor adjustments on it. There is little backlight bleed on the corners but not noticeable in normal use.

Audio is slightly better than Y520 despite the front facing, down firing Harman branded speakers. It has slightly better lows/bass (still no subwoofer) and highs. The volume is also slightly louder, still you can hear distortion at high volume.

NOTE: I use a generic audio driver (R 2.81) since it gives me more sound customization. Moreover, the default audio driver is broken (sound bad, same with my previous Y520) with Dolby Audio app. I had uninstalled them and do a clean Windows install; therefore, I have no idea how to reinstall Dolby Audio app now. However, you need to update the driver after every shut down/sleep to make the audio work (otherwise no sound), which can be quite annoying. I’ll update again after I do a second clean Windows install. Update: After Windows Update, the audio works fine after disable and enable it (may require restart). Dolby Audio app also installed, however the profiles don't work with this driver.

WIFI adapter is Realtek 8822BE 2x2 (vary in regions) which is decent.

Battery life is surprisingly decent. With my 'Light' profile (more on that later) and best battery mode, it lasted 4.5 to 5 hours of lectures (browsing lecture notes, some web browsing and typing documents. WIFI enabled and screen brightness at 20%) with around 25% capacity left (from 100%). It has 3 cell 52.5Wh battery.

Part 3: Cooling performance

The cooling design consists of 2 heatpipes with 1 shared on CPU+GPU. The relatively large and powerful fans are located at left and right sides. There is a small heatsink on both sides, stretched from the main heatsink. Unfortunately, the stock paste is really bad (20C temp difference in CB15 multi core, ~45C idle temps) and the charger is faulty (same problem with my previous Y520: buzzing sound when GPU is under load, causing instability). Therefore, I decided to provide performance results after everything has settled down.

Update: New charger is working fine. Repaste is done, CPU temp dropped around 15C under load. GPU temp not much difference. However, uneven core temps is still present after repaste (~10C difference) so expect a few degrees lower in other 'normal' units. No change in idle temps.

Update 2: Second repaste is done

I've undervolted -170mv on both core and cache, anything below that will cause random instability. -25mv on iGPU. -200mv will result in instant crash. Your results may vary though. I have made 3 profiles via Throttlestop:

1. Performance - turbo limits 40,40,40,39, Speedshift 1, BD Prochot disabled

2. Light/battery - turbo limits 40,35,30,25, Speedshift 180, BD Prochot enabled

3. (alternative) 3.5 - turbo limits 40,39,37,35, Speedshift 1, BD Prochot disabled

For GPU, I have made 3 profiles in MSI Afterburner:

1. 1772MHz@0.95V (Highest performance)

2. 1734MHz@0.925V

3. 1696MHz@0.9V

Max stable frequency at 1.05V max (don't want to go further): 1898MHz stable, 1911MHz sometimes (must set 1923MHz@1.05V, let the frequency drop by itself)

All tests are tested at ambient temp of ~30C. Laptop is plugged in. The fans take a while to speed up when load is applied. CPU and GPU are undervolted (CPU 3.9GHz all core, GPU 1734MHz with +196MHz memory clock).

CPU temp - Cinebench R15 multi core

847cb (after Spectre+Meltdown update), 860cb before update.

3.9GHz all core at ~38W. Max temp 76C, min temp 63C. Low-medium fan speed

GPU temp - Unigine Heaven - medium quality, moderate tesselation, AA x2, 1080p

56C 1734MHz@0.925V, low fan noise

CSGO (Mirage, no bots) - 1024x768, lowest settings, FXAA VSync Motion blur disabled

~320 FPS

CPU: 71-78C 3.9GHz 28-36W

GPU: 54-55C 1734MHz

Medium fan noise

CSGO - 1920x1080, lowest settings, FXAA VSync Motion blur disabled

~220 FPS

CPU: 71-78C 3.9GHz 28-34W

GPU: 57C 1734MHz

Medium fan noise

CSGO - 1920x1080, highest settings, FXAA VSync Motion blur disabled

~195 FPS

CPU: 73-78C 3.9GHz 28-38W

Medium-high fan noise

DOTA 2 5v5 bots - 1080p, fastest preset, pre-game scene only (FPS very instable in D2 especially team fights, expect a slight reduction in many scenes)

~160 FPS

CPU: 67-72C 3.9GHz 24-27W

GPU: 51C 1493+MHz (underutilized, except a few more degrees on full turbo 1734MHz)

Low-medium fan noise

DOTA 2 - 1080p, best looking preset

~110 FPS

CPU: 72-78C 3.9GHz 26-29W

Medium fan noise

Notes:

• CFL-H runs hot. You have to do undervolt and limit the boost clock in idle/light loads, otherwise the fans will go crazy in idle/light loads. With ambient temp about 30+C, the fans may ramp up suddenly and settle down in 2-3 seconds in idle/light loads. In 20+ A/C environment, this doesn’t occur.
  • The default power limits are impressive - PL1: 60W, PL2: 90W, which explains a score of over 1200cb with a stock 8750H in the first run despite high temps
  • The max fan speed in Y530 is ~50 dBA (rarely reached after tuning) which is noticeably higher than Y520, however the large fans resulted in lower frequency noise, meaning that the fan noise will not be VERY distracting even at full speed.
  • I’m running at 44WW BIOS which has some performance tweaks applied compared to the old, stock BIOS (20 something). Some external reviews are using the old BIOS.
  • Fan stages – silent (fan very slow), light (~32dBA), light-medium (~35dBA), medium (~40dBA), medium-high, high, extreme (~50dBA)
  • Note on the NVMe SSD: It does run hot and throttle under prolonged load, adding a heatsink helps
  • Idle temp stabilizes at <45C (very slow fan speed)
  • Metal part at the bottom (under CPU and GPU) can be hot after putting medium/heavy workload on CPU+GPU
  • Y730 seems to have better CPU cooling compared to Y530
  • Temps might be a little higher when running dual channel memory (will upgrade in future to test out)

Part 4: Miscellaneous

The laptop is fairly light, about 2.3kg and 24mm thickness (~17mm for bottom chassis). The footprint is also relatively small.

There are 2 power indicator lights: One is on the Thinkpad style power button, another one is on the right side. Both are white coloured lights. Charging indicator light is at the back (blocked by display when used).

You don’t have to turn your head to align the ports at the back when you want to utilize those ports (eg plug in charger) as there are icons of the ports on top of the back chassis. There is no SD card reader in this model, so take note if you use it quite often.

The 720p ‘nosecam’ can be fixed by adjusting the lid opening angle to ~135 degrees, Image quality is decent.

Lenovo Nerve Sense app is integrated into Lenovo Vantage app. Here are the features:

-Cooling boost (max fans)

-Prevent mistaken input

Unfortunately, conservation mode in Vantage is gone after clean Windows install; however, you can download Onekey Optimizer to get back conservation mode. Also, you cannot turn off the Y light on the lid.

Part 5: Problems encountered so far

1. Defective AC adapter, bad stock paste

2. Touchpad can go crazy: randomly bugged (and no driver can be downloaded) - seems to be solved with some custom Synaptics drivers and clean install audio driver

3. Defective caps lock: cannot register (and hard to be pressed) when pressed on the indicator light part

4. SSD freezes for split second when opening apps – might be just Samsung's problem, may need firmware update

5. Optimus issue – freezes in YouTube for a couple seconds (common among Pascal GPUs)

Conclusion: Excellent budget gaming laptop

TL;DR:

Pros:

Reveal hidden contents

Good cooling solution

Improved lid and hinges

Fairly compact+subtle look+thin bezels

Optional 144Hz IPS panel (1050TI and 1060 only)

Surprisingly decent battery life (after some tweaks)

Decent keyboard

Plenty of ports, most located at the back for better cable management

Cons:

Reveal hidden contents

Bad stock paste and potentially bad heatsink (tripod)

Some driver issues

Fingerprint magnet

Only marginal improvement in overall build quality, touchpad and audio (compared to Y520)

Fan control in idle/light loads could be better (not a problem in low ambient temp)

Can be a little pricey among all competitors (depends on region,1060 model has good value in where I live)

Thanks for reading! Let me know if there are mistakes in the review and be sure to stay tuned for more updates.

Bonus Section - Gallery (thanks @D13H4RD for the photos, amazing photography!)

Sorry if it looks dusty. this is taken after a few months of usage

Reveal hidden contents

1.PNG.2b7d2e39e4907409ef6220670bd8587f.PNG

2.png.fe94b00b94e5dc00c62a76ef9473c7c9.png

3.png.b93dd21445c2c3fb5d2e669b50ed7a1a.png

4.png.895ff753a2f52271c76c0fefab4249ad.png

6.png.7777f5b9755b25ef894d5088d8559e8a.png5.png.63b8882c4c287813b9137aa01ebb9b92.png

7.png.aa55fe7ff598161c3856dfd7a21261b0.png

8.png.4f52ea2332a4d997eba7cb0aea6cc365.png

9.png.db297fdb5502641a63fddeed36c8e19d.png

10.png.c99a7805d5196c3b49a775e2b9edc5b9.png

11.png.ed6be9f78dec85ddda94347361b21885.png

12.png.f34286fb1aa585e3d8efdf8d00cb9a6d.png

13.png.bf12907e243d41dad1e7c6858974d7be.png

14.png.2e729cc613c29ff99a0260271a1a99df.png

15.png.633cca9ce3184d155a71facae6303582.png

Hey, how do you pay for the laptop. I'm using direct deposit and Maybank says they cannot verify Lenovo's Citibank account. (I'm using IBFT). 

7 hours ago, Xaniel said:

Hey, how do you pay for the laptop. I'm using direct deposit and Maybank says they cannot verify Lenovo's Citibank account. (I'm using IBFT). 

Debit card via direct deposit

Laptop Reviews:

Spoiler

Specs of my Y530:

Spoiler