GIGABYTE Notice - USTR Finalizes Tariffs on $200 Billion of Chinese Imports

Slayerking92

Looks like the price of hardware is going up soon.

ab86c2f4-336a-43a8-96b5-527f2b2ad384.png
 September 21, 2018
f883f36d-183f-4068-9fde-b251ed33cc04.png

Dear Valued Partners,

Please view this message in its entirety as it will impact your business. Here is the official statement from the Office of the United States Trade Representative, released on September 18, 2018.

After days of public hearings held by the US Trade Representative from August 20 to August 24, the USTR has finalized tariffs on $200 billion of Chinese Imports

Current Status:

• Products on the $200 billion list - Full list here
  • Tariffs will be effective starting September 24, 2018 and initially will be in the amount of 10 percent.
  • Starting January 1, 2019, the level of the additional tariffs will be increased to 25 percent
7ff52e62-4e96-4d76-ae0a-96b6d7903673.png

For further questions, please reach out to GIGABYTE Sales.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

I don't live in the states but seeing Keyboards not being tariffed pleases me.

But there's still a little time left for things to be reversed, for those who want to hold out hope.

Well there's little to no effect for my since my country has a FTA with China and most other manufacturing countries, would be nice if the president stopped complaining about trade wars its starting to push some pessimism into my shares folio 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

1 minute ago, rawrdaysgoby said:

Guys should be buying all the cheap SSD asap While it is still cheap

Yeah not a bad time to buy SSD's or ram either since tarrifs probably apply to those, and Samsung not increasing their supply.

Well thats unfortunate. Was planning a full 2080ti 9900k Z390 one stop upgrade.

The funny part about this is that those paying the tariffs are the US people. 

And I doubt many will switch to products not from China over that either. About everything is manufactured in China. 

Buying from the US will just be more expensive than buying from China + paying tariffs.

Still no idea how this can be a "war" that can be won. The US already lost. It is like dealing with Switzerland and "punishing" them with not exporting any more cheese TO them. Like dealing with Germany and not allowing them any more US cars. The US has basically nothing outside of silicon valley that is of any interest to the world. Those companies only sit there due to the near perfect conditions for tech. If their sales suffer, they will move on elsewhere and just pay the electricity to copy the conditions.

The US was already losing its leadership position in the world, but this legislation just made that process go way faster. Will be hard to fix.

Can't wait for this presidency to be done and over with. What a farce it's been.

I'm just hoping for it to not affect Canadian prices too much.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

13 hours ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

The funny part about this is that those paying the tariffs are the US people. 

And I doubt many will switch to products not from China over that either. About everything is manufactured in China. 

Buying from the US will just be more expensive than buying from China + paying tariffs.

Still no idea how this can be a "war" that can be won. The US already lost. It is like dealing with Switzerland and "punishing" them with not exporting any more cheese TO them. Like dealing with Germany and not allowing them any more US cars. The US has basically nothing outside of silicon valley that is of any interest to the world. Those companies only sit there due to the near perfect conditions for tech. If their sales suffer, they will move on elsewhere and just pay the electricity to copy the conditions.

The US was already losing its leadership position in the world, but this legislation just made that process go way faster. Will be hard to fix.

The USA is, depending on the year, the 2nd or 3rd largest exporter in the world. Largest Food exporter. Largest importer of non-perishable items. Oh, and the world's largest market. The USA is the world leader in IP, R&D and Business Services, along with most heavy manufacturing tech and a near monopoly on extraction technologies.

Though, for our purposes, the USA is also the world's leading exporter of "Fake News". Trump won by playing the game. Re-read my first paragraph. Nearly all manufacturing can be moved back to the USA in 1-2 years, if necessary. As technological production automates more & more, there's little reason to have line workers that a paid extremely poorly to put things together. 

But, on the Fake News aspect, that's really why people don't understand these issues. We're victims of highly interested groups that want to push very specific economic interests. And those economic interests go against the interests of the majority of Americans. It's fairly simple. The tariffs change calculations for everyone involved in an industry. Sure, Americans, for a time, might be pay $2 extra on a $20 USD purchase, but how is that different than price fluctuations that generally happen? But that pricing difference changes what local producers can do within a market. 25% import tariff can protect entire industries, as that's a pretty standard level of tariff in most of the world. 

Leadership positions are only lost because you get invaded & conquered. Or, in the case of much in the States, foreign & domestic enemies of the people conspired to exfiltrate the wealth of the country. Trump's being "nice" at this stage. The USA can obliterate China's economy overnight, which is why the "trade normalization" process is going in steps. As much as China doesn't like this, this was hashed out back in early 2017 when Xi visited Florida. What we're seeing is the slow rollout of a process that'll still take a few more years, as to keep the disruptions down a bit. The power of long-term planning.

13 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Can't wait for this presidency to be done and over with. What a farce it's been.

6 more years.

It looks like they're going to push CAD to 1.4, 1.5 and possibly far higher than that. Might take a trip down to 1.2 before they do it though. It's the likely explanation for why Trudeau & company have been ordered to tank the NAFTA negotiations. You guys are in for some pain over the next few years.

I doubt those things are true at all. 300mil people exporting more than the remaining 7,8 billion? Yah, ehm,... no.

It may be true if you break it down into single countries and consider the whole USA a single country, but that is not how markets work today.

If this goes out of hand, there are over 7 billion other people to cater to, and most of those have WAY more disposable income than any US citizen will ever see in their life.

31 minutes ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

I doubt those things are true at all. 300mil people exporting more than the remaining 7,8 billion? Yah, ehm,... no.

It may be true if you break it down into single countries and consider the whole USA a single country, but that is not how markets work today.

If this goes out of hand, there are over 7 billion other people to cater to, and most of those have WAY more disposable income than any US citizen will ever see in their life.

LIL things like this remind me how much i hate being american 

3 hours ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

have you ever been to india or africa, most people there live with less than 70 dollars per month, and those are the ones with 4-5 children, its certainly not true that most people have more to spend than a US citizien 

13 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

The USA is, depending on the year, the 2nd or 3rd largest exporter in the world. Largest Food exporter. Largest importer of non-perishable items. Oh, and the world's largest market. The USA is the world leader in IP, R&D and Business Services, along with most heavy manufacturing tech and a near monopoly on extraction technologies.

well if you consider the EU as a block, the US is not the largest food exporter, it doesn't even export more than only 2 combined countries from EU, let alone the all EU. The rest would probably follow the same trend. It's also just plain logic as you guys have trade deficits with almost any country on earth.

You are very good at importing, that's for sure and also plain logic.

16 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Sigh baby orange

The Chinese could drop their Tariffs on American Products, then the US would drop their tarriffs...

I find it fair to put a Tarriff on Products that come from a Country that puts Tariffs on our stuff...

And there is also a workaround for this:
Make the stuff over on that Island to the south-east of China - problem solved. 

Or china drops their Tarriffs, then the US would drop theirs, easy as that. 

Because that's the goal in the first place, to get rid of the Chinese Tariffs...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

13 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

It looks like they're going to push CAD to 1.4, 1.5 and possibly far higher than that. Might take a trip down to 1.2 before they do it though. It's the likely explanation for why Trudeau & company have been ordered to tank the NAFTA negotiations. You guys are in for some pain over the next few years.

You what?

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2018/08/31/bombshell-leak-to-toronto-star-upends-nafta-talks-in-secret-so-insulting-remarks-trump-says-he-isnt-compromising-at-all-with-canada.html

I mean Trump's literally admitted to it, I think you're getting influenced by some of that fake news you talked about.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

The Chinese could drop their Tariffs on American Products, then the US would drop their tarriffs...

I find it fair to put a Tarriff on Products that come from a Country that puts Tariffs on our stuff...

And there is also a workaround for this:
Make the stuff over on that Island to the south-east of China - problem solved. 

Or china drops their Tarriffs, then the US would drop theirs, easy as that. 

Because that's the goal in the first place, to get rid of the Chinese Tariffs...

If the US lowers their tarrifs to the Chinese (and yes the US always had tarrifs) then RIP American workers. Not only because you can't compete with them but also because you guys love to buy stuff from other countries.

Trump wants no tarrifs for nobody, it would help some big US companies like Ford or Apple to export more and make more money but it would be a disaster for anyone else in the US. It's hard to follow he's logic... as usual

we wouldn't need tariffs if china played fairly but they certainly do not, if i was commanding the Us i would put tariffs on china and no one else,

error 404 non political statement not found

Damn this got real political real fast. 

This seemed a bit inevitable, we were let know what would likely have tariffs on them if this 200 billion in tariffs went forward and that the president was really pushing for them. I guess if you planned to upgrade, buy sooner rather than later? 

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

The "Trade War" exists due to the trade imbalance over 3 decades. Just to give an example, China’s imports of U.S. goods last year was just $154 billion. In the third round of tariffs, Trump implemented $200 billion worth of tariffs on China's exports to the U.S. That's the extent of imbalance in the exchange of wealth (aka. trade). When money is constantly flowing in one direction to China, specific groups of people in the USA will suffer. This situation is the same with economic trades involving other countries. Taking wealth away from the USA in this way affects the middle to low-income groups much severely, which is something we have all seen in the past decades.

In the long term, high-income groups in the USA are not affected by this "Trade War". They have the social network and financial buffers required to adjust to the new conditions. On the other hand, without this "Trade War", US middle and low-income groups have to spend their money on purchasing foreign goods; this is because purchasing domestic products would simply be far too expensive due to differences in costs of living and thus the amount required to pay a worker in China versus the USA. That affects the price of goods produced overseas versus domestically. As this continues to happen, money flows outside of the USA to other countries and foreign companies, the government's revenue decreases, and USA has gradually less money to spend on critical infrastructure like education, electricity, and so on. In this case, China clearly benefits the most because they have been extracting wealth from the USA in a way that only benefits:

1) USA high-income groups.

2) China high-income groups.

3) China small and big manufacturers.

Without this "Trade War", there wouldn't be an economic restructuring around the world, and the wealth inequality would only continue to deteriorate in USA. So although Gigabyte and other Asian brand products will be more expensive, I do believe that there will be renewed innovation in manufacturing within the USA, leading to a surge in new discoveries, as companies are forced by governmental action to stop relying on cheap manpower and thereby continue using old technology.

This is a bit weird. Latest Gigabyte News article is from 18th September. Was this removed?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

7 minutes ago, Tenelia said:

The "Trade War" exists due to the trade imbalance over 3 decades. Just to give an example, China’s imports of U.S. goods last year was just $154 billion. In the third round of tariffs, Trump implemented $200 billion worth of tariffs on China's exports to the U.S. That's the extent of imbalance in the exchange of wealth (aka. trade). When money is constantly flowing in one direction to China, specific groups of people in the USA will suffer. This situation is the same with economic trades involving other countries. Taking wealth away from the USA in this way affects the middle to low-income groups much severely, which is something we have all seen in the past decades.

In the long term, high-income groups in the USA are not affected by this "Trade War". They have the social network and financial buffers required to adjust to the new conditions. On the other hand, without this "Trade War", US middle and low-income groups have to spend their money on purchasing foreign goods; this is because purchasing domestic products would simply be far too expensive due to differences in costs of living and thus the amount required to pay a worker in China versus the USA. That affects the price of goods produced overseas versus domestically. As this continues to happen, money flows outside of the USA to other countries and foreign companies, the government's revenue decreases, and USA has gradually less money to spend on critical infrastructure like education, electricity, and so on. In this case, China clearly benefits the most because they have been extracting wealth from the USA in a way that only benefits:

1) USA high-income groups.

2) China high-income groups.

3) China small and big manufacturers.

Without this "Trade War", there wouldn't be an economic restructuring around the world, and the wealth inequality would only continue to deteriorate in USA. So although Gigabyte and other Asian brand products will be more expensive, I do believe that there will be renewed innovation in manufacturing within the USA, leading to a surge in new discoveries, as companies are forced by governmental action to stop relying on cheap manpower and thereby continue using old technology.

Wheres a crazy idea, don't want to have a trade deficit don't buy so much from other countries. Do it yourselves. 

And a crazy question, if China removed all the tarrifs like you guys wanted how is that going to solve the problem that you guys buy to much from them? Or are you assuming they are all going to buy things from the US when they can make everything there for much less. And they simply don't have the purchasing power.

Were's the logic?

On 9/22/2018 at 12:28 PM, TetraSky said:

I don’t know why people keep complaining about the presidency.  He’s mainly a PR guy

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

I don’t know why people keep complaining about the presidency.  He’s mainly a PR guy

The US should adopt Australia's model for political leadership,  When the leader starts polling bad just kick him out and get someone new for a bit.  It's not like the people actually voted him in in the first place.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

39 minutes ago, mr moose said:

The US should adopt Australia's model for political leadership,  When the leader starts polling bad just kick him out and get someone new for a bit.  It's not like the people actually voted him in in the first place.

The world should just be Australia and New Zealand and the problems would go away.