Choosing a projector (first time)

ShadyHost

I'm interested in setting up a projector in my living room as I recently moved my TV upstairs to another room. 

I'm currently looking at this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Optoma-HD143X-Lumens-Theater-Projector/dp/B077C5FLJF/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1537458916&sr=1-4&keywords=1080p+projector

Simply because it's the cheapest one I can find that actually supports full 1080p as far as I can tell. 

Not really too worried about the raw image quality because this will mostly be used for my racing setup and maybe some light movie watching when people come over. 

I'm comfortable spending ~$500 on the projector alone
If there's one that is significantly better for a few extra hundred bucks then that's fine too - but only if it's leaps and bounds better.

Thoughts?

Personally I have an Epson 1040 got for around $400 something CAD. And it does the job perfectly well for now. I'm using it to hold me over until 4K projectors go under $1000. (Cheapest right now are around $2000)

I would go for the cheap Optoma if you are going to upgrade to 4K in a couple years anyways.

That projector is a very good one. Have you thought about other considerations like if you want external audio, mounting, throw distance, etc?

On 9/26/2018 at 9:48 PM, Afryingpan16 said:

Personally I have an Epson 1040 got for around $400 something CAD. And it does the job perfectly well for now. I'm using it to hold me over until 4K projectors go under $1000. (Cheapest right now are around $2000)

I would go for the cheap Optoma if you are going to upgrade to 4K in a couple years anyways.

I don't know where you are, but the Viewsonic PX747 (4K) is ~1100USD and can be occasionally found on sale for $999USD.

On 10/1/2018 at 9:57 PM, beavo451 said:

That projector is a very good one. Have you thought about other considerations like if you want external audio, mounting, throw distance, etc?

I don't know where you are, but the Viewsonic PX747 (4K) is ~1100USD and can be occasionally found on sale for $999USD.

I think I'm actually going to hold off on the projector until 4k is a bit more....attainable. 
I was able to check out a 1080p setup at a friend's house and he spent *cough* a little more than $500 on his projector. The color/brightness was great for sure but 1080p on a screen size that large is a bit worrisome. I'm coming from ~50" 4k TVs, + 2K/4k monitors.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not had a chance to see a screen big enough yet where I can see a difference between 1080 and 4K. Cant even see a difference on 150 inch. Anything bigger than that wont fit in my home.